Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Computer, Camera and ISP Problems
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems Solutions for accessing and using the SmokStak® boards. Posting pictures, preventing viruses and solving internet service provider problems.

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems

Odd Problem, Windows 6.1.7601

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 1206 times

Old 01-15-2017, 06:47:14 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,823 Times in 2,963 Posts
Default Odd Problem, Windows 6.1.7601

This has happened three times so far, about three weeks apart.

I come in to check mail, Smokstak, etc. in the morning and go to email (Thunderbird). No internet connection. Reset DSL modem. No change.

Go to browser (Firefox). Again no internet connection.

Close and re-open both. No change.

Now, it gets weird. Try to shut down Windoze. Nothing happens for several minutes, then desktop disappears and screen goes blank. After that, nothing happens for at least an hour (when I give-up). Cursor is still working and moving. Hard drive occasionally blips during this time but it is probably firmware housekeeping.

Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn't do anything. Hard reset doesn't do anything. The only thing that works is to turn the power off and back on. Comes back with the Safe Mode prompt then boots normally and works fine until the next incident.

I am running regular Malware Bytes and Avast scans and they turn up nothing. I am careful to never open attachments from unknown users or attachments from any odd emails.

Since I cannot get into Windows Explorer at these times, I can't see if any oddball Applications or Processes are running.

What's going on here? Does anyone know?

Take care - Elden
http://www.eldensengines.com
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2017, 08:50:06 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,730 Times in 2,258 Posts
Default Re: Odd Problem, Windows 6.1.7601

Same mwb and avast scans I would do. Maybe start over and reload Windows as something seems to be corrupted. Drastic yes but sit back and see who else chimes in.
The Following User Says Thank You to I like oldstuff For This Post:
Old 01-15-2017, 09:12:27 AM
Subscriber

Thumbs up Re: Odd Problem, Windows 6.1.7601

I think your system is infected with some thing. Try getting rid of your copy of malware bytes and reloading it. Then run and see if you find some thing. This has worked for me in the past. You can also try downloading Microsoft essentials anti virus and run that to see if you can find some thing. Essentials is free and has worked well for me in the past. Just my two cents, as you may have a different problem that I am not aware of. This might or might not be easyer than reloading windows. You might end up reloading windows if it is corrupted bad enough. Hope you can get it fixed.

Al
Old 01-15-2017, 11:02:02 AM
Lead Head

Run a hard disk SMART scan. Usually extended periods of the system doing "nothing" indicates hardware issues.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:22:29 PM
Administrator

Thanked 12,220 Times in 2,109 Posts

Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore

This utility will let you look at the previous backup list and hopefully choose one before the stuff hit the fan.

Walk carefully!
Old 01-15-2017, 03:39:12 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,807 Times in 1,657 Posts

Hey Elden- Sounds like your computer got the flu. Whenever this happens, first thing I tell people is to disconnect from internet until problem is resolved. This prevents your machine from being used to spread their garbage.

Time for some changes.

Try to do a system restore as Harry suggested.
Download IOBIT uninstaller (free) and look at what is installed, including toolbars. get rid of anything you do not use.

Download and run Spybot anti beacon. This will reduce possible data mining and spyware using your machine.

Download and run Super Anti Spyware. Run this every week or so to clean up stuff Malaware and Avast miss. I find Advanced System Care 10 to be a good too.
Everything above is free.

Microsoft security essentials is a good tool to have.

If yo have more than one antivirus/ spyware/ malware program on the system, all but one should be set to only run on demand. auto running 2 programs simultaneously can cause conflicts.

I hit Ctrl Alt Del at the first sign of trouble, and keep task manager running in the background so I can see what is going on, end task any malware before removing it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Power For This Post:
Old 01-15-2017, 04:27:10 PM
Registered-I

I've seen that several times over the years. I've had computers which had those exact symptoms.

Windoze has a long history of a problem called "creeping DLL incompatibility". Rather than shutting down, it will sit... and sit... and sit. I've had a few computers which would never shut down unless you pulled the plug (until Windows got reloaded).

Sometimes you can use the special Windoze software and find/fix the problem, often only a complete reinstall will fix it with hours worth of updates on top of that (and then you have to watch out for it again).

Also, another biggie is not defragging your hard drive. That will introduce all sorts of headaches over time... including creeping DLL incompatibility. You should be defragging at least weekly. (Maybe the newer versions don't have that problem - the newest I have is W7 (reluctantly) and I run Linux- which you don't need to defrag.)

I have seen -once or twice- computers that had a virus which mimicked the problem you described. However, the drive flashed a bit more than once in a while, and if you have a ethernet jack with an activity indicator, its would be flashing a lot. There is a linux-based boot CD you can download and make, that roots just about everything 'bad' out of a Windows machine. It's also rock-resistant to viruses. I've used that to kill some of the really bad infections (my MIL was addicted to "cutesy" and online hoaxes, and would open any attachment that supposedly came from a relative or friend). We couldn't break her of her addiction, so I had to clean house on their computer every month or two.

I hope this is helpful!
The Following User Says Thank You to Archaeometrist For This Post:
Old 01-15-2017, 08:32:30 PM
Subscriber

Thanks, guys! I'm going to defrag the drive first. Then I'll run through the other suggested programs and will report what I find.

I'm a little reluctant to do a System Restore because my 1TB drive only has about 200 Gigs free. I need to do some house cleaning!

Take care - Elden
Old 01-20-2017, 05:41:04 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaeometrist View Post
I've used that to kill some of the really bad infections (my MIL was addicted to "cutesy" and online hoaxes, and would open any attachment that supposedly came from a relative or friend). We couldn't break her of her addiction, so I had to clean house on their computer every month or two.

I hope this is helpful!
why didnt you just load linux mint on her machine and leave her with that? My Mom does the same thing and i was cleaning $hit off every month so I set her up with the latest distro of linux mint. i set the admin password to something she doesnt know so she cant make it install anything. i couldnt talk her out of the clickbait facebook posts so i had to do something about it.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:05:08 PM
Subscriber

Well, I've defragged the drive after removing several backups.

Thought I had it fixed but it did it again. I may have a clue now because it always did that trick when I had a YouTube video paused for a few hours.

Lately, I've been leaving everything up as usual when leaving it for a while with the exception of YouTube. So far, no hiccups.

THEN, I got a bug to up my RAM from 4GB to 8GB to try to speed editing videos. BIOS sees the 8GB but Windoze does not. THEN I was told that I needed the 64 bit version of Win 7 Deluxe Home Edition. After doing a little homework, I've decided to think on it.

At this time, I'm not too keen on doing the mod of the files to remove whatever it is that is keeping the install from going to 64 bit then restoring the whole sheebang.

Is there any simple way to swap up to 64 bit?

Even though I started in Pee Cees way back in the CP/M days, I've sorta been left in the dust with this-here Winders stuff.

Take care - Elden