Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

will your kin treasure your junque or take ye treasure

this thread has 39 replies and has been viewed 3311 times

Old 05-02-2016, 10:34:26 PM
Registered

Default will your kin treasure your junque or take ye treasure

Money grubbing family or, too rich to care, its just dads junk. Sunday I was at a show (sellen chainsaws and meat grinders) this yung pup comes up and says he's got a shed full of chainsaws he was getting ready to load up in a dumpster to go to the scrapyard. He started asken me questions about my wares and assumed I was an expert as he looked over the 40 plus chain saws on the trailer I stopped him and explained that I didn't know a dam thing about chainsaws I just raised my hand at the right time. He wanted to know how well they sold I told him it was 6:00 AM and the first time out I hadn't sold any yet. He then said he would have more fun clawing his way through the building with the grapple bucket on the loader filling scrap containers than ever trying to sell them. Come to find out his dad had repaired lawn mowers ect. for 60+ years and had built small pallet sheds all over the 15 acre bone yard and placed odd balls and jewels in them. The word is 17 container loads of crushed lawn mowers so far at 60 a ton he is feeling good that scrap should be up to 80 a ton by the time they get done this month. He wont even discuss showing anyone let alone selling anything. I am sure this is what his dad had in mind, when it was passed along to the kids.

---------- Post added at 09:34:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14:48 PM ----------

My son and I went to an auction south of here about a month ago, The ol boy was quite creative, building and running a saw mill with a little tool shop business, I'm guessing he had operated it for many years until the developers built around him. Once the ol boy stopped breathin the family shovelled everything, tools, parts, jigs and all into crates and Gaylords sorting nothing at least 80 to 100 crates 3'X3'x3'. The family held the auction thinking scrappers were going to bid each other to pieces, the few scrappers that showed up just talked out their strategy and bought it at a song, you could hear the family bitchen behind the bidders about how cheap stuff was going and how much it cost to stage the sale. I am sure this is what dad wanted!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2016, 10:48:38 PM
Registered

Default Re: will your kin treasure your junque or take ye treasure

That's just a sin. To work a life time collecting and saving all for the scrap heap Wow, that's a sad story.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:48:56 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,994 Times in 1,994 Posts

Man, that really is something. Just when I think I have finally figured out just what morons the average human beings really are, I am forced to reevaluate. Downward lol.

Hanging out on forums like this where people think and do can lull one into the false sense that we're all "average" here. But that is DEFINITELY not the case.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:08:03 AM
Registered

My Dad had a rather large tool box full of pennies all wheat ones. Each roll was marked by year and by any mint mark. So what does my brother do starts taking them to the bank 100 rolls at a time. All he got was face value. If he had taken the time to research the dates and mint marks would have easily doubled the money. When he told me what he had done I didn't know wether or not to laugh or cry. My dad spent years saving all those pennies and while not the family fortune would have been a nice chunk of change had he done some research. Mom had told me about the box and said take what you want so now I have a 50 BMG ammo can full of wheaties. Frank
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank46 For This Post:
Old 05-03-2016, 06:10:15 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 7,767 Times in 2,942 Posts

I had a friend who worked beside his house repairing lawn mowers, garden tractors, etc.

His wife insisted on his keeping his stuff on one side of the property, away from the house, which was nice with flower gardens and grass. His side was very similar to a junkyard because he never got rid of anything.

I would occasionally go there to pick parts or just BS and sometimes his wife joined us. They got along well but she always looked down her nose at his "unsightly" stuff. She toleratd it fine and had a good attitude about it as long as there were no illegal "border crossings".

She also told him that, when he died, she'd have the scrap man there as soon as he was in the ground. He said he was fine with that, he'd be dead and it wouldn't matter to him.

Sure enough, he died and within a week, there was a big sale and a week later it was all gone, some good pieces sold to collectors but most of it was loaded onto the scrappers trucks.

I couldn't argue with her method of disposing of his stuff because he was all right with it.

If I don't sell off my stuff beforehand; when I croak, I don't expect my wife to wait long before clearing out the garage. I'm all right with that, too. After all, I'll be dead and it won't matter what happens to my precious possessions.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elden DuRand For This Post:
Old 05-03-2016, 07:36:27 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,715 Times in 846 Posts

Not sure what would happen with my stuff, when I leave this world, but I'm sure my wife will make her fair share off the scrap man. She knows that my Gibson tractor has some value so I think she'll sell that, my tools will, probably be either given to my friends or sold on a sale. The rest? Who knows? Won't be for me to worry about.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:56:52 AM
Subscriber

I have several hobbies that are of no interest to any of my family (I don't fault them for that at all) and I'd hate to burden them with a bunch of stuff they don't understand and that has absolutely no meaning to them..so...there are several "lists" in my "last wishes" envelope along with where stuff is and what to do when I die...each list names a friend's name and gives a detail of what that friend is to get...free if he want's it..it he does not wan't it it goes to the Good will or to the "second in line" person I have named...There is not enough money involved to matter and I'd rather just have friends have things like the few engines I have...lots of fishing tackle....firearms and ammo and reloading stuff...,etc. In the meantime I'm selling off some of the things that have more value and spending the money on airline tickets to have the kids come visit (I can't travel)..that's a better use for the funds.

