Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

New Generator, Short Review

this thread has 16 replies and has been viewed 2110 times

Old 06-07-2018, 03:50:39 AM
Registered-I

Default New Generator, Short Review

bought a tool shed sg6500w generator the other day. its a Honda gx390 clone and seems to be one of the better put together clones. it passed the initial inspection for manufacturing defects, and fired right up with fresh gas and oil. the voltage was within spec at 127v no load and 125v loaded. only the HZ was a little off (63 no load 61.5 loaded) a minor governor adjustment and it was at a perfect 60.0 with a 5000w load (rated for 5500 continuous 6500 surge).

no issues during the first 4 hour runtime and oil change cycle

no issues during 12 hour run and another oil change.

currently working on the 20 hour run for the next oil change

fuel economy is slightly less than the Honda EM6500 which it is cloned after, at a little over 3 hours per gallon @ 50% load, but that may simply be break-in related as the Honda I'm comparing it with has 650 hours on it already.

Noise level is comparable with the Honda, and startup is just as easy.

The Honda runs a bit cooler, and produces a cleaner sinewave, but the sg6500 output is much cleaner than some of the other clones I've seen.

Time will tell if it will weather heavy use or not, and I will update this as I put more hours on it, but so far this seems like a reasonably well built machine for the price.

The engine does not seem to consume oil-yet- but as I mentioned it only has a few hours on it at this point.

It has electric start with recoil backup, and a 12v outlet for charging as well as a voltage frequency meter which is always nice.

I do know for a fact the EM6500 is a well built unit that will last a long time, and while the SG6500 clone is by no means built as solidly as the Honda, so far it seems Tool Shed did a decent job of trying to duplicate that machine.

I highly recommend the EM6500 if you can afford it, it is well worth the money

If you have to get a clone, I recommend the SG6500 as it seems to be a decently well built machine considering the $500.00 pricetag.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to csareb For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2018, 03:29:19 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: New Generator, Short Review

20 hour run complete, no issues so far.
oil change showed considerably less metal particulates than previous oil change.
fuel consumption remains unchanged
exhaust note seems slightly quieter

checked all bolts and retightened any that were loose (was only a few frame bolts)

working on 50 hour run now.
Old 06-30-2018, 02:59:36 AM
Registered-I

50 hours done, oil changed again, and still havent had any major problems.
one minor issue I've noticed is the ignition switch is picky about how you push it to engage the starter. you need to push it up evenly using the middle of the top portion and press firmly. if you just catch a corner to press it up sometimes the starter doesnt engage. works fine as long as you push it straight up though.

!00 Hours done.
Checked Valve Lash, Cleaned spark plug (already replaced with a quality NGK plug when I first got the generator), and changed oil again, now switched over to high MOS2 Dino Oil. Will be going to High MOS2 Full Synthetic at 150 hours.
Noticed a slight improvement in fuel economy now that it has some hours on it, but still slightly less efficient than the Honda EM6500 at this point.
Old 06-30-2018, 04:25:30 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,005 Times in 1,699 Posts

What altitude are you at? Might check your plug to see how rich it is running. Replacement jets for clones are available from either gopowersports or the minibike / gokart suppliers like omb or bmi. BUT before you rejet consider an aftermarket air cleaner adapter. The stock airbox / filter on most clones are notorious for restricting air flow. (Not enough air = too rich = crappy fuel economy.) Adapter and filter combo will run about $20. Just looks funny hanging out side of gen.
Doc
Old 06-30-2018, 11:32:51 AM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaumaturge View Post
What altitude are you at? Might check your plug to see how rich it is running. Replacement jets for clones are available from either gopowersports or the minibike / gokart suppliers like omb or bmi. BUT before you rejet consider an aftermarket air cleaner adapter. The stock airbox / filter on most clones are notorious for restricting air flow. (Not enough air = too rich = crappy fuel economy.) Adapter and filter combo will run about $20. Just looks funny hanging out side of gen.
Doc
Elevation‎: ‎341 ft

