Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Inherited Grampa's Engines, Need Help

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 2176 times

Old 07-25-2006, 12:19:08 AM
Registered-II

Default Inherited Grampa's Engines, Need Help

Hello. I am new to this forum, and antique engines as well. My grandfather just gave me his engine collection (two International Harvester LA engines, and a 1900's Atlas water pump). He is still around, but wanted to make sure I recieve these engines before something happens to him. I am under obligation to keep them in the family (not that I'd have it any other way) and would like to get them running again. I have worked on hundreds of modern lawnmower engines, and countless automobile engines, but this dern thing has me stumped! First off, I do not seem to be getting spark out of either magneto; Second, I screwed up the timing by removing the mag and cranking the motor. Any help would be greatly appreciated. By the way, if any of you have been to the Dublin antique engine show in NH, you may have met Lester Bishop, my grandfather. Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2006, 02:14:10 AM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,938 Times in 1,177 Posts
Default Re: Inherited Grampa's Engines, Need Help

B
Do a search of the archives here and you will likely find a lot of information.
You can also search the advertisers here to find a reprint of a manual for them. They're just like the other engines you've worked on... they need only fuel spark and compression. You'll do fine. The magneto problem could be as simple as a bad points or condensor or needing a good charging of the magnets. Post photos if you can, and you'll get more guys looking at this thread. Congratulations. Kevin
Old 07-25-2006, 02:15:49 AM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,938 Times in 1,177 Posts

P.S. The one I had didn't have any timing marks on the gears. I remember adding some punch marks and then finding out it was off... The poor guy who will restore it in the future is in for a surprise! Kevin
Old 07-25-2006, 09:53:19 AM
Registered-III

Hello Mr. Bishop,

You can find a manual for your engines located here:

http://www.oldengine.org/docs/IHC_LA_OM.pdf

Luke Tonneberger
Rockford, Michigan
USA
Old 07-26-2006, 12:30:11 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 5,944 Times in 3,863 Posts
Exclamation Re: Inherited Grampa's Engines, Need Help

Welcome to the old engine hobby! Make sure the points are clean, and that they are properly gapped. If you still have problems, check out the sponsors, and advertisers, here at the Stak. Keep us posted, and thank Harry (the site owner) for letting us to be able to help you (and others) out.
Andrew
Old 07-26-2006, 11:01:51 AM
Registered-II

Thanks for all the help! I printed the manual and am currently studying it. My engines have a different mag installed, so I guess I'll be barking up a different tree for info on them. Thanks for all your help!

-Brandon
Old 07-26-2006, 11:32:12 PM
Registered-II

Well, I cleaned and gapped the points and sure as rain, she "pops." Won't stay running, but at least im properly timed and the spark seems hot enough for it. I readjusted the valves while I was at it. From what I can tell, the only thing keeping it from running is a leaky carb gasket, pinched fuel line, and seemingly cloudy fuel. The water hopper is also leaking from a plug on the bottom... Next step? dissasemble, clean, and re-seal the entire motor. I now know why these old engines are a great hobby. Thanks for the help!
Old 07-27-2006, 07:59:44 AM
Registered-III

Bbishop, I have found out here on this great forum that these engine's start and run better on Coleman camping fuel and the fuel does not go stale.I have it in all 21 of my engines now and they sure run a lot better. Benny
Old 07-27-2006, 11:05:02 PM
Registered-III

Bbishop,

You wrote: "The water hopper is also leaking from a plug on the bottom..."

The "freeze plug" is leaking. The replacement part is: Dorman 550-033 available from your local auto parts house. The old unit can be removed by hammering a punch through it and then pry it out. Be sure to clean the seating area and then apply RTV around the edge before inserting new part. You seat the "freeze plug" with a hammer.

Francis
Old 07-28-2006, 11:00:07 PM
Registered-II

Thanks! That's my next step-- replacing all gaskets and seals. Say, just today, I installed new mixer gaskets, rebuilt the fuel line with copper tubing (my grandfather was using a piece of rubber hose to connect the severed fuel lines together... a total mess) I made sure to solder the old foot valve to the new line (and it works). I am getting spark, air, and fuel... but now she won't even light up! Is it the E-10 fuel? I'll have to get some coleman fuel (white gas) tommorrow. I was running some older high-test when I first tried getting it to run, and it showed some signs of life. Today, I decided to go for some new 87 octane and (this is after I replaced the leaky carb gaskets and fuel line) and now I cannot get it to do anything.