Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

Magnet Charging

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 1925 times

Old 02-23-2003, 03:04:08 PM
Larry Kastens

Default Magnet Charging

What procedures need to be followed to recharge the magnets on a magneto for an International LB? Thanks, Harry, for this site.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2003, 05:12:37 PM
Mark T

Default Re: Magnet Charging

Larry,

The mag repair people at the shows will recharge the magnet(s) for you. They will normally do it while you wait and it is very inexpensive.

If you don't want to wait until the next show, look up one of the mag repair reople here on Harry's site and send it to them.

I know there are several companies who make rechargers, the problem is you would have to do quite a few of them to pay for it.

Maybe some other people here on this site can tell you how to make one.

I just thought that if you were only doing a few, it would be better to pay a professional a few bucks.

Word of note: When you take a magnet off, make sure you know which way it goes. Mark one side so you don't get the + and - backwards when you put your newly charged magnet back on.

Hope this helps, I don't know nuthin' 'bout berthin' babies and I know even less about mags. So you are kind of getting the pedestrian approach to a simple question.

-Mark Thompson
Old 02-24-2003, 10:49:59 PM
Al Hettich

Default Re: Magnet Charging

From my limited retention of knowledge on this matter, it is way better to have the magnet charged while on the mag. If you remove it even for a minute you will loose much of the magnetism. If the poles are not shorted togather, it will soon become a clevis without holes in it. If you charge it backwards you will have a clevis, and may not ever be as good as it could be if done correctly. Since you only have one chance of getting the polarity right you may be better served having a magnet guru do it. Check the site sponsors page. Al