Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Wisconsin Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Wisconsin Engines Single cylinder up to V4 engines.

Wisconsin Engines

Looking for some help with a Wisconsin Robin Engine

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 12318 times

Old 07-07-2009, 09:43:08 AM
Registered

Default Looking for some help with a Wisconsin Robin Engine

Well hello everyone, i came across this site while looking for some info on my wisconsin robin engine, thought it looks cool, and joined.

So heres where i need some help, i have a Wisconsin Robin EY27W, spec # 800315, 8hp(?) flathead. It has no spark, and uses an ignition system i've never heard of before called PIT (Pulser ignition transistor) system. The engine has no spark, and i have no idea how the test the two components to see which is bad, the PIT unit has 2 wires coming from it, black and red, the Pulser coil also has 2 wires, red and black. So if anyone knows how to test each one, that would be great. I have a multimeter so thats no problem. Thanks in advance!

Also, im not sure if this is considered antique, it looks fairly old, but the low oil sensor makes it seem newer? If its not, is there a better place to post it?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2009, 09:45:11 AM
Registered

Default Re: Looking for some help with a Wisconsin Robin Engine

Heres the wiring diagram for the PIT ignition, seems very over engineered.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:46:15 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 1,196 Times in 1,057 Posts

I have NO experience with this unit, BUT look to be an early solid-state ignition system. Also with the experience I do have with the older system, IF you can find the parts they will be VERY expensive. About the only way to test is to replace parts. You should be able to use an ohm meter to test the three coil in the diagram. The one that is connected to the spark gap, the plug, will have a high, 5 to 10 k, resistance reading.

Kent
The Following User Says Thank You to K D Redd For This Post:
Old 07-08-2009, 11:03:20 AM
Registered

I did test it, and got around 12k ohm, but thats with my cheap $10 multi meter, so it could be slightly off. I did have a feeling everything would be expensive, i'll most likely put it aside, its just too bad, the engine has great compression and is in overall good shape.

Anyone have any idea as to how old this is?
Old 07-08-2009, 09:11:40 PM
Registered

If it has low oil shut off, try disconnecting that. I ran into that on a wisc robin on a power trowel. It would run for a few seconds then cut out, like the ignition switch was shut off. Nothing like having 40 yards of concrete setting up while messing with the trowel! The correct wires pulled from the low oil shutoff unit kept it running the rest of the day, and finished the floor nicely.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:48:46 PM
Registered

Yea, i did pull the low oil sensor wires off. This engine was actually on a cement mixer at one point, the guy bought a new engine and gave me this one because it had no spark.