Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

Aircraft Generator No Output!

this thread has 25 replies and has been viewed 6396 times

Old 01-03-2008, 07:40:54 PM
Registered-II

Default Aircraft Generator No Output!

Well I have an old 140 amp Aircraft Generator I want to use as a welder. It is rated for operation from 2200 to 4400 rpm. I am running it direct drive at 3200 rpm off of a Wisconsin AEH. And yes its turning the right direction by looking at the brushes, it turns with them, not against them. I cannot get any output. While running I've tried flashing it across the exciter terminals only getting a few sparks. Flashing across the two main terminals seems to put some load on it and the engine bogs down a bit, but no output once again. I've been flashing it with a 70 amp 12 volt charger. I figured it would be enough even though the generator is 24 volts. One of the exciter terminals is hooked up to one of the main terminals as it said in the instructions that came with it. I dunno what else to try, except to belt it up to the engine and spin it faster. However I thought I would get something at 3200 rpm.

Any Ideas?? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2008, 03:25:03 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 2,166 Times in 760 Posts
Default Re: Aircraft Generator No Output!

What connections do you have on the generator?

If you can let us know what you have, then we could make a start on trying to resolve the problem.

Most generators are shunt or series wound, compound-wound stuff is relatively rare, but the connections should give the story.

Putting power into the generator will certainly act as a load on the engine, suggesting that it may be a shunt-wound item, but if you have terminals marked "Exciter" then it may be different.

Peter
Old 01-04-2008, 10:19:24 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 1,197 Times in 1,059 Posts

I take it that you have a reostat connecting the field to ground. I have a Delco P-1, 200 amp, ex B-17 I am told. I had little luck getting it to generate.

Kent
Old 01-04-2008, 11:24:20 AM
Sponsor

first some load, old headlights ?
with out a load a series field is not functioning
then try flashing
Old 01-04-2008, 01:25:54 PM
Registered-II

there are four connections on it. Two big ones I have my welding lead connectors attached to, and two smaller ones which I thought was the "exciter" terminals. But thats just my assumption, nothing is labeled. One of the smaller terminals is connected to the + bigger one.

I guess hooking up a couple old headlights would do to act as a load, should I be flashing across the smaller terminals, or the larger ones?

Thanks to all so far.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:29:54 PM
Registered-II

oh, and I have no roestat on it, not sure how to hook one up from field to ground either, ground being the actual case?
Old 01-04-2008, 04:50:49 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,280 Times in 834 Posts

get your meter, measure the resistance from all 4 termanals to each other, and to ground, and post the results...i am guessing that the two big should have some resistance, and the two little should have some, but every thing else will show open circuit

Rob
Old 01-04-2008, 11:03:41 PM
Registered-III

Aloha,
I remember an article like that and that generator had 4 terminals. Terminal E was strapped to D and E went to the negative cable. Terminal B went to the plus cable and terminal A was connected to B with a rheostat. It looks like you have to have a connection from A to B to excite the generator. Hope this helps.

Mahalo,
doogdoog
Old 01-05-2008, 01:44:22 AM
Registered-II

after playing around with it tonight I've made some progress, but its still not generating correctly. I first tried flashing it with 2 headlights hooked up across B and E (Doogdoog's description is correct with the exception of D and E being connected). Nothing happend beside the engine bogging down a little. I removed the connector between A and B and tried again and it burnt out the headlight after about 1 second. But it was now generating 1.5 volts on its own! Shorting out B and E resulted in very minor sparks, not welding current at all. I tried reconecting the smaller terminals one at a time and together but no change. So once again I hooked up the battery charger to the smaller terminals like when flashing it, then with a screw driver shorted out B and E and....it melted the screwdriver and left some black burn marks on the terminals. I thought ok, its got welding current now. But after removing the charger it lost its power, and was only producing very minor sparks at 1.5 v. Sooo, I dunno what to try next. My thoughts are I need a high wattage resistor capable of handling 140 amps across B and E to be able to flash it, as it seems like the current just blew the headlights.

I did measure the resistance between all the terminals, and it is as follows. A - B 25 Ohms, B - E 3 Ohms, B - D 3 Ohms, D - A 25 Ohms, E - A 25 Ohms, E - D 3 Ohms.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:59:28 AM
Registered-III

Aloha,
It seems to me that E and B are the output of the generator and E is the other end of A (not sure). According to the drawing that I saw on this type of generator, E and B are the output which goes to the welding leads. I guess you proved that when it melted your screwdriver. With all the jumpers or leads disconnected (only bare terminals) are these the reading you measured or is it different?
"I did measure the resistance between all the terminals, and it is as follows. A - B 25 Ohms, B - E 3 Ohms, B - D 3 Ohms, D - A 25 Ohms, E - A 25 Ohms, E - D 3 Ohms."
I would try adding a jumper between E and D and measure the output out of E and B without anything connected between A and B first (use a test meter and not a screwdriver!!) It looks like if the jumper is removed between E and D, D is left open so no exciter current and by using your charger on A and D, you excited the exciter so you got welding current out of E and B.

Mahalo,
doogdoog

Last edited by Doogdoog; 01-05-2008 at 02:10:48 AM.