Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

New Old generators

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 3168 times

Old 11-13-2005, 12:44:32 PM
Registered

Default New Old generators

Hope I can post this here! Does anyone have any experience with the Listeroid engines and ST generator heads. Thanks for any and all information.

Last edited by ListerDiesel; 11-13-2005 at 02:53:28 PM. Reason: Spelling
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2005, 02:57:04 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 2,149 Times in 751 Posts
Default Re: New Old generators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Williams
Hope I can post this here! Does anyone have any experience with the Listeroid engines and ST generator heads. Thanks for any and all information.
Hi Johnny:

The Indian clone engines are what you are asking about?

While not as well-made as the Lister engines, they seem to be serving a purpose in those countries where the original Lister diesels were not sold in any numbers.

They have had some problems with quality control, but generally they seem to be doing a job as long as you don't expect too much of them. The use of taper roller main bearings is a bit strange...

Hopefully some of the other guys on the 'Stak will chip in with their experiences.

Living in the UK, we have a 10/2 twin Lister and a couple of singles, but they are pretty common over here so not as well regarded as they perhaps should be!

Peter
Old 11-13-2005, 09:31:29 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,732 Times in 1,560 Posts

Eventually, you just have to take the risk and buy one of these engines. I did, and am very happy with it. No quality problems to report. But, that doesn't mean you'll have the same result. There's a lot of factories making them, so I expect some variability...

On the ST heads, my experience is mixed. I had 2. One was OK, the other appears to have been improperly wired at the factory, and has bad regulation. The appearance of the castings was mediocre.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:44:05 AM
PhilD

Take a look at Utterpower . The site has lots of information on Lister and other chinese engines as well as the chinese ST generators.

Phil
Old 11-19-2005, 05:55:50 PM
Registered

Thanks for the onfo guys. The heads were what I was really asking about. Does anyone know of a distributor on the east coast (shipping costs from Washington state are prohibative)? Thanks again.