Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Wisconsin Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Wisconsin Engines Single cylinder up to V4 engines.

Wisconsin Engines

Wisconsin VG4D - Surging throttle issue

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 221 times

Old 09-14-2019, 06:48:42 PM
Registered

Default Wisconsin VG4D - Surging throttle issue

Been tuning up a VG4D and have had a persistent throttle surging issue that I just can't seem to get sorted out.

I put a new carb on it yesterday (which did seem to reduce the surging slightly) and as far as I can tell all the linkage is set per the engine manual.

It's not really an issue below full throttle but unfortunately, the engine is on a man-lift that runs either at idle or full throttle.

Any thoughts on what I might check next?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2019, 07:07:25 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Wisconsin VG4D - Surging throttle issue

Maybe your not getting good gas flow.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:13:59 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,023 Times in 711 Posts

Manually put the choke on 1/4 of the way and see if it smooths out. If so you have a fuel delivery issue. Either a plugged jet in the carburetor, a bad gasket between the carburetor and the intake manifold or the carburetor has been improperly adjusted. If the choke does not fix anything, you simply have the carburetor to governor linkage set wrong. Do you have a service manual for your engine which shows how to set the governor? How many turns out is your main fuel adjustment screw?

Chris
Old 09-14-2019, 07:46:45 PM
Registered

Looks like it might be a fuel issue. I kicked the choke on 1/4 of the way as suggested and it obviously doesn't rev quite as high but there was no surging.

There is shutoff on the tank outlet that feeds the engine that has a really fine screen on it and given that there is a bit of rust visible in the new clear fuel filter, I wouldn't be surprised if that shutoff wasn't partially obstructed.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:20:10 PM
Registered

So an update

I replaced the fuel lines with clear fuel line, changed the fuel filter and installed new D16J spark plugs gapped to 0.030

...And it runs better but still hits the governor at full throttle.

Its clearly getting fuel unobstructed through the full system from the tank to the carb. I notice that I pulled the new plugs after running for a few minutes and noticed that they were already somewhat black so for some reason it's either still running too rich or it's not burning properly.

Whether that's the reason it's still repeatedly hitting the governor at full throttle