Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Wisconsin Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Wisconsin Engines Single cylinder up to V4 engines.

Wisconsin Engines

Wisconsin TFD, TJD, THD, TGD what makes them different? some other questions.

this thread has 30 replies and has been viewed 9064 times

Old 06-12-2014, 10:40:36 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,948 Times in 2,481 Posts
Default Re: Wisconsin TFD, TJD, THD, TGD what makes them different? some other questions.

They are good engines, this manual is for the THD on the Lincoln 180 welder, I have NO idea of how many hours it has on it, a BUNCH, but dad maintained stuff religisly on the oil changes, he bought it NEW in 1963, why I wear glasses and heridity , you can't tell a 3-5 yr old not watch his Dad weld something while holding stuff, so he could tack it. Seen some wild welding , they put 2 old car hoods together and made 2 boats one time, and run out of welding rods , uncle went to his truck and came back with some of the old clothes hangers from work, the thick ones, to finish up one night, seen it run almost all night before making a camping trailer, that we would go to Yellowstone and out west all over the place when a young kid ...... I noticed in the manual to, about the fuel, stating to use fuel with the least amount of lead in it, which I thought was weird , so unleaded fuel must not hurt these , alcohol will mess with the old diaprhams and carb, which I think you found out.....
Old 06-13-2014, 08:54:06 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,282 Times in 702 Posts
Default Re: Wisconsin TFD, TJD, THD, TGD what makes them different? some other questions.

Steamfan, you may have the timing just right. I would like to see you try it before you change it. I checked one engine of mine and it snaps at TDC. One tooth on the mag will retart it quiet a bit.
When you crank it, hold the crank with your thumb wrapped around the handle the same way so if it does kick back it won't break your thumb.
When you crank it, just pull up one half turn. Position the flywheel so the mag impulses in that half turn. You could mark the flywheel with chalk if that would help.
The Following User Says Thank You to Heins For This Post:
Old 06-14-2014, 09:34:42 PM
Registered

Haven't had a chance to do any work the last couple days.

A junkyard I frequent, I dug out a two cylinder Wisconsin of which was complete but stuck and in rough shape so I was skeptical of the carb being any good especially since the intake was busted and the intake was solid rust, however I was amazed when I opened it up to find a PERFECT inside no evidence of pitting even, it looked like it has some kind of liner of which I thought was grime but it wasn't. Either way I will be buying the carb and the intake and hopefully the Wico mag on it. Maybe some other parts as time goes on. Being the carb was so good I may consider the fuel pump too.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:07:16 PM
Registered

Grab the fuel pump. They don't last forever. I had to buy one for my TE engine, cost me twice what I paid for the engine. That is why you often see these engines with the fuel tank mounted above the engine to gravity feed.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:40:02 PM
Registered

I was able to get the fuel pump, intake with air cleaner, carb, and mag for $15 bucks today so I brought the parts out to my engine and figured I would try and start it still no luck, even with gas in the cylinders I can not get it to take off. I pulled the top inspection cover and to try a more thourough compression test and discovered a mouse nest with residents and gave them a very fast eviction

I pulled both plugs and checked the compression I could feel it push on my thumb but I seemed to have some vacuum possibly as my thumb had a good seal. Is that normal?

If it is I may try advancing the spark by a tooth it looks like it could be impulsing just a moment before TDC.

Can't wait to have the "new" carb hooked up and the fuel pump inspected, the pump looked like it was used up until the engine was no longer used so I'm hopeful that it will be operational. Thanks all for your input so far!
Old 06-16-2014, 11:32:42 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,282 Times in 702 Posts

If your mag is impulses before TDC, don't advance it any more and if it kicks the crank back, retard it one tooth.

The engine will have a vacuum when you turn it past TDC and turn it down the power stroke. When you check for compression, you can tell when it is TDC, start your test 1/2 turn before TDC and stop just past TDC.

Don't put gas in the cylinder, it will short the plugs out. Squirt some gas in the intake of the carb when you try to start it.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:19:48 PM
Registered

Well, the Wisconsin has won....for now. She is firing pretty good but not running and a new problem has arose, it is beginning to act "stuck" in fact I left it overnight and came in the next day and I just about couldn't turn it over, so I may have to look into the oil pump, and pulling the base off to see if any damage has happened to the bearings or connecting rods.

I'm so close to getting it but everytime I think I get it something new happens just glad it decided to do it while I was trying to start it and not when it was running
Old 01-03-2015, 10:23:56 PM
Registered

Any news on this? Mine stuck today after moving it. I found the crank gear and the cam gear had a couple broken teeth. There was some debris where the gears are, I think I may have tried to "power" through the stuckness maybe causing the gears to "slap". I'm thinking of running it like it is an hope for the best.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:10:01 PM
Registered

I haven't tried anything with it lately. going to oil the cylinders then try again. I personally wouldn't try running it with broken teeth if it hits just right it'll be like my friends Ford Model A with broken teeth in the rear end they hit just right then BAM seized up tight.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:18:26 PM
Registered

Agreed. I did a compression check a while back and she leaks down like a sive.

I was pretty disgusted with it and gave it a rest. Shes still sitting in the middle of my pops garage.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:48:48 AM
Subscriber

I think these were common to stick valves and forcing them past a stuck valve breaks the timing gear or the cam itself.
The Following User Says Thank You to Doug Tallman For This Post: