Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Garden Tractors and Mowers
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Garden Tractors and Mowers Vintage lawn and garden tractors, mowers, snow blowers, snowmobiles and other old machinery that is driven by small air cooled engines.

Garden Tractors and Mowers

Mid 70's John Deere 110 trouble!

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 4523 times

Old 02-06-2010, 01:40:38 AM
Registered

Default Mid 70's John Deere 110 trouble!

I've got this JD 110 that i just got running and it was running rough and wanted to die as soon as I turned the choke off. Carb adjustments didn't do any good. While the tractor was running and I was frustrated I decided to let the tractor run while I removed the battery as to recharge it over night. The second I unhooked the possitive terminal the engine smoothed right out so I quickly hooked the possitive back up, just to see and it instantly run real rough again then I unhooked it and is instantly ran amazing!
What in the world could the battery have to do with my tractor acting like this?
Thanks all,

John.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2010, 02:46:31 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,241 Times in 1,650 Posts
Default Re: Mid 70's John Deere 110 trouble!

What is the engine in it?

I Can Probably Fix That
Old 02-06-2010, 03:06:02 AM
Registered

I think your coil has been hooked up backwards ???
Old 02-06-2010, 05:50:34 AM
Subscriber

I'd say coil or condenser problem. Make sure + is closest to battery/ electrical components, and - is what leads to the points cover. And if that don't fix it, if i remember right JD's use a rectifier as opposed to a regulator, that could be causing a prblm, but I'd check coil and especially condenser. Also make sure the coil and condenser are GROUNDED!
John
Old 02-06-2010, 10:20:40 AM
Registered

Is John Deere different than other tractors? Every tractor I've ever known has had the points wire and condenser wire hooked up to the (-) on the coil.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:54:34 PM
Registered

A JD 110 should be a negative ground, so yes,as Johnny T said,the - on the coil should go to the points. If your 110 is like one of the one's I have both battery cables are hooked up real close to the same spot. If you don't look real close it is easy to get them mixed up and hook them up backwards. You should be able to unhook the rectifier to see how it runs then, but the battery would still need to be hooked up. Mark:
Old 02-06-2010, 11:28:48 PM

Thanked 6,767 Times in 4,301 Posts
Exclamation Re: Mid 70's John Deere 110 trouble!

Points are connected to - (Neg.) side of the coil. Check the state of charge and condition of the battery. If the battery has damaged plates or voltage is extremely low then voltage supply for ignition will be too low. Check all grounds, especially engine and battery to deck as poor grounds will cause feedback thru the ignition system. Do not run engine on the alternator for long, as tie loading factors will damage the regulation system. make sure the battery is hooked up properly, + to + and - to -. reversed polarity, even for a second will fry the diodes and regulator. If you jump start the battery, again check for proper polarity. Remember, if it is below 32 degrees F and the battery is in a discharged state, the low specific gravity will allow the electrolyte to freeze. This will destroy and short the plates internally, and the battery will not charge properly, if the electrolyte is frozen. Trying to charge a frozen cell may result in an explosion!
Andrew
Old 02-07-2010, 11:36:01 AM
Registered

Smile Re: Mid 70's John Deere 110 trouble!

Thank you all for your input! Yesterday I cleaned all connections and when I say all I mean ALL including all points of ground contacts! When I was done it fired right up and ran beautiful! Thank you all so much!

John.