Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Autolite Starter

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 2206 times

Old 08-07-2013, 08:28:03 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 27,571 Times in 6,938 Posts
Default Autolite Starter

A friend just bought a Huber road roller. He is looking for an Autolite model GBU-4214 starter. Does anyone know anyone who supplies these or parts?
I don't know anything about the unit. It is a 6 cylinder gasoline motor, possibly a Buda.
Thanks for any help.
RM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2013, 01:05:05 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,201 Times in 940 Posts
Default Re: Autolite Starter

I'm assuming this starter is obsolete/NLA thru the usual local sources, that you've already checked the better known sources and that the existing starter is past rebuilding; that said:
(1) the "Parts and Services" list of suppliers of obsolete parts etc that was formerly on aths has been moved to justoldtrucks.com, under something like vendors services or similar (if I go back to look I have to re-do this post!). Under the engines section or maybe it was an electrical section there's a couple starter-generator etc outfits you may not've checked...
(2) you might try Jason at Advanced Electrical Rebuilders (arrebuild.com; jason@aerrebuild.com), who might have suggestions as to sources if this is out of his line...
(3) with an industrial engine there's always the possibility another starter may be usable by using the existing drive gear, if one exists, or possibly even as is...ID'g and posting for a starter for the X engine might turn up more possibilities...what little I have on the Rollers shows Hercs and Cont'ls, which'd probably be easier to find starters for than a Buda...
The Following User Says Thank You to Bud Tierney For This Post:
Old 08-08-2013, 01:45:13 PM
Banner Sponsor

That appears to be a generator which should be easier to substitute for than a starter. You probably won't find that exact generator. I show it on a Hercules QXB5 engine in Bucyrus equip. If you've got the generator it can probably be rebuilt. You didn't specify what Huber so I can't be much help if you need the starter. Good luck.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:45:03 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,295 Times in 348 Posts

If it is a Buda engine it could very well be the same starter as a Cockshutt 30,40,50.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wayne Riedlinger For This Post:
Old 08-10-2013, 09:44:11 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 27,571 Times in 6,938 Posts

Owner called this evening and has determined it is a Hercules motor but can't find model number. He is just beginning to pull it apart. It is a 5t Huber roller. That is all I know about it.
Thanks for the help.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:04:27 AM
Registered-III

O. K. Huber used a QX Hercules on some other equipment. Look on the engine block on the side opposite the manifold. There should be a flat milled spot near the top/center of the block. Hercules would have stamped the model on the engine (3 or 4 letters) and the serial number in this area. It could also be a JX engine as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to John Schwiebert For This Post: