eBay Auctions
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Off Topic Discussion > eBay© Auction Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

eBay© Auction Discussion All eBay™ discussion; engines, frauds, fancies, weird stuff and more.

eBay© Auction Discussion

Move EBAY stuff to EBAY forum?

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 3611 times

Old 07-25-2007, 10:29:38 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,074 Times in 493 Posts
Default Move EBAY stuff to EBAY forum?

I like to respectfully make a suggestion and see if it makes sense to the moderator and hear from other members. My understanding is that we have a seperate forum for ebay talk. all the chit chat about ebay listings, greedy sellers, crazy buyers and talking the item up or down has all been purged from the gas engine forum. When one of these: "Hey lookie at this " threads pops up on the gas forum it gets MOVED pdq to the EBAY forum. Where generally nobody reads them. Yes, I am as guilty as anyone, but I am have thoughs now about the effect of all this.

Why do I say this. Well, its highly unlikely- but; I have been saving money and I want a traction engine. I doubt it will come from EBAY, but it could. All this talk and rebutal from sellers and online boiler apraisal only brings attention to every single, dog darn traction that comes up. The funny thing is that is not necessarily fair to the sellers or buyers. Now if somebody wants to get an engine looked at, I know for a fact you are much better to take it off line and NOT blab the results to the whole world.

Beyond that there are some very rich and very poorly informed people in the world who might actually start to believe a certain advance is worth 70k. Or like the guy asking if he could find an engine for 100K? Yes, they are born every day.

So what we accomplish is drive up prices, attract attention to every single traction engine sale and fill up this forum with a lot of junk that I think belongs in the EBAY forum. Which I though were the rules?

I am sure an exception would be appropriate for fraud or really really serious outright lies. Those are rare.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2007, 10:42:00 PM

Thanked 20,742 Times in 5,999 Posts
Default Re: Move EBAY stuff to EBAY forum?

Peter......Harry and I have talked about just this subject.
We have let the occasional links to "THAT" place remain as long as it's only a point of interest.
If it's someone promoting their own auction that is a different story....... .......and it will be moved.
Ebay has become so pervasive (invasive..... ) it is impossible to eliminate all links to "THAT" place.
However a link that points to an auction having NOTHING to do with the intent of whatever forum in which it appears will be either moved or REmoved.
As long as it's not overdone....... .......we're gonna let 'em ride.......for now.......

Craig
Old 07-25-2007, 10:50:22 PM

Thanked 4,294,967,134 Times in 3,931 Posts

Peter & Craig,

Hmmm, I think I am a current "guilty" party with the Case skid engine. I'd like to believe that my comments are more for a responsible sale than anything else....well, that & to let Casemaker think I have "Eagle Fever!"

The mention of Ebay items is a catch 22. We don't want to intentionally promote the price increase, but when the items are interesting (like my perception of the rarity of the 40 skid & that it is only 40 miles from me & few knew of its existence...), it makes for good copy.

We all should realize that our assessments of situations & equipment are simply that - assessments of stuff we may or may not know. I personally looked at the Case because it was on my way home, Colin wanted to know about it & I was curious. I'm not expert, but enjoyed meeting the sellers and hope the information helps us find the history on the engine.

Beth
Old 07-25-2007, 10:53:59 PM
Registered

Craig, what you are saying is the EVERY SINGLE EBAYtraction auction will be discussed on this forum. I have been watching and I can say for a fact that ALL get brought up. Almost a routine now. Like hey "what do we know about this engine". And that is almost an exact quote from a recent thread. What would be considered over done, two threads on the same engine. Becasue, thats been done too.

Maybe we should get some other opinions before you decide this matter. I'm probably getting out voted anyway, but I'd like too hear is any one else feeling my frustration?

Last edited by Peter; 07-25-2007 at 11:12:19 PM.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:07:44 PM
Registered

Beth, not to pick on you. I have talked about a lot of EABY auctions. But this case 40 was kinda on my mind. Colin seems interested and yet he gives advise on traction conversions. Maybe I'm wrong, I only briefly persue the details. If Colin was even remotely serious. you two should work off line. Really. I can tell you there are a lot of people listening and price will go up as a result.

I dont want that case, but it seems only a matter of time before a suitable east coast lesser demand maker hits the bay. I might drive 500 miles for a look and get home only to hear a full blow detail report from some one close buy with zero interest for himself. Then the german/nethlander/whatever thinks, hey that one sounds good. Or they guy with 100k and no clue decides to take the plunge.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:42:10 PM

Thanked 4,294,967,134 Times in 3,931 Posts

Peter,

No offense taken. Colin & I have discussed this engine offline. The items posted here are relatively generic with the purpose of hopefully finding out more about its history as well as its future.

If you re-read my posts, you will note my comments towards responsible ownership. That is one of the reasons I made contact with the owners and discussed this in great detail. I have no vested interest in this or any other engine.

