Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

See if you can help with a Jaeger 5hp engine

this thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 1606 times

Old 03-05-2009, 02:40:16 PM
Registered

Default See if you can help with a Jaeger 5hp engine

I'm hoping someone out there can help me. I have the Jaeger 5hp engine. I restored it over the winter. I've had it running a couple of times, but each time, it only runs for a minute or two and then shuts down. I don't know if I've got the fuel/air mixture wrong or something else. When it shuts down, I can never get it started again for quite a while. When I go to start it, I open the fuel needle 2 and 1/2 turns and leave the air cover shut. When it cranks, I usually turn the fuel down to between 1/2 and a full turn. When it runs, it runs rough and sporadically. It will get up speed and hit on every turn, then it will start to miss some. It never runs like it should, though. I must be doing something wrong. Anyone have any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2009, 02:47:43 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: See if you can help

Check the check valve in the fuel line!
Old 03-05-2009, 02:56:15 PM
Registered

Yep,that's fine. She's getting plenty of fuel. How open should the fuel needle be when I first start it? And then how open should it be once it starts? Also, what about the air damper? I've been told that it should be closed until it gets running good, then open it slightly. Is that correct? I'm still trying to figure all of this out. This is my first engine.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:11:09 PM
Registered

Watch the exhaust for smoke heavy black smoke means it is rich , but 3/4 to 1 turn out should be fine. Check the clearance on the exhaust valve it may warm up and begin to stay open all the time and not let it fire again?
Old 03-05-2009, 03:19:48 PM
Registered

There's no heavy black smoke. I'll check the exhaust valve clearance and see if that's it. If the timing is still off a bit, could that be it, or would it not run if the timing was off? I think the timing is OK, though.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:27:43 PM
Registered

Default Re: See if you can help with a Jaeger 5hp engine

Does it have a Wico EK or a Webster mag? It is possible that you have a bad cond if it is a Wico EK or the magnets are weak if it is a Webster. If it is a Webster, disconnect the mag wire and run the engine on a battery and coil to see if there is any change.
It could be a fuel problem however a check ball problem will show up sooner than 2-3 minuites.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:40:18 PM
Registered

I checked the clearance and it's good. I checked the timing again and it looks to be dead on. I tried firing it again and it just won't hit. It acts like it wants to, but it won't take off. I've tried opening the gas more and I've tried cranking the gas almost all the way off. Nothing works. My arm is wore out for today. I might try it again late this afternoon. I'm at a loss.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:42:21 PM
Registered

I checked the mag. It's good and hot. It's a Webster type 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Pflum View Post
Does it have a Wico EK or a Webster mag? It is possible that you have a bad cond if it is a Wico EK or the magnets are weak if it is a Webster. If it is a Webster, disconnect the mag wire and run the engine on a battery and coil to see if there is any change.
It could be a fuel problem however a check ball problem will show up sooner than 2-3 minuites.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:40:43 PM
Subscriber

I would eliminate the engine fuel source and make temp. connection to a known clean tank with NEW fuel and try.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:29:57 PM
Registered

Are you using a new spark plug
Old 03-05-2009, 06:08:12 PM
Registered

I think it was a combination of too much fuel and not the right air mixture. I got it running pretty good, but I've got a bad problem now. It tore all to pieces. I had just taken out all of the grease cups and cleaned them. Put new grease in and installed them and could see that the bearings were greased good. Cranked it and got running pretty good and after about a minute, she started coming apart. I couldn't get it stopped fast enough. The two bolts on the camshaft that connects the piston to the crank sheared off. The babbitt bearings are shot. It bent the piston rod and broke off a piece of the piston. Not a good day here. I've spent all of this money restoring this thing and now I'm back to square one. Not a happy camper.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:21:02 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,419 Times in 847 Posts

Are You Sure the Governor was Working... ????
Old 03-05-2009, 07:42:07 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by daydk1 View Post
There's no heavy black smoke. I'll check the exhaust valve clearance and see if that's it. If the timing is still off a bit, could that be it, or would it not run if the timing was off? I think the timing is OK, though.
Just curious, you said check exhaust valve clearance. What/how are you doing to set this? The clearance is wide enough to drive a truck through, so nobody says "clearance", they make sure the exhaust is opening at the right time. Generally speaking you should have a huge clearance gap, like a half inch. There is a specific reason for the wide gap...does it backfire like the exhaust valve is open?
Old 03-06-2009, 12:16:36 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 1,268 Times in 327 Posts

What a bad day. Sorry to hear of your troubles. Sounds like you need to find a replacement piston, rod, and bearings. Shouldn't be to hard to find. Place an ad on this site and see if anyone is parting out an engine. Don't give up on it just yet. Maybe find an experienced collector who can come and look over your engine next time before you fire it up. It never hurts to have someone double check your work. Get the parts and bring it all to the SIAM show in June and we'll help you get her running in no time.
Keith