Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Wisconsin Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Wisconsin Engines Single cylinder up to V4 engines.

Wisconsin Engines

Wisconsin VF-4 - Gorman-Rupp 5303 Questions

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 464 times

Old 02-06-2018, 02:41:15 PM
Registered

Default Wisconsin VF-4 - Gorman-Rupp 5303 Questions

Hello. First post here, so please go easy I have a Gorman-Rupp model 5303 3" irrigation pump powered by a Wisconsin VF4 #2A engine. The assembly is mounted on a heavy-duty, metal-tired cart that may or may not be OEM. I acquired it a few years ago for a contingency that never occurred. According to the BOM I obtained from Gorman, this equipment was sold as a unit in 1946. The seller claimed it was a back-up blueberry farm pump with few hours, but wasn't running because it had sat for years. The engine turns freely by hand (I do hear 2 distinct "clicks" per rotation, which I assume are valves opening and closing?) Over the next 2 - 3 years, I am going to be downsizing, and will need to "declutter." Unfortunately, I will need to dispose of this item over that period of time. My questions relate mostly to the best way to sell this. I'd like to sell it as a unit, unless the items have much more value sold separately. Any informed opinions on that are welcome. Also, can anyone hazard a guess as to how much the value might increase if I could show it running vs non-running (but in apparent good condition?) I do have some mechanical skills, and wouldn't mind making the effort to restore to running condition, but I don't have a tremendous amount of free time, and I would need to consider the potential return on it. Any other tips on selling an item of this kind would be appreciated. Also, while the Gorman BOM specifies a VF4, the seller gave me an original VE4 manual issue MM230 with the equipment. How much trouble might I get into relying on that manual for this engine? Thanks very much for any help or words of advice...
-SAM

---------- Post added at 01:41:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:25:20 PM ----------

P.S. it looks like the same pump and engine shown in this thread:
https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72432
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2018, 02:44:38 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 5,939 Times in 3,859 Posts
Default Re: Wisconsin VF-4 - Gorman-Rupp 5303 questions

Chances are the clicks you are hearing is the magneto latch off mechanism. the latch off retards timing, making the engine easier to start, and also intensifies spark. the valves should make virtually no noise until the engine runs, and at that, if properly adjusted should be virtually silent. Does the engine have compression? If mot, at a minimum you should pull the heads and see if the valves are opening and closing. If they are not, then you need to soak the stems with a good solvent, and setting the piston at TDC, on each cylinder, Gently tap with a plastic or small brass hammer. DO NOT beat on the valves! gently does it! You may have to do this several times, until the valves close on their own. If the faces are clean, re-install the heads and see if compression comes up. For now, if the old head gaskets didn't tear, you can re-use them to do this test. If you now have compression, you are ahead of the game. With the plugs grounded, see if you have spark. Check the oil level and see if the oil is clean. if the engine was outside, you need to pull the oil pan drain plug, to see if there is water in the pan. If all is good, try priming the carb with some gas, and try to start the engine. if it fires up, you are set for the next step - cleaning the carb and possibly the fuel tank. A running unit will sell for much more than a 'dead' engine. If it doesn't run, don't expect to get much more than scrap price. Running, I would expect for the unit to go for 2 to 3 hundred minimum. I would think the engine alone would be worth that!

By the way, welcome to the Stak!
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 02-06-2018, 03:56:00 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Wisconsin VF-4 - Gorman-Rupp 5303 questions

I believe this should not be run without water in pump due to overheating water seal, correct me if wrong.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ken Karrow For This Post:
Old 02-08-2018, 10:52:05 AM
Registered

Default Re: Wisconsin VF-4 - Gorman-Rupp 5303 Questions

Thanks for the help, gentlemen. I will follow the steps suggested to check out the engine and report the results. Re supplying water to the pump, would a hose hooked up to a trash can filled with water likely do the trick? According to the BOM, the pump is rated at 275 gpm maximum output. That only works out to about 10 seconds at full output. I'm a little reluctant to flood my yard with this thing
Old 02-08-2018, 01:55:55 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Wisconsin VF-4 - Gorman-Rupp 5303 Questions

Your VE book will work. A ve is 3 x 31/4 and vf is 31/4 x 31/4 bore stroke. Do not run without water in the pump. As long as there is water flow in the pump the seal will not burn. As to price it will be worth more if it is running.