Harry & Craig will be the deciding factors in how SmokStak handles the issue.

Beth
Old 07-26-2007, 12:07:23 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,637 Times in 1,053 Posts

Peter,

I can understand your reasons for starting this thread. I too have observed that EVERY engine for sale gets discussed in an open format on this board be it from ebay, the engineads or some other site listing. I personally don’t think that is fair to the seller because all it takes is one person that does not like that engine owner and a few “small” or “simple” posts from them or one of their close friends (yes……..there are steam engine “clicks”) and that owner may have just lost a sale or had what was a reasonable value significantly reduced. To me, this is just a hobby and it takes a backseat to my family, business, and many other activities; but there will be a time that the wrong engine is going to get “discussed” and that owner will not take it lightly and have deep enough pockets to fight more than a few folks and will be able to tie them up in the legal system for a few years until he feels that they have paid enough to understand his principles. I know quite a few folks that have spent some serious money on their “principles”, I am just glad that they are not in this hobby, especially listing something for sale or there would be some definite reform.

Jeff Smith
Old 07-26-2007, 01:02:58 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,419 Times in 847 Posts

Well.... At the risk of Ruffeling some feathers I thought the purpose of this forum was to Discuss Stationary and Traction Engines.... And if they Happen to be On E-Bay or Wherever is kinda Beside the point...

For example... the Recent Advance discussion brought out some facts of construction and Safety factors in California.

If your Promoting an auction or Been swindled the E-Bay forum is the proper place....
Old 07-26-2007, 08:01:57 AM
Registered

Thank you Jeff. Another consequence of the sometimes very subtle bashing, is what happens if I buy the engine and the NY or Ct inspector has seen criticism over here. Most of which is highly subjective.

here is an example of my pain:

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38477

Ken, nothin ruffled here. I appreciate the point of view. Again, seems to me the gas engine forum sets a higher standard.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:54:46 PM
Registered

Thanked 6,621 Times in 2,434 Posts

As another point of view; I bought my last traction engine off of "evil-bay" after being informed of it in a totally unrelated "stationary steam & traction" thread. If it had only been discussed on the e-bay forum, I might have missed it! I'm happy I got it, and am pleased someone brought it to my attention.

I know I'm not the only staker that's bought an engine off of "that site", and some have sold engines on "that site". As someone else said, this forum is to discuss steam engines, wherever they may be!

Mike
Old 07-26-2007, 07:24:40 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Majeski View Post
Well.... At the risk of Ruffeling some feathers I thought the purpose of this forum was to Discuss Stationary and Traction Engines.... And if they Happen to be On E-Bay or Wherever is kinda Beside the point...

For example... the Recent Advance discussion brought out some facts of construction and Safety factors in California.

If your Promoting an auction or Been swindled the E-Bay forum is the proper place....
Here, here. What is the difference if word gets out that person X is thinking of selling an engine through private channels and he/she either gets a higher or lower price based on comments found on this board? I, for one, would certainly hope that if I were interested in an engine and I wanted information on that engine...whether it were found on THAT site or because someone called to tell me that person X wanted to get rid of it...that I could come here and bring it up for discussion to find out what people knew about it (at my own risk of losing the engine to another buyer). It would be a shame if a resource like this board were wasted when so much valuable information could be shared to help someone make a decision (viewing trips halfway across the country cost real dollars by the way). By way of actual story that happened to me, I traveled to Ohio several years ago to look at a Baker and Nichols & Shepard engine for the purpose of deciding whether to make a purchase. I didn't know that the Baker had had plates welded in the boiler around the firebox about a third of the way up from the bottom of the wet bottom because of issues with the bottom and that another third was filled with mud because of sediment in the water. I would have liked to have known that information and had I had the opportunity to know beforehand I might not have made the trip that cost me the plane fare, rental car, and vacation from work. Not to be melodramatic, but my young kids ride on my engine with me from time to time and if I were looking at an engine and someone had real issues with it because of specific knowledge I damn sure would want to know that.

Like many things in our economy (e.g. trucks, tractors, televisions, etc.), the problem with listening to many people comment about something is that you wind up with many opinions and some of those might be driven by reasons that are not entirely objective. Each person has to weigh the validity of comments, the source of the information, and the motive behind the comment benig made and then decide on their own whether or not those comments are worthwhile information or rubbish to be discarded. Trying to legislate, for lack of a better word, against someone making negative comments based on spite versus knowledge is futile.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:45:16 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,637 Times in 1,053 Posts

Peter,

Post number 86 in this thread is very similar to what I was describing above. I just don't like when discussions get real ugly or things are said that are not the truth and it affects the owner of the engine.

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showth...ber+avery+ebay

Ken Majeski,

No feathers ruffled here either; in fact I would like to take the opportunity to compliment you on the amount of information that I have learned from you over the years. There is rarely a time that you state something that I am not in agreement with. Thank you for all of the free education!

Jeff Smith