Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs Discussion about magnetos, buzz coils, spark plugs, ignitors and low tension coils.

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs

Charging a Magnet Rotor

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 3614 times

Old 02-08-2010, 09:16:15 PM
Registered

Default Charging a Magnet Rotor

Guys I just joined. You all sound like you guys know magnetos and how to recharge the magnets. I'm not working on an old magneto.
I've got a china bicycle engine that I've been working on. The rotor is the magnet on this ignition system its about the size of a half dollar. It's made of laminated plates held together with rivets. I want to know can these be recharged? I have a few of these engines and some of the engines will run a small light off of the ignition coil some won't. I've rewound the coils that won't and have them working pretty good. If I change to a different rotor with the same coil they stop working won't idle and run pretty sorry.
I found that the coils that didn't work were wound with less wire or wound with a smaller dia wire. Once I changed the coils to the wire size and dia that I know works they work good with the rotor that will pull 6 lbs on a fish scales.
I tested the power of the rotors on a fish scales the rotor that will work good will pull 6 lbs on the scales. The rotor that does not work good will pull 4to 5 lbs. Not real rocket science but I wanted some way to compare them.
Seeing how these magnet rotors are small I'm not sure how they would fit on a magnet charger or if a magnet charger will work on them? If you guys think a magnet charger will work I sure like to build a magnet charger and give it a try.
ant thought or reply's would be great.
thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2010, 09:58:33 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,844 Times in 1,726 Posts
Default Re: charging a magnet rotor

Any magnet can be charged on the chargers that most of us have, provided you have the right fixtures to adapt the magnet to the charger and the magnet is not made of super hard material. The harder the material, the harder it is to charge. I'm pretty sure that alnico magnets are too hard to be charged on a normal magnet charger. I do know that the real hard magnets need to be charged on some kind of capacitive discharge type of magnetizer.
Since those engines are made in China, the magnets may be of questionable quality and may readily take a charge. They could also be made of high quality materials, but not charged properly to begin with.
I think I would find someone local with a charger and try to charge one and see how it turns out. If you plan on using a magnet charger a lot, it would be worth the time and expense to build one, otherwise you'd be better off trying to find someone that already has one.

Check out my engine videos at https://m.youtube.com/user/Cletrac
SmokStak member #146
The Following User Says Thank You to Junkologist For This Post:
Old 02-08-2010, 11:14:52 PM
Registered

thanks you for your reply Junkologist. My next questions is someone live in the Panhandle of Texas that has a magnet charger and could help me see if this magnet will charge?
Or a place for plans I'm not afraid of making one winding the coils of a magnet charger should not be as hard as winding one of the magneto coils I've been winding using 26 gauge wire and 36 gauge wire. Plus if it will work then I do have a need for one.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:02:46 PM
Registered

I have a couple magnet chargers but about 150 miles SW of you almost in NM. Look in your phone book there and try Radcliff Electric there in Pampa or ISC, Ignition System Controls in Pampa also. Grand Battery in Amarillo would have one too. I charge alnico magnets all the time on a regular magnet charger with large coils like H.G. Makelim or Bosch charger and I know they do some good recharging them. It's the chargers with the dinky little coils that aren't going to do anything to recharge alnico or rare earth magnets could actually do more harm than good because they can't get near to saturating the magnet just not enough flux flow. You should never put stuff on the magnet like scales or screwdriver pulling on it each time you do that it takes some magnetism out of it. I use a special magnetometer that never touches the magnet to measure the strength before and after recharging. If you have something like rare earth or harder magnets those may need to be charged on a capacitive discharge type charger. Plans for one of the best made chargers by John Rex that will do most magnets was in Gas Engine Magazine years ago. Check out Harry's sticky on FAQ at top of this section I think it gives links to building that charger. The magnetometers I have were made by Magnetic Instruments in Indiana.

http://www.maginst.com/Annis%20Pocke...etometers.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dempster For This Post:
Old 02-09-2010, 04:55:55 PM
Registered

Default Re: Charging a Magnet Rotor

here's a couple of photos of the magnet rotor so you can see its not very large. I can cut it with a hack saw the metal does not appear to be very hard.
Thanks Dempster I'll see if the people you wrote about on here are still in business. Think a home made recharger would work on these?

Old 02-09-2010, 05:22:44 PM
Registered

That one has to have the magnet or magnets sandwiched between the laminations. Shouldn't be a problem for anyone to charge a two pole one like that just need curved charging blocks to do it and most all mag shops will have those for their charger. The two shops I mentioned in your town do mostly oil field magnetos & other repairs. You need to make a metal keeper to go across the poles or banding to wrap around it for after charging till it is installed. It won't take someone long to recharge it and should cost much if anything. Hardly worth building a charger for when surely someone local can do it.

http://www.oldengine.org/members/die.../MagData14.htm
Old 02-09-2010, 07:41:22 PM
Registered

I went and checked out the 2 business they both are out of business.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:52:02 AM
Registered

I can understand why they are out of business but don't like hearing that. Sent you a PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:58:48 AM
Registered

I might fly down your way I've got an airplane that I built years ago it will do 160mph vw powered.
you can see me doing a 200mph+ flyby here I hope that link works?
Old 02-10-2010, 01:04:09 AM
Registered

for some reason my link didn't work?

Craig here: That link is an email address.....I removed it.......
Old 02-10-2010, 01:33:53 AM
Registered

Okay sent you another PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:47:48 AM
Registered

thanks Craig
If you want to see my airplane you can click on my name select my home page it should work. If I could of edited my post I'd removed it myself.
You guys will be able to see a 200 mph+ flyby with a vw powered airplane. Plus some of toys I like to play with.