Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

1906 Bing spirit engine vapouriser how?

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 4640 times

Old 11-18-2009, 09:30:53 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,106 Times in 177 Posts
Default 1906 Bing spirit engine vapouriser how?

I've had this lovely little Bing four stroke hot tube spirit engine in my possession for quite some time now and thought it's time to make some steps into it's restoration.
I need to know how the spirit vapouriser works? Is it similar to the Daimler/Benz type of vapourisers for Petrol(Gasoline), this is when the air intake draws air through the vapouriser bubbling it up through the petrol so forming a gas?
Is spirit basically Methylated Spirit?
I hope this interests someone into giving me an answer!!
Mike.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benz1890 For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2009, 10:47:24 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 7,767 Times in 2,942 Posts
Default Re: 1906 Bing spirit engine vapouriser how?

Mike:

I know next to nothing about what you ask but that doesn't deter me from commenting.

I guess "methylated spirit" is methyl alcohol. It would easily vaporize and probably have enough energy to run the engine.

In lieu of that, you could try something like naphtha.

Neat little engine! Keep us informed about your restoration progress.

Take care - Elden
http://www.oldengine.org/members/durand
Old 11-22-2009, 12:18:10 PM
Registered

Isn't naphtha closer to Kero?
Mike
Old 11-24-2009, 08:33:40 PM
Subscriber

The term “Naphtha” is usually restricted to a class of colorless, volatile, flammable liquid hydrocarbon mixtures. Obtained as one of the more volatile fractions in the fractional distillation of petroleum (when it is known as petroleum naphtha), in the fractional distillation of coal tar (coal-tar naphtha), and in a similar distillation of wood (wood naphtha). Coal-tar (aromatic) naphthas have greater solvent power than petroleum (aliphatic) naphthas. Originally the term Naphtha designated a colorless flammable liquid obtained from the ground in Persia. Later it came to be applied to a number of other natural liquid substances having similar properties. Technically, gasoline and paraffin (kerosene) are considered naphthas.

Naphtha is not to be confused with Naphthalene (also known as Naphthalin, Naphthaline, Tar Camphor, White Tar, Albocarbon, or Naphthene), which is a crystalline white solid hydrocarbon, and having a typical mothball odor. Naphthalene is also volatile, forming a flammable vapor. It is manufactured from coal tar (the liquid by-product of the distillation of coal to make coke. The gaseous by-product by this same process is commonly known as town gas).

Naphtha is a fuel fraction between light motor spirit and paraffin. Extensive research was conducted and the following physical data descriptions documented:

Gasoline Naptha Paraffin

Specific Gravity .68-.76 .74-.75 .80-.81
Flash Point -43 deg F. 52 deg F. 170 deg F.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dusty For This Post:
Old 11-25-2009, 05:23:15 AM
Registered

Am I right in saying that it doesn't vapourise easily at room temp or lower?
I guess spirit is Gasoline or lighter???
Mike
Old 01-26-2011, 06:09:26 PM
Registered

hello, i am Frank from germany and i am new here. I have found here your Bing spirit engine, i am very, very interestet to buy the engine for my collection. If you are interested please write to me. frank.kautznerQt-online.de
It doesn't matter if there are parts missing.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:07:17 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,174 Times in 546 Posts

I think that you are correct about the vapouriser also called an evapouration carburator. check this Utube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfzrTr_vYZw I think that I would use naptha rather than gasoline. When the gasoline vapourises it draws off the lighter distillates first which leaves you with a low volatable mixture. Ron

---------- Post added at 07:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 PM ----------

There are some similarities to my Schoenner engine with 6" flywheels. The Schoenner is a non compression engine that uses lighting gas. Ron
Old 01-26-2011, 08:13:54 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,174 Times in 546 Posts

Here is the picture of the Schoenner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SCHOENNER2.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	98862  
The Following User Says Thank You to Ronald E. McClellan For This Post:
Old 01-26-2011, 09:22:58 PM
Registered

Two controls are needed on the vaporizer. The air that has bubbled through the fuel is too rich and needs a separate controlled air bleed as well as another control on how much of the blend goes into the piston chamber. A nice story on the vaporizer for the full size engine was just on the Stack.

Check the Stack for the 8 connected threads of "1883 Daimler Experimental Engine Project" and the excellent machining by Wayne Grenning.
Bill O.

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 PM ----------

It appears to me that your vaporizer is missing and it will be a project to replace it. Perhaps the float portion of the vaporizer that is used on the Daimler engines may not be needed, just a bubbler and a gasoline system can be made, but be careful and use a safe way to avoid a backfire to your vaporizer and note the hot tube flame is beside the fuel system.