Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion > Unidentified Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Unidentified Engines Post your photos and questions about your unknown engine and look for answers here.

Unidentified Engines

Unknown Engine on orchard sprayer

this thread has 15 replies and has been viewed 2210 times

Old 11-02-2011, 06:56:53 PM
Registered-III

Default Unknown Engine on orchard sprayer

Came across this engine and orchard sprayer. I am wonder if you all can tell me what it is. The engine, sprayer, and pump all are complete. I couldn't get the flywheels to move but I don't know if the engine or pump is locked up. All the chains where still hooked up. Engine has been covered up. The crankshaft cover is still on the engine too. I have a chance to buy this but not sure if it is worth the risk. Any info you all can give me will be great. Thanks in advance for all your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	misc 151.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	119987   Click image for larger version

Name:	misc 152.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	119988  
The Following User Says Thank You to fortvlly For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2011, 07:47:32 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Unknown Engine on orchard sprayer

Hercules engine, probably a 1.5hp
Old 11-02-2011, 08:18:58 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,826 Times in 1,088 Posts

I second the motion. Hercules
Old 11-02-2011, 08:20:43 PM
Subscriber

Looks like a Hercules engine to me.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:36:08 PM
speleausmining

Its a hurc built engine. In that kind of shape I would go for it unless the asking price is way out there. Even traces of the decal on the side of the water hopper. If its been covered i doubt the engine is badly stuck. The pump might be badly stuck but the engine shouldent be. It looks complete, and undamaged and theres got to be some original paint hiding under the crud as the decal has survived. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:53:33 PM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,937 Times in 1,172 Posts

It's a hercules.
Please don't go yanking on the flywheels until you make sure the exhaust valve isn't stuck. Otherwise, you'll break the rocker arm or the head trying to force something, and you won't even realize it until you hear the sickening sound of cast iron snapping.
You'll have no problem finding any part you need for that thing. Looks like it's complete, but you can easily lay down a couple hundred in springs, rings, gaskets, fuel tank, valves, valve grinding wrist pin bushing, wrist pin, connecting rod bearing, oiler glass, etc... OR the tank may be able to be sealed/ repaired (it's very likely got pin holes at least) and a little lapping of the valves and make your own gaskets, you might get by cheaply.
They're a good engine, and one of the most popular ones of their day, they sold TONS of them. Every day. Kevin
Old 11-02-2011, 09:01:11 PM
Registered-III

The engine is complete from what I can tell. The oiler is there as well as the cover over the crankshaft and there is a cover on the water tank. I moved the valves with my hands and they moved really easy. Thanks a lot for all the info. Oh and also the sprayer tank is complete and in great shape. Be willing to bet that the old wooden tank will still hold water.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:33:12 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,994 Times in 1,314 Posts

fortvilly,
I think what you have is a Hercules built ARCO model GH. Looks like a Lunkenheimer mixer instead of the Hercules J mixer & many ARCO sprayer engines had a tin crankcase cover to keep the leaves out. Be interesting to see what tag says. At least some ARCOs had Hercules decal & were originally painted a grayish-blue. Also your mag trip & rocker are different from normal. Go to Keith Kinney's site & look thru Glenn Karch's "Hercules News" reprints from GEM. I think you'll find the answer in several of Glenn's articles on ARCOs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doug Kimball For This Post:
Old 11-02-2011, 09:48:44 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,689 Posts

Doug,
What's different about the mag trip and rocker? Looks like the normal stuff to me. What do you see that I don't?

The odd thing I noticed is that it has the later style flywheel rims, but the fuel filler is piped over from the off side of the engine. According to Glenn Karch, the fuel filler should have already been relocated to an opening on the mag side of the engine by the time the flywheel rims were changed.

Check out my engine videos at https://m.youtube.com/user/Cletrac
SmokStak member #146
Old 11-02-2011, 09:57:42 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,994 Times in 1,314 Posts

Mike,
The mag rocker looks different to me in the fairly poor photo. The clamp on the trip also looks a little different & I'm wondering if it has the patent date on it. Glenn explains it pretty well in one of those reprints.

Looked a little closer at second photo and the rocker does look typical ... just the way a shadow fell in 1st photo. With the Lunk & cc cover I'm still saying ARCO.

Last edited by Doug Kimball; 11-02-2011 at 10:09:19 PM.