Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs Discussion about magnetos, buzz coils, spark plugs, ignitors and low tension coils.

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs

Splitdorf Coil

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 3741 times

Old 03-09-2009, 11:59:39 AM
Registered-III

Photo Splitdorf Coil

Hi I just dug this out of a Barn and I am hoping that some of you on this site could give me some insight on it the only markings i can find is the word Splitdorf on it.

Thank you for any help....Jerry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_2784.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	50187   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_2785.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	50188   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_2786.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	50189  
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2009, 06:14:00 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 7,897 Times in 2,967 Posts
Default Re: Splitdorf Coil

Splitdorf made buzz coils (and others I think) for early cars, trucks and tractors. My guess is that it's from an early two cylinder car........Buick, Rambler, Cadillac, etc.

Take care - Elden
http://www.oldengine.org/members/durand/
Old 03-09-2009, 06:43:00 PM
Registered-III

Elden Thank you for the Information, that will give me a place to start. Thanks again Jerry
Old 10-07-2014, 09:00:28 PM
Registered

Jerry,
I just saw the photos of the splitdorf buzzer coils. I am restoring a 1908 Maxwell which uses splitdorf coils similar to the ones you found.
If you are interested in selling them please contact me.
Charlie Sorensen
Old 10-13-2014, 11:22:54 PM
Registered-I

I might be able to help you know how to wire it. The 2 large terminals at the bottom had some screw on High Voltage Insulators that kept the spark plug wires from arcing to the other 2 connections and to the people. Those 2 are the spark plug connections but you probably guessed that. At the top of the assembly you can see the long metal strap that is joining the 2 coils. That is the common battery connection that is probably connected to the center of the switch. That center switch knob is probably a removable key that kills the battery path when it is not plugged in. The center position of the switch shuts off the coil box while the left and right positions select either BATTERY A or BATTERY B which are the 2 battery banks that you had when the car had no ignition other than batteries. The bottom connections that are smaller are either the 2 timer connections or the BATTERY A and BATTERY B connections. I suspect they are the battery connections. You didn't show a picture of the back panel but I am betting there are some angular holes drilled through the back panel near the top that connect to the 2 separate coil connections and I think THOSE are the timer wire connections for the 2 cylinder car that this came from. Thus there would typically be 6 connections namely 2 spark plug wires, 2 timer wires, and 2 battery wires. Show a picture of the back panel and/or look for small holes through it that are near those 2 remaining coil connections are are NOT jumpered from coil to coil.