Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Maytag Engines and Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Maytag Engines and Collectibles Maytag engines, washing machines, mowers and other engine driven tools for the farm.

Maytag Engines and Collectibles

US Mail

this thread has 18 replies and has been viewed 2657 times

Old 08-18-2011, 03:44:31 PM
Registered

Default US Mail

Gents,

Slightly off topic but I filed a claim on 5/12/11 with the US Mail after they managed to break a Maytag 72. How long does it normally take to have the complaint resolved.

Regards
Mick
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2011, 04:13:13 PM
Registered

Default Re: US Mail

ha good luck to you. i have never seen insurance money paid on any damaged item. good luck. ur better off just fixing it and goin on!!!!!!!! doesnt matter, ups, fedex, usps. they are all a joke.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:23:16 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,142 Times in 762 Posts

good luck. ive not had any damaged parts (yet) but im waiting on a package that has been sent back to the guy it was shipped from 2 times. hopefully 3rd time it gets here. post office is the one who should be delivering it.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:27:44 PM
Registered

The first thing ups asked me was who packed it. Then they blew me off (over two years ago.) I'm pretty sure USPS will do the same to you.

As stated by youngMaytagstud, you may be better off fixing it yourself if it wasn't professionally packed by USPS. I started shipping through the post office after my ups incident and had good luck mostly so far but none of them are close to perfect yet (anymore.)

Hopefully your damage wasn't too bad and will be cheap to fix.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:01:12 PM
Registered

Just move on. Buy what part is broke and be happy you even got it in the mail. I try not to buy anything if i cant pick it up. Good luck on it.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:29:27 PM
Subscriber

Had a pump jack for a Fairbanks eclipse sent to me ups a few years back and of course they broke the gear. The local guy said they dont insure antiques so they wouldn't pay the claim. I told him it said what it was on the insurance application but was getting no where with him. So I asked him for his district managers name,when I got her on the phone I asked who her immediate superviser was and got his name and contact number and proceeded to call him. Explained what my beef was and he said it should have been taken care of and within two business days had my check. Never ever take no for an answer without rattling the cages of the big wheels. They dont like to be bothered, and usually will takle care of you just to get you off their butt. Spent a lot of years in the corporate world and it always worked for me.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:41:20 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngmaytagstud View Post
ha good luck to you. i have never seen insurance money paid on any damaged item. good luck. ur better off just fixing it and goin on!!!!!!!! doesnt matter, ups, fedex, usps. they are all a joke.
He's right its all BS that insurance stuff, any shipper will NEVER pay. They blame on you or the other guy. What i had to do, the seller, was clean and paint anther part that broke and the buyer paid for shipping.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:49:45 AM
Registered

yes i have tried talking to the big wigs, also got no return back. and no money. when i sell an engine i tell them that if a part breaks send me pics and ill repaint a part and send it to them. its the only way. otherwise i try to stay away with shiping all together one old engine parts!! or engines!!
Old 08-19-2011, 02:10:50 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,172 Times in 2,055 Posts

I've filed claims with Fedex maybe a dozen times in 20 years, they always paid. The shipper must file the claim, Fedex will pick the item up, inspect it and the packaging, and return it to the shipper. They've whined about the packing a few times, yet still ended up paying me. They also want to see proof of payment just to make sure your not trying to collect $100 on a $5 part. Once they have all the documentation its usually about 30 days before I receive payment.

As the receiver of a damaged shipment there is nothing you can do, only the seller can file a claim or be reimbursed.

If your shipping something really expensive and you want the best care, insure it for the maximum insurable amount (if I recall $10,000), they will insist on opening the package to inspect packing, then every person who handles it has to sign off on it.
The Following User Says Thank You to dalmatiangirl61 For This Post:
Old 08-19-2011, 07:44:32 PM
Subscriber

Post Re: US Mail

I know that I have received a few broken parts over the years....but I had bought an engine at an auction....the auctioneer said he does not pack items but he would take it right to UPS and i would have to pay the packing and shipping fee....you would not belive how much packing they used to protect the item.....i was happy that it arrived in good order....so this could be an option for sellers...and the shipper is the buyer...as you pay the UPS store....just my two cents....

David
Old 08-19-2011, 08:18:26 PM
Registered

David hit the nail on the head . You need to pack it right when you ship it .I make a wooden box bolt the engine down use good styrofoam insulation not newspaper or packing peanuts .Then they can throw it out of the truck as many times they want . A ups driver told me a package must withstand a 6 feet drop so remember that next time you ship.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:07:19 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaytagRepairMan View Post
I know that I have received a few broken parts over the years....but I had bought an engine at an auction....the auctioneer said he does not pack items but he would take it right to UPS and i would have to pay the packing and shipping fee....you would not belive how much packing they used to protect the item.....i was happy that it arrived in good order....so this could be an option for sellers...and the shipper is the buyer...as you pay the UPS store....just my two cents....

David
I HAD UPS pack my Maytag with INSURANCE an they still broke it! AND NEVER PAID!
Old 08-19-2011, 10:51:17 PM
speleausmining

It seems to me that they have no legal recourse in reality. They cannot blame the packing (they packed it) and they sold you insurance on it so they cannot argue that it was unisurable. What they are probably trying is to just make you give up so they dont have to pay. If it was me I would first try working my way up the food chain untill I got someone who gave me what I wanted. Failing that, and depending on how angry I was at that point, I would get my lawyer to contact them. Now given the hourly cost for the lawyer and that it was a Maytag it would cost you more then it was worth. With me though once they get my back up its more the priciple of the thing. ! Often I have found even dropping the word Lawyer has a pretty dramatic effect.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Post:
Old 08-20-2011, 06:19:58 AM
Registered

Gents,
Thanks for the advice time to start chasing them. As an aside I have just had an airmail letter, addressed to Tallahassee FL, returned to me apparently the mail man don't understand the word FROM and sent it back.
Regards
Mick
Old 08-20-2011, 08:27:38 AM
Registered

yea pretty sore subject I have received a couple of maytags with damaged flywheels I bought a flywheel to replace the one the shipper damaged an guess what it was damaged !
Old 08-20-2011, 11:42:55 AM
Subscriber

Smile Re: US Mail

a few fears ago i bought a maytag 2 cylinder long frame on e bay, the seller said there was nothing broken and the crank shaft and flywheel ran true.the mail lady delivered it , i opened it ( it was poorly packed ) i turned the flywheel and it wobbled 1/8 inch. i took it to the post office ( it was insured when purchased ) , they looked at it and i asked them to make out a claim for 75.00 because all i wanted was a new crankshaft , the rest of the engine was fine. the claim was turned in and about 3 weeks later i got a rejection letter saying they would pay only what the original insurance was for.so i went back to the post office and turned in a claim for 295.00 three weeks later i got a check for 295.00 and i got to keep the engine , who can figure ?
this was the cheapest engine i ever bought!
clement
Old 08-20-2011, 12:28:40 PM
Registered

I could do that all day long.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:06:50 PM
Registered

Now you know why the Postal Service is going under!
Old 08-21-2011, 12:42:30 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,172 Times in 2,055 Posts

I sold a trombone for a friend on ebay ($1200, far more than he or I expected), shipped Fedex and was damaged, after they returned it and paid on the insurance claim I sold it again for $700