Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

The Mogul Runs! Hit & Miss,Miss,Miss, Miss,Miss

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 5656 times

Old 06-22-2003, 07:56:13 PM
Dan Bogart

Default The Mogul Runs! Hit & Miss,Miss,Miss, Miss,Miss

I know its not supposed to but it does. In looking at the igniter the points stay open till the trip closes them till it snaps open.On the bench if I trip it as fast as I can it has a weak spark, If I hold the points closed and open slowly it has a great spark. Is the igniter wrong for a battery and coil? Bad coil? or ??? By the way, it shocked me!How can this happen?

Dan
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2003, 10:21:57 PM
Al Hettich

Default Re: The Mogul Runs! Hit & Miss,Miss,Miss, Miss,Mis

Dan. The ignitor is perfect for a battery and coil. If you are using an automotive coil, do not use the secondary for the spark. Just run your wire from the battery through the primary windings on its way to the ignitor. They also run best on 12 volts. But watch that secondary on the coil, it can bite real good. Al
Old 06-22-2003, 11:07:49 PM
Dan Bogart

Al, I am useing a transformer out of a microwave oven. A friend said it would work ok. This engine did come with a mag.
Old 06-22-2003, 11:43:20 PM
Ken Majeski

Hi Dan: Well some transformers make good low tension coils and some don't. The reason you got a shock is that when the igniter points open the magnetic field in the coil collapses and causes a inductive kick as large as several hundred volts. Before I jumped to Hasty Unscientific Conclusions I would try a known good working coil. Timing too early and a weak exhaust valve spring can also cause a TG engine to hit and miss. Also the ingiter springs must be in good shape and the points must snap open quickly. I recently picked up a 1 hp Moogoil myself, It runs fairly decent but still needs a little TLC......
Old 06-23-2003, 12:33:15 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,927 Times in 1,741 Posts

Dan: If it were me, I would check the time the the points are closed before they trip. If the closed time is to short, you don't get enough current flow to give a good spark. I also would invest the $30-40 for a quality induction coil for that quality engine you have. Sure other coils may work, but not always very good. It's a hit and miss approach . If it has a magneto, why not use it I know, it probably doesn't work or was off the engine when you got it because it didn't work .Paul
Old 06-23-2003, 12:29:58 PM
Rob Charles

Once you get the ign straightened out and it still 8 cycles check the tension of the exh. valve spring.If it's too weak a throttle gov. engine won't run right.Rob
Old 06-23-2003, 10:43:05 PM
Al Hettich

Dan I do not know what your microwave transformer is, it may be fine but it might intimidate that old Mogul. If you take apart an automotive coil, or look at a real low tension coil you will find wire as fine as hair. there is a bushel basket of wire in there also. When the power is right it will draw a glowing blue spark about 1/32 long. That is about right to fire in an oily compressed atmosphere. Al
Old 06-24-2003, 12:10:08 AM
Dan Bogart

I think you guys may be right about the transformer. I took the igniter apart this afternoon to see if rusty and it realy wasnt too bad. During this time I had 4 phone calls from telemarketers and 2 from friends. After I got it cleaned up I find it has 3 different holes for the inner spring and I dont know which it was using. I hope my CRS doesnt kick in before tommorow nite.