Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm Antiques and Collectibles > Horse Drawn Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Horse Drawn Equipment Old iron designed for the purpose of hitching up to a horse or a team. This old iron machinery may be used or demonstrated while hooked to an old iron tractor too.

Horse Drawn Equipment

Have old John Deere plow, where are all you old plow experts?

this thread has 14 replies and has been viewed 17621 times

Old 04-20-2011, 08:26:40 AM
Registered

Photo Have old John Deere plow, where are all you old plow experts?

Hello,
I am a new member to smokstak and would like some advice from you old plow experts. I now have an old john deere plow that was my grandfathers and now belongs to my dad. It is now in my small garage that is taking up way too much space. My dad wanted me to put it on ebay a couple of years ago and the highest bid I could get was $175 and I would not let it go for that. Good move or not? I just used it to plow out a small garden for my wife but now I will not need it again. So, my thoughts were to try and sell it again or if it is not worth that much, it will get a good heavy coat of paint and will become a mailbox holder or a nice yard piece with pretty flowers all around it.
The number is (No.20 1878) I will ad some pics so you old guys can tell me what I have, Please. Thanks for your time.Click image for larger version

Name:	john deere plow 003.jpg
Views:	616
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	105036

Click image for larger version

Name:	john deere plow 005.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	105037

Name:	john deere plow 011.jpg
Views:	815
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	105038

Name:	john deere plow 012.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	105039
The Following User Says Thank You to lowflyer For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2011, 11:40:10 AM
Registered

Default Re: Have old John Deere plow, where are all you old plow experts?

Lowflyer,that is an important part of you family heritage,if you sell it further down the track of life you will begin to think about where it is and is it being looked after.Why not arrange some good strong mounting points and mount it on your shed wall,(if it was mine I would sand blast it,paint it and mount it in my beer drinking room ---where she who should be obeyed has no say)!Norm
Old 04-20-2011, 12:30:15 PM
Registered

Thanks Norm for your thoughts. I have thought of that and am leaning towards just giving dad the amount that was offered on ebay. The problem is where to put it. Don't drink beer, so that that idea wouldn't work. just not enough space in the garage, the only other option would be to clean it up and paint it real good an place it outside for show with really pretty flowers around it.
Hay Norm, have a good day!!! Back outside to finish building bunny cages.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:38:50 PM
Subscriber

lowflyer,
Well it's a very nice piece of family history so I would recommend getting a couple of pulleys and some rope to hoist it up over the workbench so you can look at it/take it to some shows ect. or pass it on to someone else to care for. I would hate to see it used as an outdoor ornament because; A, it's such a nice Original; B, after 5 years no matter how much paint you put on it those 100 year old handles that your grandfather held will be rotting off and it will certainly be worth less. Does that help?, Nathan.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:45:43 AM
Registered

Thanks Nathan for your thoughts as well, so what you are saying is that this plow is a keeper. Ok, so where to put it? I would say that making it a creative TV stand in the living room would be out. Decisions, decisions!
Old 04-21-2011, 02:01:36 PM
Registered

You could send it to us.
We have two horses that would be glad to try it out for ya.

We already have one just like it, paid 25 bucks for it. I like our oliver 99 a whole lot better. It gets used for the gardens every year.
Bryan
Old 04-21-2011, 10:11:03 PM
Registered

Ok,let me think about that for a spit second. Seconds over, no thanks. Just let your horses take turns with the plow you have. Have a nice day Bryan
Old 04-21-2011, 10:42:42 PM

Thanked 20,659 Times in 5,981 Posts

IF you REALLY don't want it.......sell it.
Memories last forever.
In October, when my Dad died and my sister was home, I told my Mother there is nothing in the house I want, except for a small kerosene finger lamp (which belonged to a grandmother) which is now in my house, because everything about them I want or need is in my head and I don't have children to pass on "stuff" to anyway.
If the plow is yours to do with as you please.......do with it as you please.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:13:35 AM
Registered

Thanks Graig for your thoughts.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:27:25 PM
Registered

