Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

MONARCH by "Canadian Engines", Dunnville, Ontario.

this thread has 22 replies and has been viewed 6283 times

Old 07-13-2008, 09:56:14 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,892 Times in 1,689 Posts
Default MONARCH by "Canadian Engines", Dunnville, Ontario.

I was sent info and pictures for the Canadian Engines/Monarch registry. One is of the seldom seen "air cooled" version:
http://buzzcoil.brinkster.net/monarch/page508.html

and the other one is a 5hp Monarch:
http://buzzcoil.brinkster.net/monarch/page509.html

Anyone else has a Canadian and/or Monarch to add to the "Canadian Engines" registry? Thanks! Denis Rouleau
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2008, 07:29:03 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: MONARCH by "Canadian Engines", Dunnville, Ontario.

I'm looking for pictures of the 1-1/2hp or the 2-1/2hp "vertical" Monarch engines built in Dunnville, Ontario. Anyone know of a surviving example? Thanks! Denis Rouleau
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vertical11.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	35969  
Old 07-13-2008, 09:52:20 PM
Subscriber

Sorry about the quality of the copy but here is another interesting "Monarch" built in Dunnville, Ontario.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	twineng11.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	35971  
Old 07-13-2008, 10:52:32 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,512 Times in 1,020 Posts

WOW! I din't know Monarch built opposed engines. I guess I'll have to put that on my wish list also. The trucks look identical to the ones under my 22hp opposed GS&M. I see other similarities. I will send photos in E-mail later. You can post photos here as I have not figured out how to post them.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:42:02 PM
Subscriber

Photo Re: MONARCH by "Canadian Engines", Dunnville, Ontario.

Hey Denis,
Here's a pic of a 1 1/2 hp CANADIAN Monarch upright. Nice cast brass tag. From what I know, these had a glass-centred carb and I reckon they're all broken . I don't know what carb is on this one. Updraft system and doesn't appear to have ever been machined for a fuel pump. Sparkplug and doesn't look like it would have been an ignitor. Of course, these are all similar to the Hildreth, Novo, London, Goold-Shapley-Muir verticals but they all have subtle differences showing they were built in their own factory/foundry. I'm thinking circa 1910. This particular engine was found in Dunnville a couple of years ago. I don't know how many are out there but know of one (bigger) near Cambridge and have heard there may be a couple more but I don't know who has them.

Regards,
Andrew....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MonarchUpright.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	79113   Click image for larger version

Name:	DunnvilleMonarchUPRIGHT-tag.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	79114   Click image for larger version

Name:	MonarchUpright4.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	79115  
Old 05-16-2010, 11:24:30 AM
Edwin

Andrew, thats a very sweet engine you have there,I've never seen one like it.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:55:30 AM
Subscriber

Andrew, I've added your vertical Dunnville built engine to the registry:
http://buzzcoil.brinkster.net/monarch/page501.html

Evidently a pre-August 1912 engine when the company was still known as Canadian-American Gas & Gasoline Engine Co.

Denis Rouleau

Last edited by Denis Rouleau; 05-16-2010 at 01:03:51 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:32:00 PM
Subscriber

Thanks Denis. I hope someone else comes forward with any info on other verticals out there. It's looking like there's not alot of them to be had. Unfortunately, they would be overlooked if a tag was missing as everyone would assume they're just a Novo or something. Some obvious things to start looking for are the ignitor boss set-up. Even if it has a factory plate for a sparkplug, the casting will take an ignitor. It has not been machined for a fuel pump. There is a boss on the bottom of the cylinder that is drilled for bolts on other verticals to take the fuel pump; mine is flat/untouched. It would appear these Canadians were always built to take the updraft carb. You will notice how the bottom of the base for the cast in fuel tank only has two holes, for sucking fuel and filling the tank. Others have three to fill, pump and return. These are amazingly similar to the earliest round-hopper GSM's and I wonder if the part numbers are similar too ?

And Edwin....yeah, it is a sweet engine . Of course, you'd be welcome to touch it if you ever came to visit !

-Andrew....
Old 05-16-2010, 02:25:31 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,472 Times in 808 Posts

I have a Monarch Engineering company well pump from Dayton Ohio, was this the same company or a branch of the same company that made the engines?
Old 05-16-2010, 06:26:26 PM
Subscriber

Hey JK,
I don't believe there is any connection. The actual company was Canadian-American Gas Engine Co. Ltd. which changed to Canadian Engines Ltd. in 1912. Monarch was a trade name. I think the factory burned down by 1923. Dunnville,Ontario is one of those towns built on the Grand River which travels for miles down some well-known manufacturing areas up here like the Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge area through Paris and Brantford (can you say Massey-Harris and GSM) down into Lake Erie. There was a Monarch Knitting factory too and now I think the biggest thing going there is the Bicks Pickle Plant (Smuckers now I guess). They've got a giant sculpture of a Mudcat parked at the end of town as you come in, which they recently unveiled. At one time, I think the area was well-known for the migration of Monarch butterflies which is where the name may have originated for many businesses in the area ??
Myself, I travel to Dunnville every Monday with work making deliveries. I have yet to see any Monarch engines for sale at the end of a driveway ...but here's to dreaming !

-Andrew....