Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

Where can I purchase exhaust/intake valves by size?

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 7757 times

Old 08-05-2009, 08:21:03 PM
Registered-III

Default Where can I purchase exhaust/intake valves by size?

I am in need of locating a supplier that can match up replacement valves by actual dimensions, not by engine model. I have searched for Fuller & Johnson engine parts for my Western Electric model 15B generator and have had no luck. So far I have been able to repair most of the broken parts but need to replace (1) exhaust valve. I would appreciate any input as to where to start.

Thanks in advance!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2009, 08:48:14 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,822 Times in 1,085 Posts
Default Re: Where can I purchase exhaust/intake valves by size?

If you have a NAPA store in your area. Measure the head Dia. , stem Dia, and length and contact them and ask them to look in their valve book and see if anything there comes close to what you're looking for. Also the way the valve locks to the spring. You'd be supprised what you may find.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:00:30 PM
Registered-III

Thank you very much....always suprised at the help fellow engine collectors are willing to give!!!!

Thanks again!!
Old 08-05-2009, 09:11:39 PM
Registered-III

I think what is being refered to is the NAPA parts spec book. They were issued in the 1990' and many valves have been made obsole and new ones addes which are mostly smaller in size. Do you have dimensions for your valve. I have at least 2 of brands of valve catalogs?
Old 08-05-2009, 11:10:59 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,208 Times in 945 Posts

Looking at an old valve catalog, it has columns for Head size, Stem length, dimensions for Stem end (.247-.250-1/4 to .809-.812-13/16 in 14 graduations) and keeper variation: slot, groove, hole, groove and hole,threads, hollow threaded, slot and hole...Fun!!
Old 08-07-2009, 04:18:27 PM
Registered-III

Thank you everyone!! I have located replacement valves at ACME. FIY. If you get onto www.melling.com you click on "dividions" then "engine auto parts" and then click on "catalog" you get a drop down list of their individual catalogs....about 12 listings down you will find "valve progressive size chart" You can download this and it will give you all the sizes of valves sorted by head diameter. I was able to locate the exact replacement valve for my Fuller & Johnson. The only modification I will have to make is to drill the retainer hole in the stem. Hope this helps anyone else.

Again, Thanks to all who responded!!!!!

M. Breen
The Following User Says Thank You to MBreen254 For This Post: