Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

P.K. Lindsay Portable Air Compressor

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 6422 times

Old 01-05-2011, 10:05:54 PM
Registered

Default P.K. Lindsay Portable Air Compressor

My father in law just pulled this thing out of a storage unit today and I'm not really sure what exactly it is. All I know is it's rather old and name plate says P. K. Lindsay Portable Air Compressor. Later this week where gonna get it running. Does anyone have information on user manual. I put up a few photos. I searched on the internet for more information on how to get it running or parts etc... nothing... anyone?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0556.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	97258   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0561.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	97259   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0569.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	97260   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0562.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	97261  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RBWK For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2011, 11:08:15 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,844 Times in 1,726 Posts
Default Re: P.K. Lindsay Portable Air Compressor

This video of my Lindsay should give you an idea of how it works. The only differences between yours are mine is the engine models and the way the air is piped to the tanks. Mine is a Briggs model Q and yours is a Briggs model R. Yours was probably built in the early '30s. Looks like a nice one! I'd like to find one like it someday myself.

Check out my engine videos at https://m.youtube.com/user/Cletrac
SmokStak member #146
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Junkologist For This Post:
Old 01-06-2011, 09:45:16 AM
Registered

Default Re: P.K. Lindsay Portable Air Compressor

Nice Find!

I and other collectors have looked for literature on these units, and as far as well noting still exists. I have written to the company who purchased the assets of the original PK Lindsey Company, with pictures of my compressors but have never heard back. The best advice I can give you about starting these units up is to un screw the safety valve so the unit holds no air until you can verify it works and the tanks are safe told pressure. There is also knob on the air compressor power head that will disable it for easy engine starting. The engine should be easy to get running, make sure you have spark and compression and both the carb and gas tank are clean. Also if it hasn't been run a while I would change the oil. I usually run SAE 20wt oil in these old Briggs, it is available from Tractor Supply Company.

~ Jonathan
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jonathan Widelo For This Post: