Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

Rumely 36 HP " Canadian model " restoration nearly complete.

this thread has 62 replies and has been viewed 10306 times

Old 08-13-2015, 03:09:45 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 1,811 Times in 412 Posts
Default Rumely 36 HP " Canadian model " restoration nearly complete.

The big Rumely project is now down to the smaller details. This is an Alberta dry bottom boilered model built as a 1911 model # 6036. It was sold new out of the Calgary Rumely Branch House and shipped to Manyberries Alta. arriving there for its first inspection on May 22 1912.
My hunting and gathering started 25 years ago. Two years ago I decided that it was time to put it together. Over all those years I had some incredible good luck in locating parts and pieces. I started with only the rear wheels . In all we located 5 sites where 36 Rumelys were either scrapped or picked apart. these ranged from mile 18 on the Alaska Hwy to Big River Sask, Southern Alberta, and Central BC. The boiler and a lot of parts came from a mill site near Prince George BC. The boiler was stored inside but when the old girl was parted out the pieces were pushed over the bank and buried. Our excavator unearthed a lot of pieces some that would be otherwise nearly imposable to find.
Gary will post some photos on which I will comment . All questions welcome
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2015, 08:21:21 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Rumely 36 HP " Canadian model " restoration nearly complete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by george hoffman View Post
This is an Alberta dry bottom boilered model built as a 1911 model # 6036. It was sold new out of the Calgary Rumely Branch House and shipped to Manyberries Alta. arriving there for its first inspection on May 22 1912. All questions welcome
Hello George,

As you mentioned, this engine you are restoring is using parts from multiple engines. What part of this engine are you tying it's history to?
I would assume the boiler and the parts that were dug up and not the rear wheels you started with. Does this engine have a serial number?

Thanks for doing the good work and bringing another piece of history back to life.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to K.O'Connell For This Post:
Old 08-13-2015, 08:41:19 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,305 Times in 354 Posts

George I sure admire the lengths you and others have and are going to for the preservation of these engines. The determination, perseverance, dedication and probably a good bit of plain old sh.......house luck, and patience. And a lot of work.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wayne Riedlinger For This Post:
Old 08-13-2015, 08:43:01 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,602 Times in 493 Posts

George, being that your engine was sold in Alberta,was it stamped with an "A" number? If so, where?

Thank you.

www.lundmachine.com
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LundMachineWorks For This Post:
Old 08-13-2015, 09:52:35 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 8,191 Times in 2,109 Posts

Geetings George,
I'm posting the photos you emailed me. I had to tweak them slightly to make them post. I hope the order I did them is okay with you.

I must say, you have done a stunning job on this engine and I love hearing the history you have of these Canadian Special models.
Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	36hp Rumely CS George, Doris Hoffman engine fitting_edited-1.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	231892   Click image for larger version

Name:	36hp Rumely CS George Hoffman April 2015 Engine Fitting 006_edited-1.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	231893   Click image for larger version

Name:	36hp Rumely CS George Hoffman Side tank bunkers and 30 HP boiler 002_edited-1.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	231894   Click image for larger version

Name:	36hp Rumely CS George, Doris Hoffman, R Aug 2015 006_edited-1.jpg
Views:	608
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	231895  
Old 08-13-2015, 11:48:33 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 28,068 Times in 7,093 Posts

Wow! This is looking first class. Thanks for the thread George and Gary.
George - do you have the family name of the folks at Manyberries? Perhaps it will show up in a testimonial in one of the magazines from the day. I have a few copies here.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Old 08-13-2015, 03:35:55 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O'Connell View Post
Hello George,

As you mentioned, this engine you are restoring is using parts from multiple engines. What part of this engine are you tying it's history to?
I would assume the boiler and the parts that were dug up and not the rear wheels you started with. Does this engine have a serial number?

Thanks for doing the good work and bringing another piece of history back to life.
You are correct. The boiler and the parts we dug up in Prince George gave me the boiler's Alberta number A 797 . Thanks to Randy Kevill we obtained 25 pages from the Alberta archives which included the original build sheets from Erie Ironworks dated Feb 20th 1911 . This also gave us the engine's Rumely serial number # 6036 . Fortunately all of the numbers on this boiler are perfectly clear to read. The Alberta numbers are stamped above the fire door Just to the right of center below the hand hole.
The boiler had been used for heating up until 1983. so we had a fairly recent inspection report that gave me the BC registration figures to coincide with the BC number stamped on the boiler. All of the Erie build numbers are to the right of the fire door just above center. Cheers George

---------- Post added at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 AM ----------

Rick, My wife and I spent a day in Manyberries last year and came up dry. I wrote an article and sent it to the local farm paper which has a circulation of 600 and again came up dry. Here is the names of the first owners .
It appears it was bought by a consortium of farmers. I have no idea what it cost new. The 35 N&S came from the same area and it was $4500 so the Rumely would be in the same price range. A lot of Moola in 1912. So from the inspection sheets of 1912 the owners were Wilson,Manning,Harper,Emmerson. In sept 1913 the owners were Wilson and Harper. The engineer was Wilson. They had already needed boiler repairs. It reads " Repair bulge in crown sheet and replace 6 radial stays". In Sept 1915 the owners were listed as Wilson and Harper with Engineer Harper. On 18th of July 1916 it was still Wilson and Harper but moved to Vulcan Alberta. In July of 1917 it shows the owner as M Rumely Co Calgary There it had more boiler repairs for a total of 22 radial stays. In 1918 Rumely sold it to a T Stevens and shipped it to Barons Alberta near Lethbridge . And on it goes arriving at the mill site where we dug up the parts in Prince George in Jan 1944 Fortunatly the young fellow ,Tom Mc Lennan who helped to get the machine from the flatcar to the mill site in 1944 was there when it was parted out in the 50's and was able to visit when we dug for parts in 1994. He assured us that the pieces were indeed there.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:15:22 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by george hoffman View Post
Tom Mc Lennan who helped to get the machine from the flatcar to the mill site in 1944 was there when it was parted out in the 50's and was able to visit when we dug for parts in 1994. He assured us that the pieces were indeed there.
Why did they bury the parts?
Old 08-13-2015, 07:48:41 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O'Connell View Post
Why did they bury the parts?
In the 50's Prince George was 500 miles north of Vancouver in the middle of nowhere. There was no value in scrap then and like the prairies all the junk went into the closest slough, ravine, or creek. The first piece we dug up was a rear wheel which is now on Jerred Rubles 36 Rumely. The big differential gear was about 12 feet down buried in old sawdust , lumber and old iron. We turned over about an acre up to 15 feet deep. Just the Differential gear was worth the cost. It was in good condition complete with the 4 spider gears.
Cheers George.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to George Hoffman For This Post:
Old 08-13-2015, 08:14:04 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,293 Times in 731 Posts

That's an interesting story nice to have all that history. Dad was able to get it for out 110 to. Wonder if those parts were burried in the same area some of our 110 parts were. Tom seemed to know the area they were pushed into K-o it was just old junk to get rid of back then. There's lots of stories of mill sights etc being levelled off up here
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Colin For This Post: