Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

NHE conversion to gasoline?

this thread has 80 replies and has been viewed 2734 times

Old 10-04-2015, 10:21:39 PM
Registered

Default Re: NHE conversion to gasoline?

What type of fitting is on the fuel line? Is it flared tubing or does it have a bite type ferrule? If flared it can be sae 45 deg (usually seen on lp,ng setups) or jic 37 degree (most common in hydraulics). they look very similar but if the angles don't match you have to tighten enough to reshape the flare..concerns of stripping the threads are very real especially if the male is brass and the tube is stainless.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2015, 10:29:47 PM
Registered

It isn't a ferrel type. But the angle could be wrong. It isn't stainless line. Much more plyable. May have to get a little more aggressive with it. Not sure if the fitting is brass. May have to change it out if it doesn't come around.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:40:12 PM
Registered

As long as you are using a standard length wrench you should feel when the initial flare face up occurs. You may try tightening up one flat of the nut past face up and see what happens. The fittings can usually handle that. Can you still wiggle the line even with the nut tight?
Old 10-04-2015, 11:09:42 PM
Registered-II

Lots of people use marine style fuel tanks with disconnects. This allows you to safely change tanks while running. If you use this type of refuel system you can install a squeeze primer bulb in the hose. Very handy.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:57:49 AM
Registered

The line doesn't wiggle. IDK if it isn't in there quite straight or what. It goes finger tight nicely.

Funny you mention boat tanks. That would be very handy for sure. The only thing I'm not sure about is if they can be vented remotely. I don't want to vent inside the motorhome basement. I need to research boat tanks and plumbing. I know there is two lines with them. Not sure what the second line is for.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:27:16 AM
Registered-III

The usual arrangement with a dual-line boat tank is one to draw and another to return excess to the tank. I suppose that one might operate as a vent, but I don't think so. I do believe that most of the fitting adapters I've seen take the two barb fitting (like OMC) and just combine them into a single hose. When you go looking for tanks, you'll need to make sure they all have the same fittings, otherwise it might be counter productive.

Around my area the Johnson/Evinrude/OMC style tanks are quite available but the fittings left in the store are usually for something else. A lot of people are giving away the older metal tanks and replacing them with plastic tanks that can't rust.... Keep an eye on Craigslist, often in the free stuff. I tend to agree that swapping a marine gas tank is better than trying to fill a gas tank on a hot generator. And it is small enough (50#) that you can lift it to pour the old gas into your car's gas tank....
Old 10-05-2015, 08:59:46 AM
Registered

The fittings are a bit confusing. LOL.
I saw this dual line that looked handy: http://www.amazon.com/SeaSense-Dual-...+line+assembly

Ideally I would have two or even three tanks lined up for use. I just need to figure out how to remotely vent.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:22:01 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 6,175 Times in 4,487 Posts

For vent, car gas tanks have a pressure valve that doesn't vent until pressure reaches a certain point. Protects the environment , but more importantly it stops free flow of humid air into tank to absorb into the ethanol.

If you can tolerate the large foot print a 20 gal plastic gas tank from a car is nice. For a smaller footprint Station Wagons usually have a vertical tank, Junk yard. Just have to modify the gas pickup if tank has a pump (it's usually too high pressure for an Onan). Or you could add a pickup and keep the pump to transfer gas out to your car when it gets old.

Also see if your local motor oil distributor has any empty oil barrels, they take them back from car garages for re-use.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:25:28 PM
Registered

A drum would be too large for the motorhome anywhere. This is a drive down the road deal. And the basement is like bus baggage compartments. Best would be mounted outside the compartment, but there really isn't room. Next is permanent mounting inside the compartment, but fill necks are not easy to route safely. I don't want to fill directly into the compartment because of fumes and possible spills. Boat tanks are a great option, but most have a venting cap. I don't want it to vent into the baggage compartment. I would prefer a line that I could route outside the compartment.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:40:05 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 6,175 Times in 4,487 Posts

Ah .....I assumed it was for house use, may people use them that way.

I wouldn't put tank inside the RV, all fuels outside for safety.

I've seen long narrow-ish tanks for RV's and trucks. Others here know more about RVs.