Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Welding Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Welding Shop Welder generators, equipment, weld practice, techniques, troubles and solutions. See our TERMS of SERVICE prior to reading!

Welding Shop

Propane tip for old oxy/acetylene cutting torch

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 11170 times

Old 06-23-2011, 05:19:38 PM
Registered

Default Propane tip for old oxy/acetylene cutting torch

With the interruption in the calcium carbide material stream, to generate acetylene. I figured I would see if I could get a tip for use with my old Rego KX-6 torch.

Torch, acetylene tip left side propane on the right

business end

Business end of the propane tip
Now Some of the propane & natural gas tips come either as one piece or as two piece tip sets. And you can use either gas with them.

Here is mine with the mixing chamber removed, you can see the groves leading to end orifice.
Haven't had a chance to try it out yet, as the job list is getting longer with the continuing rainy weather. The cost was around $25.00 for this one
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PTSideshow For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2011, 05:21:44 PM
Registered

Default Re: Propane tip for old oxy/acetylene cutting torch

Well got the T type hoses out of the box, and dug out the old style harbor freight blue cart. After looking over the selection of regulators on the shelf at the LWS. I decided to use the new fuel gas regulator along with its companion oxygen regulator that came in the box of stuff I had purchased from somebody moving out of town. I'm pretty sure that they are from a harbor freight set/kit. But for occasional use they should be fine.

The 40 pounder LP cylinder and 125 ³ft oxygen cylinder fits on the cart so they can be moved easily.
Installed the quick connects and check valves Since propane doesn't pop back no need for flash back arrestors or so I have been told.

So other than finding the little box of flints for replacing the missing one on the stricker,

Here is the 4 sections of I beam I cut from a couple of scrap 12" sections to make up two sets of leg risers for removing the BBQ pit from the trailer to use.

After a short learning curve on lighting the torch, adjusting the flame it was good to go. I used about 6#s on the LP and 25 #s on the oxygen. It wasn't much of a learning curve to adjust the travel speed of the cut, along with the slower heating the metal up to cutting temp. It worked very well, I was pleased with the cuts since I haven't used a torch to cut since i got the plasma.

The biggest problem I had was cutting the 4" wide sections from the 12" sections, the gloves were not keeping the backs of my hands cool enough to cut all the pieces at one session.

On the scale of things, I found that for a minimum investment propane/oxygen will be the fuel gas of choice even when the acetylene shortage is over.

I'm waiting to hear from Bob from the Henrob/Cobra torch company. They are working on a tip set up for their torches. Since it was probably the second most asked question at the N.A.M.E.S expo, after what's the price.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PTSideshow For This Post:
Old 06-24-2011, 07:22:02 PM
Registered

PT, try about 7 psi on the propane, and 30-35 psi on the oxygen. Also what size tip is that? A 1 or a 2. Depending on your regulators, adjust your oxygen pressure while the cut jet is depressed. You should get an 6-10" "rat tail", then add just a touch more oxygen, it will give you much less slag in your cuts. Also before you pull the cut jet the metal should be "white" hot. Preheating several inches ahead before you start cutting will allow you to keep preheated ahead of the cut. Propane and propylene actually cuts cleaner than act. when adjusted correctly.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:29:20 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,901 Times in 3,758 Posts

I haven't had a chance to play around with it yet, but I got a Propane tip and two more acetyline tips for my old Airco torch on eBay a month or so ago for $9.99 + $3.41 S&H

Didn't think that was too bad for 3 tips even though I only needed the propane one.

Farm & Fleet didn't have any Airco tips, and I didn't feel like running all over the place trying to find a parts store that did.

If my hose will reach, would it be possible to run the torch off of a big 500 gallon LP tank. And do you need to raise the regulator pressure a little for the longer run of hose. I have a few small LP (BBQ) tanks too, but I have this big tank behind my building about 28% full that's just been setting there. Use to run the furnace in the mobile home that's on the extra lot I bought and put my building up on. As I haven't put any heat inthe building yet, the LP tank is just setting there waiting to be used.