The plug does show some carbonation, but not as severe as I've seen on some other clones. Thanks for the tip about the aftermarket air cleaner.
As for re-jetting, that is certainly an option as well, if the air cleaner alone doesn't correct the fuel economy. I have a genuine Honda GX390 carb sitting on a shelf that came off a go-cart and has the adjustable jet kit installed which I could try as well. (This engine doesn't need an adapter like the Predator brand clones do). Given that it needs choke to start even in hot weather (cold start) I am inclined to think the carb isn't running too rich however, so it could simply be only having 103 hours on it compared to the EM6500 which has over 650 hours on it and is past the 'break-in' stage already.
Maybe I just lucked out and got a good one, but I am actually surprised at how it seems to be reasonably well constructed considering it was only 500.00
But then again it also gets the same proper maintenence as my considerably more expensive Honda's, but that is true for all my engines.

(No worries the go-cart engine the carb on my shelf came off of is fine. the original owner thought the carb was bad and wanted it changed, but after changing the carb I found the problem was the coil was loose and out of adjustment. fixed that and got to keep the carb as payment).

May post some pics later. have to be careful of data usage on 4g, else I would post a vid of it running and compare the sound with my EM6500 pulling the same load (LED Lighting, high efficiency battery chargers, energy-star appliances, computer, and small window AC unit.) about 4900w when the coffee maker, A/C, and fridge are all running and the batteries are low (I have a gas Maytag washer so not an issue)

Last edited by csareb; 06-30-2018 at 12:26:07 PM.
Old 06-30-2018, 12:07:11 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,005 Times in 1,699 Posts

Needing to choke on start is normal for clones, but usually just for a few seconds. My current gen is well broke in at 3300 hours ACTUAL run time, as recorded on add on hour meter. (Another recomended add on ~$10). Anyway it still starts easiest with just full choke and one or two pulls. Then turn choke right off.

Not a problem if used every day, but if used intermittantly be certain to turn off gas and run carb dry between uses. Iff you haven't yet add some neodinium magnets to your drain plugs. Secret to long life is to get those abrasive particles OUT of circulation, then out of engine on each oil change. I change mine weekly, which averages about 100 hours between changes. Don't use synthetics.... a waste of money. Just Castrol 20w-50 (preferred for hotter climates) or Castrol GTX 10W-40. I only use molybdenum disulfide as a one time treatment, but use a teaspoon of pure powder after third oil change. Expensive but basically a one time purchase. One jar lasted me 40 years.
Doc
Old 06-30-2018, 12:13:09 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,774 Times in 1,631 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by csareb View Post
Elevation‎: ‎341 ft

(I have a gas Maytag washer so not an issue)
They still made, or you have an antique?
The Following User Says Thank You to Power For This Post:
Old 06-30-2018, 01:20:35 PM
Registered-I

Its an antique. I was fortunate to find one at a resonable price (300.00) in serviceable condition, and with a few minor repairs is as good as new.

Thanks.
Yes I use neodynum magnets and during break in change oil every 15-20 hours, then go to every 100 hours after 150 hours accumulated.
This generator has an hour meter that doubles as frequency and voltage meter on it already.
I use 15w-40 in lieu of 20w-50 as its still heavy enough for summer, while being thin enough for Kentucky winters as well.
Mobil Delvac or Rotella T4 Dino Oil, and Liqui Moly Synthetic 15w-40 after break in.

I run MOS2 continuously after break-in period (150 hours) seems to improve fuel economy as well as preserving the engine.

No issues with sitting. The engine runs every other day, for 24 hours at a time. I switch back and forth between it and the EM6500 so both get to run frequently.

out of curiosity what would the interest be? Would anyone like to see how I have the generators set up? the #6Awg copper welding cable soldered into 240v 30a plugs and run to the transfer switch (switches between EM6500 and Sg6500 as totally off grid) and the main panel, and pics of the generators themselves?
Just curious as I dont want to waste the forum's bandwidth that could be otherwise served to host needed images posted by people needing help identifying problems.
Old 07-01-2018, 12:29:36 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,774 Times in 1,631 Posts

I would like to see your set-up
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Power For This Post:
Old 07-01-2018, 01:03:29 PM
Registered-I

Thanks. I will take my phone and get some pics as soon as possible. too hot to go outside in the daytime except to top off the gas tank. even then I have to wear a #6 welders lens observation goggles because my eyes are not what they once were. I am very photosensitive these days.