Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

McCormick Deering 22-36 in Tennessee

this thread has 247 replies and has been viewed 29957 times

Old 05-17-2015, 12:30:24 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: McCormick Deering 22-36 in Tennessee

Okay, I'm starting to understand this. And where this thread was moved to. Thank you to the moderator for the thread move.

When I have more time I'll be happy to do more digging and see what all I can find that this forum had to offer.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2015, 07:28:07 AM
Registered-I

A few more photos:
Date on left side of block.
Stamped numbers on right side of block.
Robin exhaust and intake manifolds.
Robin carburetor.
Broken bowl cover.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rwood64083 For This Post:
Old 05-18-2015, 09:38:33 AM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 5,658 Times in 2,940 Posts

Likely the float would stick ocassionally and they would hammer on it to free it, I'd say they hit it a bit too hard once too often. Might find a replacement up north as they were quite popular there. Also other conventional carburetors will readily fit on that manifold set up. F.J.W.
The Following User Says Thank You to FWurth For This Post:
Old 05-18-2015, 12:19:03 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,306 Times in 355 Posts

My old 15-30 has the Robin manifold on it but I took the Robin carb off and put a marvel carb on. I want switch that one out and put a carb from a 44 massey on it. I like the old mcormick deering tractors. They broke a lot of land around here back in the day.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wayne Riedlinger For This Post:
Old 05-18-2015, 12:41:49 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Riedlinger View Post
My old 15-30 has the Robin manifold on it but I took the Robin carb off and put a marvel carb on. I want switch that one out and put a carb from a 44 massey on it. I like the old mcormick deering tractors. They broke a lot of land around here back in the day.
Much appreciated info. Will start researching MF 44 carbs to find out what they are and locate one.

Besides the bowl top being broken, the other problem with this Robin assembly is that it sticks out to the left of the engine compartment too much and the side curtain pushes on it. Hopefully a different configuration carb will sit inside the compartment a tad bit more.

---------- Post added at 11:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 AM ----------

Also, I'm not a fan of the hole that was cut in the hood to allow for the upright exhaust from the Robin manifold. Something I'll look into alternatives later.
Old 05-18-2015, 03:28:38 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 5,658 Times in 2,940 Posts

There were other aftermarket set ups for those tractors other than Robbin. They all put the exhaust thru the top of the hood to get the heat away from the motor area. That was a must when getting away from kerosene fuel and burning gas. By converting to gas with the proper manifold and carb and bumping the RPMs a bit they were able to boost the out put nearly 30% Many of these old powered up Deerings were in service well into the 50s being replaced with much newer and modern units available then. Both of mine were still in use yet in 1960! F.J.W.
The Following User Says Thank You to FWurth For This Post:
Old 05-18-2015, 04:05:53 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWurth View Post
There were other aftermarket set ups for those tractors other than Robbin. They all put the exhaust thru the top of the hood to get the heat away from the motor area. That was a must when getting away from kerosene fuel and burning gas. By converting to gas with the proper manifold and carb and bumping the RPMs a bit they were able to boost the out put nearly 30% Many of these old powered up Deerings were in service well into the 50s being replaced with much newer and modern units available then. Both of mine were still in use yet in 1960! F.J.W.
I'm soaking up every bit of information you all share with me. Some of it I've learned researching this model tractor. I particularly like the info shared from some of the guys old enough that have operated these things in the many years past.

I turn 50 years old in a few months. I remember as a teenager thinking I was born out of my time. Always had an interest in things from the past. I currently have a 55 Bel-Air two door hardtop that's needing restoration and a nicely restored 1965 Harley Electra Glide. I feel this 22-36 will be the first of many older tractors. I'm gonna need a bigger shop
Old 05-18-2015, 10:30:14 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwood64083 View Post
As far as numbers go, what I've found so far is a stamping in the right side of the block (116183) and a date embossed on the left side (5-21-29). From what I've read there should be some more numbers stamped on the block somewhere. I will continue to search.

A little more info that I know about Bertha:
*She was brought back to the states from Canada.
*As it's paint is falling apart I'm finding traces of red in many areas under the gray. I know the wheels were red but I'm talking about areas on sheet metal, body, engine, trans, etc. From my research I thought these earlier models were all gray.
*Engine is fitted with water pump assembly and what looks to be some form of radiator fan that has springs on the front of it.
*It's also fitted with a PTO shaft that sits up high on the back of the tractor. I didn't know this was an option (?).
*It has an aftermarket Robin brand intake and exhaust manifold (which are in good shape) and also Robin carburetor. The carb top that sits above the bowl which holds the float assembly is broken. Found a lot of great info on why aftermarket assemblies like this were installed. Very fascinating history on this stuff.
On my '28 15-30 the block number matches the tag number.
Mine was also a re-import from Canada...
According to everything I can find they were grey with red wheels up into '36. So all the Mc-D 15-30s and 22-36's.
The water pump was a new addition to the 22-36 for '29. My '28 15-30 doesn't have one. Yours should also have a single disc clutch as opposed to the multi-disc on my '28.
The PTO is, from all accounts, quite rare to find installed, they all have the shaft to the back of the tractor but most just have a cover over it. I'd really love to see some detail pics of that, I may want to machine one for mine.
My '28 also was converted to gas operation with an upright manifold (MIA though, not Robin). I've been told that the MIA and Robin manifolds were both reasonably common in Canada. Mine has a poorly adapted Zenith carb from a Ford Model B on it. When the engine is out and rebuilt that will likely change so that the governor is properly working.

I'm looking forward to watching your progress!
The Following User Says Thank You to rennkafer For This Post:
Old 05-18-2015, 11:08:40 PM
Registered-I

Thanks Rennkafer. I'll get photos of the PTO shaft area for you tomorrow (hopefully I'll remember).

I thought all those year McDs were grey with red wheels also. I suppose it may have been grey, then someone painted it red, and later on in it's life someone painted it grey again. I'm not seeing traces of grey under the red yet, just on top of the red paint. I'll keep digging.

The engine number and the ID tag have the same number on yours? Interesting. Maybe there's still some signs of hope that I can have a reprint made.

My plan is to keep the steel wheels on it and have road bands made. I thought about removing the cleats and installing rubber tread. But I think it takes away from the nostalgic look of the tractor. What I'd really like to find is another set of front and rear rims. I have a vision
Old 05-19-2015, 12:36:53 AM
Registered-I

Ya, mine is on rubber with the original centers welded to rims. I'd love to have steel to put it on but the few I've seen for sale were expensive and in the midwest which is a big shipping bill to the Northwest where I am.

No hurry on the pics, I'm still setting up shop in the house we bought last summer and the tractor is still on the way apart. It'll be a while before I can do much home machining.