Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

Carbon Brush Connection - Glue or Cement

this thread has 23 replies and has been viewed 13354 times

Old 06-30-2008, 11:28:15 PM
Don Smith

Default Re: Carbon brush connection - Glue or Cement

You might try adding some copper filings to the conductive glue. Make the hole a bit larger than the lead and fold it over inside the hole. Make sure the hole is filled with the conductive glue when installing the lead. Since the carbon brush is also not real conductive the glue should work fine. Wash out the hole before adding the glue to remove any loose carbon dust. Don Smith
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2008, 12:44:01 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogdoog View Post
I was thinking of sanding the brush down to size and drilling a hole to insert the braided copper wire.
Just how big are these brushes? Would it be practical to drill and tap them for a coarse-pitch screw, and use a crimp lug on the braid?

Fred
Old 07-02-2008, 04:21:50 AM
Registered-III

Aloha,
I have a lot of brushes of various sizes but the one I need to modify is small, less than 1/4" square. The brush is for a automobile window lift motor and I can't find any of these brushes around. Actually, I have a whole bucket full of carbon brushes but of the larger sizes. TIA

Mahalo,
doogdoog
Old 07-02-2008, 11:24:30 AM
Don Smith

My Local ACE Hardware has a collection of brushes for sale in their hardware section. They have a collection of parts drawers where you can find things like spacers, special nuts, "C" clips, toggle switches, and other special hardware assortments. Might find one there. I believe Home Depot also has the same type of collection of special hardware drawers. Don Smith
Old 07-02-2008, 05:31:34 PM
Registered-III

Aloha Don,
Yes, I have to check out ACE to see what they have. I remember in the old days, they had practically any spare part that was needed. Now, they only keep a small supply of parts but yes, it would be a good idea to check them out. TIA

Mahalo,
doogdoog
Old 07-02-2008, 07:10:31 PM
Registered-III

If there are any electrical (automotive) rebuilders around your area, they should be able to get some for you. I used to get small brushes for window motors and headlight motors out of ACE Houston several years ago when I was in the parts business.

David
Old 07-03-2008, 10:37:45 AM
Don Smith

If you cannot find any there email me the specs (meaurments) and I will try to find them. Would need length, width, thickness of the brush as well as the length of the lead and any information as to its material, type of unit it is used, etc. Don Smith
Old 07-03-2008, 08:33:44 PM
Registered-II

Almost sounds like it's about the size of a small power tool brush. Got any old drills around the shop?

Jim
Old 07-04-2008, 03:14:13 AM
Registered-III

Aloha,
Thanks for the replies and Don, I will have to measure the brush when I have access to it again and will let you know. Yes Jim, it looks like a small power tool brush but these are hard to find. I went to ACE hardware and asked the salesperson if they sold carbon brushes for an electric motor and she said I don't think we have paint brushes for that. LOL It's a minor thing but it's so sad that we cannot get parts like the old days (wow! I am old!). TIA

Mahalo,
doogdoog
Old 07-04-2008, 04:30:27 PM
Registered-III

Photo Re: Carbon brush connection - Glue or Cement

Aloha,
I found a brush that may fit from McMaster-Carr and it is a little pricey for the size 3/16" square X 1/2" long (not including shipping). It sells for $8.12 each but the braided wire is on the end and not on the side like the original (don't know if it will hit the sides of the motor). Anyone know of a cheaper place? TIA

Mahalo,
doogdoog
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brush.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	3.2 KB
ID:	35610