My mom and dad got married in 40. My grandad didnt like my mom, so much so, that dad and mom stayed away from him, and only visited grandma when they knew grandad was in the fields doing something. One day they came down to visit grandma, and she told dad that grandads (dangit, I cant remember what it was) was acting up again, and he needed to go out and help grandad. Well he did, and that evening he helped grandad milk. Grandpa said, Why cant we farm like we used to. They had been farming 440 acres with horses. Dad said, we can, if you treat Bert like shes human, and buy a tractor. Grandpa didnt know ANYTHING about tractors, but he found a 34 CC Case. I imagine that since Case had been around forever, and it was likely way cheaper than a like year IHC or JD, and that he wouldnt be running it anyway, (He never did that I know about, but ya never know, Surely, at some time, he moved it). Anyway, he bought it, 3 bottom, plow case, and mounted cultivators. Dad hated it. Griped about the chickens roosting on the steering wheel post, ect. He finally, when he could get the banker to give him the money got a WC AC. I think that he thought that, since grandad didnt run the Case, that he would sell it, and pay off dads AC. Didnt happen. Dad didnt like the AC either a whole lot, and he never had another. Course, my older brother getting killed setting on the fender and bouncing off likely had something to do with never haveing a tractor with a fender as long as I was home. He went to JDs and IHCs. ANYWAY, The CC stayed around. Got used on the grain elevator when we found a pto shaft for it, and took off the gas engine, pulling wagons of corn into the cron crib wile the 48 H had the picker on it ect. Well, in 82 or so. I went up home to visit, and mom said that dad was going to get rid of all the junk, and the CC was going with it. I said like hel and brought it home. Now, I dont know that grandpa ever drive it, But I like to believe he did. I know my dad did, and now that there both gone, Its the only thing I have that I can touch where they touched it. I can look down the hood same as they did while im plowing, discing, planting, cultivateing, same as they did. To me, that means alot. Likely, whichever one of my kids gets it, wont have the room for it, same as you with your plow. AND its a shame nobody has yet dated your plow.. And they will sell it also. I hope not, but I know that sooner or later, thats what will happen.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:56:47 PM
trowel

lowflyer,
if i had seen this post earlier i would of responded,
that's not a john deere plow, it is a Syracuse Chilled Plow Works no. 20 from 1878 as the casting date states, it was made untill 1900's, john deere did not buy Syracuse untill 1916,
it was painted red with plain wood handles, if i was you i would hold on to it or sell it to someone who is willing to restore it,
i have a 1890 two-way sulky plow made by Syracuse Chilled Plow Works with lator replacement john deere/syracuse plows and beams,
trowel
Old 12-31-2012, 06:03:37 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyer View Post
Hello,
I am a new member to smokstak and would like some advice from you old plow experts. I now have an old john deere plow that was my grandfathers and now belongs to my dad. It is now in my small garage that is taking up way too much space. My dad wanted me to put it on ebay a couple of years ago and the highest bid I could get was $175 and I would not let it go for that. Good move or not? I just used it to plow out a small garden for my wife but now I will not need it again. So, my thoughts were to try and sell it again or if it is not worth that much, it will get a good heavy coat of paint and will become a mailbox holder or a nice yard piece with pretty flowers all around it.
The number is (No.20 1878) I will ad some pics so you old guys can tell me what I have, Please. Thanks for your time.Attachment 105036

Attachment 105037

Attachment 105038

Attachment 105039
Hello, I am interested in your plow if you sell it, it appears to be the syracuse chilled brand, bought by deere, but maybe not made by John Deere or his son, let me know if you are interested in selling and the price, thanks 707 996-6502
Old 03-25-2013, 10:24:12 PM
Registered

Hi do you still have the plow .Can you call me eather way n let me know about it . Thanks Mark 763-439-1114
Old 09-21-2014, 11:32:32 AM
Registered

Hi,

Are you still selling the plow? I would like to buy it.
Old 04-12-2015, 12:57:30 AM
Registered

It's been a long time since I've seen one of those. It appears to be a prairie land bottom--much more turning pitch than a stubble bottom. The name on it is Syracuse, which I believe was a line that was sold by Deere dealers and later absorbed into Deere. (Just as the Dane became a JD mower, VanBrunt became a JD cultivator, Papec became a JD silage chopper, etc.) It is a chilled cast iron moldboard, which didn't scour nearly as well as plow steel and was somewhat brittle. So what you have is a prairie turning bottom made of chilled cast which didn't work that well in virgin prairie soil for which it was made. The failure of chilled iron provided the impetus for the blacksmith, John Deere, to forge a steel plow bottom. Still, chilled wasn't all that bad, and excelled in some conditions. It appears to be in beautiful shape, almost too good to be a mundane mailbox post. I wish I still had the Syracuse that was stolen from us many years ago.

That's about all I can tell you.

Jack