Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

Induction Motor Production Line

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 840 times

Old 04-10-2018, 10:29:55 PM
Registered-III

Default Induction Motor Production Line

The way the windings are inserted into the stator looks a little brutal to me.
Considering a lot of the china stuff uses aluminum wire and the rather thin layers of varnish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02VMfMml4iU

Robert
The Following User Says Thank You to Railroads For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2018, 01:21:30 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,948 Times in 1,333 Posts
Default Re: Induction Motor Production Line

From what I've seen that seems to be a standard construction method, at least for the smaller sizes. Remember that the wire is protected from the steel by the slot liners. Interesting that the testing station has a shield that covers the unit under test.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vanman For This Post:
Old 04-11-2018, 08:48:20 PM
Registered-II

My first job was rewinding motors.
We did that all by hand with no machines.
It was hard on the back sitting at a bench all day making the wires nest and forming the coils.

This is deskilled work.
You don't even have to understand what you are doing.
Cheaper to buy new than repair now.

---------- Post added at 08:48:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32:14 PM ----------

This video in Hindi shows some skill.
I am really impressed with how well this was done and even if you do not speak the language it is informative.

An unusual single coil single slot winding design. ( might be for space saving )
2 pole 3000 rpm motor about 1/2 hp by eyeball.
Winding is called a lap and the reason all the coils are lifted and then put back in is to make it what's called span down.
Because of the size it would be harder ( but no impossible to do ) span up and uglier.

A smarter way would have been to use a concentric coil lay out.
These guys might not have the technical skill to convert the winding to concentric.

However it still shows skill and patients to do.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...AhWEUc7QCFfcUw
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Newoldstock For This Post:
Old 04-11-2018, 09:59:52 PM
Registered-II

There was one other expedient way to make a winding you never see anymore.
I think it was called a Skewn coil used by electricians in the early days to rewind the crude low density machines
You made one big coil for each coil group and laid it in the widest span, then put a twist in and laid it in the next inner set.
This made a sort of concentric coil group.

The old fellow that trained me used navy electric motor/generator manuals for field service, I think that's where I learned most of the practical part from ( that and hands on training and direction from the boss )

Best practical training still comes from the military field manuals of years past, there is not a lot of books on the subject printed today because machine wound motors and generators have taken over.
That's a warning to us all in regards to skills that require patients and trained hands.
Use it, teach it or lose it ( I probably lost it for all purposes other than watching and commenting )
The Following User Says Thank You to Newoldstock For This Post:
Old 04-12-2018, 01:32:31 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,948 Times in 1,333 Posts

I'll have to look into some of my antique machines and see how they might be wound...