Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

1927 20-35 Allis Chalmers

this thread has 98 replies and has been viewed 12708 times

Old 03-13-2016, 11:56:35 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: 1927 20-35 Allis Chalmers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Johnson View Post
Jacob, how did you get the bearing sleeve out?
Oh yeah, forgot to mention that. After unsuccessfully trying to come up with a configuration of snap ring pliers or whatever misc junk I had in my toolbox that would fit down into the sleeve and grab on the holes, I ended up getting a long punch down through the seal end and drive it out by the holes. Did what I know I shouldn't have and used a regular punch (couldn't find a brass one) and ended up boogering up the holes a bit, but a little work with a file and that was fixed.

The bearing sleeve is in there fairly snug. I had to put a clamp on it to get it started back into the hub, it was too strong to just squeeze it by hand to get it started.

I'm still convinced if a guy had the correct right angle-long nose-special tip pair of pliers to grab on the holes it would come out easily. But now that it has a new seal, I should never have to worry about taking it apart as long as I'll ever care

Thanks for all the advice guys, I really do appreciate it!
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacob WI For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2016, 10:38:13 PM
Subscriber

It was so nice here today I set up the bench and chair outside to clean parts!

Got the front crank pulley cleaned up

Note the old welded up repair. It's been this way for this long, I'm not even going to do anything with it, adds character

Got the governor mounting bracket cleaned up

And a new gasket made for it

This gasket is needed because the locating pin goes into the governor housing hole, which is drilled through to where the oil is. Strange design, which they changed in later years.

I tell ya, the '27's were an odd bunch. There are a LOT of little things that are different from other years.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jacob WI For This Post:
Old 03-13-2016, 10:54:17 PM
Subscriber

Then I cleaned up the water elbow. This connects the water pump to the lower radiator outlet with two pieces of hose and four hose clamps. In '28 they changed the design of the water pump outlet to angle toward the lower radiator outlet, along with the lower radiator outlet being angled up, connected by one piece of hose and only two hose clamps. They were still cutting costs of production. So talking about '27 differences again, the water pump casting, lower radiator tank, and cast elbow are all different from '28 and on 20-35's.

The ends are a tad pitted and crusty on my elbow and water manifold (which I'll get to in a minute) What do you guys like to put on castings that are rough like this to help seal them up against the hoses? What is the best "schmootz" to use?

---------- Post added at 09:54:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47:10 PM ----------

Then I cleaned up the water manifold. This connects from the top of the heads up to the top radiator outlet with a piece of hose.

I have to touch up (smooth out) the surfaces where the manifold meets the heads a bit yet, bit that is nothing a trip to the sander can't fix.

The intake manifold was next.

I think I'll get a long round wire brush to clean out the inside passages a bit better, but it is looking pretty good.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jacob WI For This Post:
Old 03-13-2016, 11:05:40 PM
Subscriber

And last for today was the left spindle. Got it cleaned up and got a game plan on how to redo the spindle bushings cost effectively. More on that at a later date.

And with that, I'm about out of dirty parts here with me to clean up!

My sister is expecting in the beginning of April, so when she has baby I'll be making a trip back to WI. Then I'll be UNCLE Jacob, it's exciting, I've never got to be an Uncle before.
I'll have to bring some more parts back with me then, though the dirty pile is getting smaller than the cleaned up pile, which is a very good sign!
Old 03-13-2016, 11:43:31 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,405 Times in 801 Posts

On the pitted cast water manifolds and connections i just clean them good and use grease when the hose goes on.
The Following User Says Thank You to Russ Hamm For This Post:
Old 03-14-2016, 11:45:15 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,537 Times in 1,125 Posts

I've made good repairs on pitted water manifolds, especially if the pits were deep, by cleaning them up to bare metal in the blast cabinet and then filling the pits with JB weld or similar. Sand them smooth and paint and your good as new.
Old 03-20-2016, 03:34:18 PM
Subscriber

One more step forward on Big Al.

I got the new piece of brass tube soldered into the carburetor plug to replace the original tube that was cracked up.

So can anyone explain to me what the purpose of this tube is even for? It is capped on the bottom with the plug, and is open on the top even with the top of the center jet thing. So nothing actually goes through it. I guess as long as it works, I'm OK with the answer to "how does this carb work?" being "magic".
Ha!
So the carb is all done now, yeah!

I also finished cleaning up the water manifold and water elbow and intake manifold. I smoothed up the gasket surfaces on the sander, and got a round wire brush to put in the drill to clean up the inside of the tubes better.
I also took your advice Phil and got some JB Weld. After I wire wheeled up the areas where the hoses go, I smeared some JB Weld in the pits. After letting it dry over night I filed and sanded the necks smooth.

Wow is that nice! I have a confession to make, I have heard of people using JB Weld for years, but this is the first time I actually have used it myself. That stuff is awesome!
Quick (probably dumb) question with it. Do I need to paint the ends, or is the JB Weld fine left raw? Will the antifreeze hurt it if not painted? I'm not painting this tractor, so that is why I ask.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jacob WI For This Post:
Old 03-20-2016, 05:29:16 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,537 Times in 1,125 Posts

Anti freeze shouldn't hurt it unpainted. I've never had any trouble as long as the JB weld has a good bond to clean metal.
Old 03-21-2016, 12:13:53 AM
Subscriber

Thanks Phil & Jacob WI ; I also have a pulley on my Allis model " L " 15/ 25 that is welded, Also one of the cylinders is welded and I was also told that gives the tractor character. I did not know that J B Weld could be used on pipes, like Phil said. Back when I was working on my model " L " I used some J B on the oil pan. what I ran into was the oilpan had a lot of holes in it ,cut off bottom of pan, then weld new bottom on , then the fun started, A oil drain pug was brazed in at MFG time , Well one can`t weld to braze, So I used some JB to unit the new bottom to the oilplug. That was back in 2009 and it is still holding. Sounds and looks like you are having lots of fun reworking this tractor. Roger Weinhold AKA Charlie 1925
The Following User Says Thank You to Charlie1925 For This Post:
Old 04-16-2016, 11:17:05 PM
Subscriber

Yes Roger, I AM having a lot of fun restoring this tractor!

And I have a few more updates on it. I made my trip home last weekend, and brought the parts I had done back, and loaded up some more to bring back to ND with me.

While in WI Dad and I made time to get the clutch out of the tractor, and I amazingly got the clutch housing all cleaned out! Man was that a dirty mess! I believe it was Craig that compared an antique tractor clutch housing to the bowls of hell? It's a fair comparison.

Dad also located the square head bolt for the rear pivot of the front axle from Fastenal
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jacob WI For This Post: