Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Jacobsen Snow Jet Snow blower

this thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 2314 times

Old 01-12-2016, 10:37:26 PM
Registered

Default Jacobsen Snow Jet Snow blower

Need info & help

On a 1966 Jacobsen 20" 321 Snow Jet Model 52002-8258

This ? pertains to the governor linkage set up. If you look @ the pictures the link on the "governor arm" looks like it not belongs? The twisted loop looking part on top of the governor arm. The problem is the engine runs beyond the 3,800 RPM Spec, like there is no governor attached to the engine.

I have checked the following 1 (Governor Vane operation works freely, 2) The linkage to the carb is not binding up and moves freely, and Governor Arm & Spring are in working order. I have an original Owners & Parts manual for this machine. I looked & parts manual & it does not show this link on top of the governor control arm with the spring

The 321 engine service manual shows the later governor set up (plastic governor arm & round carb throttle shaft). I took photos before I started any carb cleaning, so this is the way I FOUND IT. Digital camera's are a great tool for stuff like this.

If anyone has 1 these units, & could snap a pic of the governor linkage
that is in working condition, Any input would be much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JACOBSEN 321 05.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	243658   Click image for larger version

Name:	JACOBSEN 321 19.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	243659   Click image for larger version

Name:	JACOBSEN 321 12.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	243660   Click image for larger version

Name:	JACOBSEN SNO JET 321 14.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	243661  
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2016, 08:57:34 AM
Registered-I

Default Re: Jacobsen Snow Jet Snow blower

You may never find what you're looking for ,but you have pictures of the way it's set up now ,so you can always go back.
What you CAN do is use reasoning and install it in a way that makes sense .
First thing you know is the governors job is to close the throttle .
Second is that in lieu of a throttle lever it's the springs job to hold the throttle open,possibly in combo with an actual throttle connection to your hand control .
You have a number of linkage connects on the throttle plate .
You won't ever have a direct connect to the throttle ,otherwise it will defeat the governor 100% of the time

All you can do is work through combos until you hit on it ,it's really not that hard ,and the good news is you can always go back
Old 01-13-2016, 09:09:12 AM
Registered-I

at least you aren't living in the U.p where you'll need that baby most everyday
Here where I am it's basically just damn cold ,with snow.
These old blowers can be fun and most of the time they were built far better than the horse crap you can buy today with exception only to a cpl manufacturers.
I have a 1962 Eska Snoflyte and before that I had a mid 60's bobcat.
Single stage little units ,but daily drivers that actually work awesome !
And same issue as you ,they come to me in varying stages of assembly 😊
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	243680  
Old 01-13-2016, 03:49:53 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,288 Times in 4,063 Posts

Someone has seriously messed with your linkages.

The throttle cable should move the part with the spring looking part on it. The linkage should go from the airvane to the throttle. Another link goes between the spring and the throttle ling, around the loop in the long link.

It works as follows: When put on full, the throttle spring pulls the ling, openning the throttle. As engine speed increases, the air vane pushes against the spring, closing the throttle. This maintains speed on the engin e. With the throttle on full, the choke should be full on. If I get a chance, I will see if I can get a picture of my unit.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:40:39 PM
Registered-I

I see that you also posted this over on the The Snowblower Forum. I couldn't get their diagram to copy from there to here, but the answer text is posted below. It is spot on.

Jacobsen had a unique way of applying spring pressure against an air vane governor. They bent a spring sideways. The throttle lever bent the spring, which varied the resistance to the air vane. The air vane in turn adjusted the throttle position. This means that the entire setup is dependent on having the exact Jacobsen spring to get proper resistance. It looks like you have that, and also your air vane to throttle linkage appears original and correct. You will need to experiment with a new wire linkage between the "bending spring" and the air vane to get the max RPM's right.

ELaw

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 60
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 128

Oh man... I used to have a few of those I fooled around with, but it was 30+ years ago!

Referring to the image below, here's what I think needs to happen:

First, confirm for me the wire marked "A" is attached to the wire that goes between the vane and the throttle plate? If that's not true we may have to rethink this.

Otherwise... right now, linkage wires A, B, and C are all connected together at lever D. Wire C makes lever D move back and forth with the speed control lever, and because everything is connected together, that makes A move too which is connected to the throttle plate. The result being the throttle plate follows the motion of the lever and the governor doesn't do anything.

What I think needs to happen is disconnect wires B and A from lever D and connect them to each other. Edit: looking a little more closely, it appears they are already connected to each other, it's just there's an extra piece of wire connecting them to the top of lever D. So just remove that extra bit of wire.

What should then happen is the lever D will still follow the motion of the speed control lever. But instead of moving the throttle directly, it will apply a bending force to the spring located toward the bottom of the picture. The force from the spring will be transferred to the throttle through wires B and A. The governor will then be able to do its job, where the force on the vane balances out the force from the spring.

Did that make sense?
Attached Thumbnails
Jacobsen 321 powered Snow-Jet-image1-png
Old 01-13-2016, 10:40:54 PM
Registered-I

Tracmac,
Is this the same engine that is on the Jacobsen 16" pacer mower?
I can get pics of the linkages if it is.

TekNik
Old 01-14-2016, 09:42:02 AM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by akuna View Post
Snow blower forum?

Here:
http://www.snowblowerforum.com/
Old 01-14-2016, 02:04:37 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,288 Times in 4,063 Posts

The linkages should be very siminar. from the look of the picture, it seems the end of one of the links has been busted off, and the link bent to make the connection. As is, you have a manual direct throttle - no governor action..
Old 01-14-2016, 04:11:01 PM
Registered-I

When you're putting more time into the solution than the op ,it may be time to apply the brakes.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:12:34 PM
Registered-I

No.........
This forum is where good neighbors help each other out.