Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Welding Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Welding Shop Welder generators, equipment, weld practice, techniques, troubles and solutions. See our TERMS of SERVICE prior to reading!

Welding Shop

road grader blade

this thread has 44 replies and has been viewed 10500 times

Old 01-20-2012, 08:15:45 PM
Registered

Default Re: road grader blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick62 View Post
yea, whatever. there are not a lot of options here.

Wow.........................I am only thinking of your safety and those that will be possibly be around while you are operating this machine........you will sure feel like a jerk if someone gets hurt. P.S. Heins i neve said you can't weld it with 7018, I said I would not use it, because its not the best to weld high carbon steel. Sorry for having an opinion based on what I have learned from a journeymans welder that has been welding for 40 years.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2012, 12:18:14 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,283 Times in 703 Posts

Patrick62, If you try to use the grader blades for forks, I wouldn't weld them on because they would break where you weld them. You could have a flat piece of metal about 1/2 X 4" welded vertically to the bottom of where you would mount your bucket. Cut two slots the size of the blade so you can put one blade in each slot. Slide one blade in each slot about 1' and mount something to keep the end of the blade from coming up. The other end could stick out about 4'. I don't think it would take that much to handle logs.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:35:08 PM
Registered

I will construct a "socket" system for the forks. I like that idea
I checked the woodweb and found a calculator for the weight of logs. I entered the craziest I could possibly try. 20 feet long and 24" on one end 18" on the other end. It came up with 2047 pounds. More than I thought
I'll use juicy fruit gum instead of double sided sticky foam tape

I am only thinking of your safety and those that will be possibly be around while you are operating this machine

I will be the first to casually mention that logging isn't safe. In my operation everything has it's risk factor. Chainsaws... log splitter... dump trucks.... For that very reason everyone who works for me is a sub contractor. We do this because we like turning sweat into cash. The splitter for instance was made by me. The beam for example bent a little to much to make me happy, I had to add more steel to both sides to stiffen it up a bit. The 5 inch cylinder at 2250 is slightly over 44,000 pounds and I have seen it stalled. Nothing broke. Safe? Hardly.

I will build this loader and I will immediately try and break it. If I can't break it easily then it might be okay. Would I turn it loose upon the crew? Nope. if someone shows common sense and a mechanical aptitude I might train them to use the thing.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:07:46 PM
Registered

Out in the yard now.

Sitting on blocks.

Now... I gotta get in there, clean up the place a bit. And start the grind out on the used 7 inch channel to make a NEW frame with. Oh boy.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:53:16 PM
Registered

Smile Re: road grader blade

Pre and post heating will help but there are a lot better things to make your project out of that Grader blade. 80 or 9018 will work better but not without pre and post heating. Grader blade is extremely hard, made for abrasion resistance not supportive strength. having said that it is possible to use it for fabrication.