We tried to have an estate sale when my Father in Law died and the pickers and thieves that come from Tijuana each weekend to cruise garage and estate sales....burned me out very soon...we put up with their digging through things and either trying to walk off with them or bid a penny on the dollar...so we shut things down...called an auction company and took the whole thing to them...it all went away and no problems.

Dead is dead...when I'm gone I don't want to be remembered by the difficulty folks had unloading my junk or a fight over some $50 fishing rod...it's just stuff...dear to me today but of no value to anyone else.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to R. Kern For This Post:
Old 05-03-2016, 08:56:55 AM
Subscriber

Even though I am a collector of such it is not the scrappers that get my personal ire nor is it the ignorant that send iron off to China that a collector would gladly pay more to have. The one's that make my hackles stand straight up are the heirs that never gave a rat about dad or grandpa's stuff until he passes then make an absolute circus out of the process of dispersal. We have all seen it happen right here on the site. Personally I don't partake and it's not because I dont have the wants or the funds its because I cant stand the aroma that surrounds such deals, I dont need any of it.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DieselAddicted For This Post:
Old 05-03-2016, 09:20:42 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,949 Times in 2,482 Posts

I guess I was thinking about this thread a lot last March when the low grade carcinoma in the bladder was mentioned. Son and I don't talk , had dogs that I worried about, what, was going to happen to them, sadly, I lost my female, meet her again someday I guess. But, I at least know where one engine will go to a good friend that helped me, in the time of need, and the church visit helped too. But I hope someone at least runs the 8,Muleteam one last time for me before the dirt gets thrown in my face and the devil knows I am dead. After I seen my grandparents and grt maiden aunt fiasco, it will look like a flock of buzzards landed here, X1 in particular X2 beat me to the devil, grand kids might have fun looking at a old mans junk they never seen . Glad not only I think about the end, All I ask for is one more run of the 8Mule and 3 days in heaven before the devil knows I am dead........

Last edited by Rich Mueller Sr; 05-03-2016 at 12:11:24 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:26:39 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,596 Times in 613 Posts

My step kids will probably sell it for beer money and my wife would probably just give it to somebody to clean it up.. Oh well I had a good time at least ...
Old 05-03-2016, 09:34:04 AM
Subscriber

I have a lot of fun playing with my toys, but what happens to them when I'm gone is somebody elses problem.

My wife has already written my obituary: "Rays dead, auction on Saturday."

Ray Rice, getting ready for the Hudson Valley Old Time Power Association Annual consignment auction on May 14, 2016.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Handlebar99 For This Post:
Old 05-03-2016, 09:37:14 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,106 Times in 499 Posts

I use to keep a notebook listing most of my "toys".. And what I had paid for them.. And who gets the stuff when im dead...But after the old lady found out what some of the "toys" cost , I had to get rid of the book....... Still got the "toys". but now, its getting harder to "sneek in new ones from time to time.
One time she found my "secret stash" and all hell broke lose.... I Had to sleep on the couch for the night. I must admit it wasn't that bad ... I would have slept like a baby that night... Except for the strange dream of some one putting popcorn in the smokebox of my scale traction engine . talk about a pop-o-matic.....
When the time comes... I told my only kid to take stock of what I have and pick out a few to keep... Sell the rest and feed me to the fishes... have a "wake" so everyone can talk s**t about me ... And have a good time.
Maybe she will keep the steam tractor.... And give the steam-whistle a tug for me ....but I just don't know.. But I hope that she sees the value in some of my crap. Wishful thinking, maybe.. But its all I can hope for. After all... I'll be gone... and they don't make a hearse with a trailer hitch....
Old 05-03-2016, 09:42:03 AM
Registered

I bet the guys who own scrap yards have some good stuff in there garage.
The Following User Says Thank You to Donkeypull For This Post:
Old 05-03-2016, 09:54:14 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,967 Posts

You are right Donkey.

Well, let me ask a question that may strike a fire and cause some hard feelings but I can't help it. I would like to better understand this issue.
How is it that folks wind up with mates in their lives that do not share any of the common interest?

