Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion > Unidentified Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Unidentified Engines Post your photos and questions about your unknown engine and look for answers here.

Unidentified Engines

Unidentified farm equipment?

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 2651 times

Old 05-10-2012, 04:01:00 PM
Registered

Default Unidentified farm equipment?

Hey guys, I got refered here from another site for some possible answers. I really know nothing about machinery. So on my land I got this old piece of equipment, its enormous. Would love to know what it is and the history behind it. Anyone recognize what it might have been?

Its in michigan, about a half mile from a lake which used to be a medium sized river (some guesses have been towards logging). Lots of logging and farming has been done in the area. I was told by a neighbor that the piece of land I own was once part of an old fox farm. There is a collapsed building on it which I guess was where most of the fox work took place? There may be some old goods I can scrounge together out of there eventually.

I dont believe any farming has really taken place on this land after 1950's based off of tree growth. Although the farmer could have just dumped it at some point.

Some people suggest I scrap it, but I think that would be too much work and I kind of like the history, frozen in time.

Most people say I need more pictures.

Some guessed:
"Before the 1930's tractor wheels were cast iron. Early tractors from the late 1890's and early 1900's were huge, bulky, impractical machines and are very rare today due to them being so ineffective for like 100 yrs. They were steam driven from burning firewood in a woodburner. I would say you have the axle and wheel assembly from one of these early machines but I would have to see it to be sure. Due to its rarety it may be worth something to a steam collector?????"

- steam tractor
- steam roller
- logging equipment
- something for gas/nautural gas

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pikemaster789 For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2012, 04:36:33 PM
Registered

Default Re: Unidentified farm equipment?

Definitely more pictures would help, and some measurements as well, or a person in the image to provide a better sense of scale. I'm confident it's not from any sort of tractor. Looking at this image, it appears to be a large belt-pulley (RH side) afixed to a shaft with one or two hubs and a bearing far left. Purely as a pull it out of my @$$ guess, if pressed, I would say a water-wheel shaft to provide power to a mill or similar.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:26:33 PM
Registered

I do believe the wheels are taller than me 5'8" by a significant amount. The far side looks like the metal wore out and they put wood pieces together to "jerry rig" it unless it was part of the design. Im headed out this weekend and Ill look into it a bit more for info.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:33:19 PM
Registered

Maybe from a well drilling rig?

Bob
WB8NQW
Old 05-10-2012, 06:56:18 PM
Registered

It looks like the bull wheel from standard derrick oil well drilling rig.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jerry Sweet For This Post:
Old 05-10-2012, 08:02:13 PM
Registered

did a little more research on the oil aspect, and found a website for old oil machinery. Some of it looked similar but was unable to pinpoint it.

My research took me deeper into the state's information. Michigan maps some of the oil/natural gas etc wells that currently exist of at one time did

Turns out my land was drilled for oil at some point and the well was plugged. Thats all I could come up with for now.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pikemaster789 For This Post:
Old 05-10-2012, 08:23:38 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,975 Times in 2,456 Posts

looks like a winch of some sort?.John
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to casertractor For This Post: