Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Wisconsin Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Wisconsin Engines Single cylinder up to V4 engines.

Wisconsin Engines

"New Wisconsin AEN"

this thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 1042 times

Old 05-08-2018, 10:06:03 PM
Registered

Default "New Wisconsin AEN"

Hello all, it's been a while since I last posted on this forum. I just acquired a "new" Wisconsin engine form my teacher at the local college who heard that I like old engines. Anyway, it's a Wisconsin AEN all complete that he has had on his property that was used for a grass cutter. Said it hasn't been running in 30 years. Well it still turns over so not seized up and the price was grate! Free! the carb is sized but hey I think I can fix that. Every thing else is still there all complete. It has the Fairbanks Morse magneto on it. Any idea what year it was made? Thanks and God bless.

I'm happy with it! cant wait to tear it down and get it running again.
The Following User Says Thank You to mjohansson For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2018, 08:08:21 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: "New Wisconsin AEN"

What is the serial number? The AEN was made from 1949 to 1957, and was replaced by the very popular & very similar AENL.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:47:16 AM
Registered

I found out by the SN number it was made in 1955. I have started taking it ALL down for cleaning and rebuild. I as stuck at the fly wheel pulley. There is a pin through the aluminum starter nut. Is that pin supposed to be taken out or left in? What size is that nut?
The carburetor is a Zenith cast iron unit I have never seen a cast iron carburetor before. Cool.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:10:30 PM
Registered-I

Hello,
If you are talking about the nut that you use with a hand crank, the pin stays in, I just use a big adjustable open end wrench(cresent) on it.
Old 05-12-2018, 05:36:30 PM
Registered

Ok, I have let the starter pulley nut soak in PB Blaster and it is just not comming off nothing I do seams to work. Maybe a torch?
Old 05-12-2018, 05:59:27 PM
Registered-III

Pull the cylinder head, and stuff the cylinder full of rope. Crank the engine over counter clockwise when looking at the flywheel until it stops. You will need a crescent wrench or an open end wrench the size of the nut on the back of the rope sheave. Once snug on the nut, strike the end of the wrench with a 2lb hammer. The rope sheave will loosen up. It has standard threads. Every now and then you come across a rope sheave that is stuck or corroded so bad that its removal pulls the threads out. Hopefully that is not the case. I have used this method to remove many Wisconsin rope sheaves.

Chris
The Following User Says Thank You to K-Tron For This Post:
Old 05-12-2018, 11:09:36 PM
Registered-I

Hello,
I like the rope trick ideal, sounds like that would work.
Since it is just the engine, he could put a large pipe wrench on the output side of the crankshaft(with keyway in place as a catch point), don't forget to wrap the crank with some leather or a piece of rubber to protect the shaft. He should be able to get the nut off with the crankshaft locked up. That should work, so he doesn't have to take the head off.
But, I do like the rope trick....
Oh, njohanson can you post a picture of this pin that is on your starter nut/rope pully? If it goes all the way though the crankshaft, you may have to remove it.... sounds like someone may have added it for some reason, a pin is not shown in the manual.
Good luck.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:57:11 AM
Subscriber

The pin is to hold the rope sheave to the nut. Later models had the nut & sheave as all aluminum, earlier ones had a steel nut with an aluminum sheave slid on & pinned.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zira For This Post:
Old 05-14-2018, 01:52:34 AM
Registered

Yeah, I put the pin back in and I used a torch to heat the aluminum pulley I finally managed to get the starter pulley off and the crank threads are still good. Next came the fly wheel I used one of those three arm pulley from Craftsman that I had bought about 20 years ago and forgot I had. Two tries with the torch to get the fly wheel off. Thank God I got if off.
The top ring of the piston is gummed in stuck but I think that wont be a problem the engine looks good on the inside no rust or metal parts in the pan. I ohmed out the magneto coil and I got a reading of 4.800 ohms any body know what it is supposed to read? Are the cast Iron Zenith carburetor rebuild kits available?
Old 05-15-2018, 07:50:48 PM
Sponsor

Try these guys. They're one of our Smokstak sponsors.

McDonald Carb & Ignition
www.mcdonaldscarb.com
1001 Commerce Rd.
Jefferson, GA 30549
706-367-4179