Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

Carbon Brush Connection - Glue or Cement

this thread has 23 replies and has been viewed 14250 times

Old 07-04-2008, 04:47:02 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Carbon brush connection - Glue or Cement

You know another good place to look for carbon brushes is vaccuum cleaner sales and service places......

If you can still find one these days
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2008, 11:00:23 PM
Don Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogdoog View Post
Aloha,
Thanks for the replies and Don, I will have to measure the brush when I have access to it again and will let you know. Yes Jim, it looks like a small power tool brush but these are hard to find. I went to ACE hardware and asked the salesperson if they sold carbon brushes for an electric motor and she said I don't think we have paint brushes for that. LOL It's a minor thing but it's so sad that we cannot get parts like the old days (wow! I am old!). TIA

Mahalo,
doogdoog
From the sounds of it she has not a clue of what they have in stock. Did you find the section with the parts drawers. They are about 12 x 12 inches and stacked. They hold special parts like wing nuts, lamp parts, carbon brushes, C-clips, hairpin clips, roll pins and a lot of unusual parts. It would be in the hardware section. As far as I know they all stock them. Don Smith send me the size and I will find them.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:43:37 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 2,783 Times in 611 Posts

Would jb weld work to glue in the wire?
Old 04-29-2018, 03:09:41 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,808 Times in 1,658 Posts

The Ford and GM window and windshield wiper motors I have repaired had sintered copper brushes. I suspect the current is too high for a small carbon brush.