I know of 1 case in particular that the WIFE bought and paid for most the engines and encourages her husband to have fun and travel,long as she is with him to.
It is my interpretation that the wives are jealous of the time that the hobby takes away from them . A neighbor has a home built airplane. His wife hates it, therefore it sits and rots to her delight. I finally just ask him which can he get more of, wives or longer lifespan to do what he enjoys?

Kids not having interest in it. Could it be that parents don't explain the value early enough in life for them to understand?

As you can probably tell, I am single.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to uglyblue66 For This Post:
Old 05-03-2016, 10:13:24 AM
Registered

Thanked 3,369 Times in 1,962 Posts

Some people are just not mechanically inclined.
I tried to teach my kid, but she had no interest and became a MD.
She married a MD who is hard pressed to change a tire. Really!
His father is an aircraft mechanic with a house full of tools, who builds/ restores anything. He has 2 brothers who have absolutely no interest in mechanics.

So - when my son in law's dad or I go, our stuff will probably go into the dumpster.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:13:27 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,106 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkeypull View Post
I bet the guys who own scrap yards have some good stuff in there garage.
Who do you think will be circling like vultures When they pass on.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:20:08 AM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 6,190 Times in 3,155 Posts

The scrap guys families fight over their stuff just as bad as anyone else. Had a few local ones that it happened to, Some things never change. I think that after being married to some one for 40 plus years, there's always a lot of animosity and any thing a fellow enjoys is reason enough for the other to despise it! Way too many kids only appreciate their folks to pay bills for them, they forget all the work and sacrifice the folks went thru to get this far.
The Following User Says Thank You to FWurth For This Post:
Old 05-03-2016, 12:34:45 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,949 Times in 2,482 Posts

On wives the old saying what is yours is yours until the divorce, or, you pass , then it is what is yours is now mine and be damned if your going to get any satisfaction until I get it some how, or, I am going to sell everything dirt cheap when your in the ground, to buy a couch!! I got around 200 oil lamp collection too that, was, worth a little bit, some really rare stuff , that no one collects in today's world it seems. But X2 always told me to write stuff down so if I got wiped out in the concrete truck, or , maybe she had plans for my demise, RIP, I shouldn't talk about the dead like that, but the truth. But even Mom has told me my god what is going to happen when something major goes down to you. I have thought about some of the un common engines going to a major show place, if they would be taken care of and not sold or put out to rust away, but have seen some of that to, that went in some others collectors hands and turn to scrap iron outside. Now here is a TRUE story!!.. Dad always had a good Ford truck, and , well, Mom just had to tough it out on a car, Dad always told us he wouldn't be cold in the ground yet, and, she would have a new car, as it turned out, the day of the funeral, brother was driving Mom in her Caravan and we thought maybe they stopped at the house before the dinner the church had for us. Nope, the camshaft broke in half, and yep she had a new car a week later!! Me and my brother and Mom still talk about that yet and how that come about, weird isn't it LOL
Old 05-03-2016, 01:24:21 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,298 Times in 675 Posts

I'm still young enough that barring certain accidents I'll probably be around to collect bits and pieces from a lot of the current collections for quite a while to come.

But imagine what it is going to be like for the young people currently on the site.

Right now, there are still lots of people into this with fond memories of such things that would be willing to clean out a shed in the hopes of finding a favorite gem that can be cleaned and enjoyed some more. So parting out an estate is as simple as getting word out to interested collectors, and many people just plain don't even try.

50 years from now, who is to say there will be any new people in this at all? Most people my age seem to despise old things. They simply have to have a new shiny thing, and throw it away when it is only a couple of years old just because there's a better one available to them.

With modern equipment becoming increasingly automated and designed to be impossible to repair, the skills of a talented mechanic might end up going the way that blacksmithing almost did. And with it, people who have the resources and passion to collect antique machinery.

Its quite likely that I am going to end up having my Nelson Brothers buried with me, for lack of anyone else willing to take care of it and enjoy it as I have. And by then I'd hopefully have a barn full of stuff that I enjoyed, but probably wouldn't have anybody I know to share it with.
The Following User Says Thank You to Odin For This Post:
Old 05-03-2016, 02:36:22 PM

Thanked 6,817 Times in 4,329 Posts
Thumbs up Re: will your kin treasure your junque or take ye treasure

My kids want to preserve everything I own, even have arguements on who is going to get what when I kick the bucket! My ex wife told me flat out - "The day you die, I am going to get a 40 yard dumpster and have a back hoe load it up!" (see where ete 'EX' comes in!!!

As for me - I plan to take a few things with me! In all probability, some will be donated to my local engine club, some will go to the kids and grand kids, and some will be sold to others who will appreciate the things as much as I do.