Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Paint Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Paint Shop Tech. Talk about paint removers, thinners, primers and application techniques plus related topics. Rust removal, paint substitutes and color matching.

Paint Shop

Discontinued paint color

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 549 times

Old 04-21-2019, 11:14:42 AM
Subscriber

Default Discontinued paint color

I have two old hotrods that are painted with Porsche Red Ua 51429. This code is now used for Kirker Flame Red which is a different color. The jams and interior are painted with the discontinued color along with the rest of the vehicle. I have contacted Kirker to ask for the paint formula to the old color. No luck with that. I've been to two different auto paint stores to get a comparator formula. The two have been close but not on the money. Have tried comparing to paint chips and spray cans in the parts stores. The closest thing I have found is dupli color in a can Chrysler pr4. Off a little on the shade. Other than painting both again or settling. Any suggestions? Thank You
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2019, 02:05:43 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,909 Times in 2,053 Posts
Default Re: Discontinued paint color

Believe Sherwin Williams will mix up zny color you want. I know they at least used to have a great automotive paint department. Might need a major city store though.
Doc
Old 04-21-2019, 03:03:58 PM
Subscriber

The auto paint store here has a scanner , you take in a panel they scan it mix the paint and it matches. in your case they would scan your car and the paint would match the area they scanned . call around.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tom Marshall Jr. For This Post:
Old 04-21-2019, 03:20:10 PM
Registered

Have the color tinted and blend it in
Old 04-21-2019, 03:49:34 PM
Registered

Thanked 3,610 Times in 1,134 Posts

I knew the paint companies would mix paint by taking a picture of your car and matching it. I thought the computer was coming up with a formula, what it's doing is matching the paint to every color in it's file. I had the interior for my 61 Corvette done and it came up with a 1957 Mercedes color, worked well for me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J.B. Castagnos For This Post:
Old 04-21-2019, 05:41:06 PM
Subscriber

Thanks for the replies, I've had it scanned by two different stores, got mixed samples and shot on a test panel. Neither were right on. If I had the paint formula, I could get it mixed locally. I could not get the formula from Kirker, the folks who made the paint. It was a preparatory premixed color sold in gallons. The paint is single stage, does not take to blending in. Even if it did, I'm not that good. I would need to paint the whole panel, which is OK but I still would have to stop next to original old paint. Looks like I'll just have to get the match close and repaint, I really don't want to do the jams and dashes over. I will use base and clear next time. Thank you, CK Maybe I'll try a couple more scans and test, couldn't hurt.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:03:41 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,566 Times in 2,754 Posts

Look at Porsche "Guards Red." That one comes to mind immediately.
The Following User Says Thank You to I like oldstuff For This Post:
Old 04-21-2019, 09:23:49 PM

Just remember that the color you are trying to match is old, and most likely faded. The shade can change with time. Did you have them scan the outside or a panel that is not in the sun? We had a part for one of our tractors, they wanted a part that was not out in the sun, so I found a spot where two panels were bolted together and used it.
SmokStak Member #28
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike in NC For This Post:
Old 04-22-2019, 12:02:32 AM
Registered

I wanted to get the correct colour for a vintage Victa mower. I did exactly as described above, took it apart and hidden in between the handles was the original colour. I cut and polished this area and then using colour cards in the shade and full sun and got close but not close enough. Took it to the scanner and it worked a treat. From that mix I got the code numbers from that paint system because other systems are different and now when I do the next one of the same make I have the code and supplier at hand.
So polish it up and bring it back to how it is and also as described the paint has aged so this is where a painter can colour match from the base colour to match the shade you need. Try going to a panel beater shop and ask if they will supply the paint matched to your car. It can be done as it isn't as though your asking to go to Mars just a simple colour matched paint.
The Following User Says Thank You to cobbadog For This Post:
Old 04-22-2019, 07:52:37 AM
Subscriber

I painted the Belair last year and it has been sitting in the shop. The paint has not been in the sun. The Chevy truck was painted several years ago also in the shop also covered up. Same color. Bought several gallons intending to paint both the same color red. They are hot rods and red sells well. Painted the car twice, I didn't have it straight enough the first time. Long story short, had a little damage to the truck fender in the shop and no paint for repair. You might say I have painted myself into a corner. Have several pieces painted with the original color that would work if someone could color match it. The paint is single stage so the whole fender needs to repainted. There isn't any blending the paint so it has to be close. Thanks for your reply. Charley K