---------- Post added at 08:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTSideshow View Post
...I'm waiting to hear from Bob from the Henrob/Cobra torch company. They are working on a tip set up for their torches. Since it was probably the second most asked question at the N.A.M.E.S expo, after what's the price.
I hadn't thought of the possibility of propane tips for the Henrob (formerly "Dillon Mark IV" if I remember right). I've wanted one of those torches for almost 30 years, but never had the money when I was where they were, and when I had the money I never thought to go looking for one.

Are they as easy to use as the demonstrators make them look, or are they just that good at using them. Watched a guy torch weld a stack of aluminum pop cans together with one many many years ago.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:28:52 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTTO-Sawyer View Post

I hadn't thought of the possibility of propane tips for the Henrob (formerly "Dillon Mark IV" if I remember right). I've wanted one of those torches for almost 30 years, but never had the money when I was where they were, and when I had the money I never thought to go looking for one.

Are they as easy to use as the demonstrators make them look, or are they just that good at using them. Watched a guy torch weld a stack of aluminum pop cans together with one many many years ago.
There is a learning curve as the weight, feel and balance of the torch is markedly different. And yes it does take practice. I do like mine, but am no where as good as the local guy Bob is. That sells them around here. Also cutting names out in cursive in 1" plate comes from 3/4 days a week 12 hours a day demonstrating. go figure with practice comes skill!

Over the last 10 years, In asking followup questions to the people that hate the Cobra/Henrob/Dillon torch. Most will admit they have either never used one, or only used one for minutes or less.

To fill up smaller tanks from a large one, you need to have a liquid draw valve on the large pig. The only problem would be the losses within the length of hose each time you shut it off and bleed the hose.
The Following User Says Thank You to PTSideshow For This Post:
Old 06-25-2011, 06:33:32 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTSideshow View Post
To fill up smaller tanks from a large one, you need to have a liquid draw valve on the large pig. The only problem would be the losses within the length of hose each time you shut it off and bleed the hose.
I was wondering more about putting the regulator right on the big LP tank behind the building and running the torch directly off of it. Hadn't concidered refilling the smaller ones from it.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:29:36 PM
Registered

You would have to have the large one empty so they could put the liquid vale system in it. A friend had a 250gal pig and we filled up her 3 tanks for her hot air balloon.
Have you thought of running a hard copper line to your building and then assembling fittings to use your regular acetylene regulator. That is what is on the LP cylinder in my photo's Or moving the pig closer to the building.

I noticed tonight that my original set of gauges, a Craftsman set that I bought first pay check after high school, didn't have the red danger bar on it. I cleaned the dust off the ring. Around the name plate it said acetylene gas, LP gas So I think tomorrow I ill swap the fuel regulators so I don't freak out any more people then have e mailed me so far.
I will get a photo tomorrow and post it.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:14:03 PM
Subscriber

My tank is only about 12 feet from the building, but I do most of my cutting out in the yard & driveway.

I had thought of plumbing it into the building too eventually, but wasn't sure what I'd need for a manifold or anything for the regulator to hook on to.

Probably easier to just use the small tanks and eventually hook the big tank up a furnace in the building or one of the garages. Furnace out of the trailer should work quite nicely in the garage.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:46:15 AM
Subscriber

I talked to an LP supplier about different options for the shop, and he suggested a readily available regulator for my 100 gal "pig" which would drop the pressure to 10 lb, then black pipe inside the building to the wall near the welding table, then install an adjustable torch regulator there. That way there isn't full tank pressure in the piping. I would need a cart setup with 20 or 30 lb tank also, as about 25% of my cutting is outside the shop, out of reach of the hoses.

Rick
The Following User Says Thank You to Rick McKay For This Post:
Old 06-26-2011, 02:55:49 PM
Registered

Here is a combination two stage regulator, from Craftsman set from around 1967.

the labeling on the name plate

The whole regulator

So the answer to the question is yes you can use an acetylene regulator on the propane cylinder. it will fit the internal threads of the valve. As you can see my original gauge just has pressure above the 15 psig. I guess we were smarter and or less prone to law suits back then. compared to the gauge dials now with the red danger bar etc.

In contacting the rep from a gauge supplier, the company line is if the gauge dial has a red danger bar on it, it should only be used as a acetylene regulator.