Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

25 Superior how old?

this thread has 25 replies and has been viewed 3964 times

Old 12-19-2011, 09:37:39 PM
Registered

Default 25 Superior how old?

25 HP SUPERIOR # 19118 I would like to know if anyone can tell me when this engine was built?
The Following User Says Thank You to osage For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2011, 02:55:49 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 1,268 Times in 327 Posts
Default Re: 25 superior how old?

I've never heard of anybody being able to date these engines via the SN. I'd like to know the age of mine too.
Keith
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Kinney For This Post:
Old 12-20-2011, 07:57:15 PM
Registered

I have one too with no date known. There were some design changes over the years but that still does not provide a date of manufacture. It only gives some clues to early or late production. The date for the two cycles is easier to find so they say. Four cycles are a mystery.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Miley For This Post:
Old 12-20-2011, 08:46:44 PM
Registered

Keith and Jeff thanks for the reply. It would be good if there was a way to find out how old these engines are if you hear of anyway this could be done let me know. There must be some way of getting a close idea of their age.Thanks again
Old 12-21-2011, 02:41:26 AM
Subscriber

Hi keith, was that the original intake box on your engine? The top cover on it has the casting for a hot tube ignition. They made the transition from hot tube to magneto in the late teens. Does your bed have a flat spot machined for the mag bracket or did someone drill holes and mount a mag themselves? If you engine never came out with a mag from the factory, then it's probably pre-1917. Is the cam lobe on the sideshaft one piece or split? That would tell you if it was aftermarket. Take care, leonard

---------- Post added at 12:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 AM ----------

If you can post a few pics, we might could narrow down the years. Pics of the head, intake box, magneto, if it has one, and the mag mounting place on the engine bed. Lf
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Leonard Fausset For This Post:
Old 12-21-2011, 10:40:05 AM
Subscriber

Hi Leonard, do you know when they went to the angled 2 piece main bearing on? Mine is 4 piece main bearing which lays horizontal. Also mine has an adjustment for the cam/crank gear on the sideshaft. Also, mine is a 35hp w/ some numbers stamped on the back of the cylinder flange. Sorry Osage for stealing thread. Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to Tim B For This Post:
Old 12-21-2011, 07:43:49 PM
Subscriber

Hey tim. When you say a four piece main, do you mean a four bolt main cap that might look a bit oversized? Does your engine say superior on the front of the head, on the front of the water cover? I would really like to see a pic of this engine. I will be glad to help you get a date on this, but let us see what it looks like. Lf
The Following User Says Thank You to Leonard Fausset For This Post:
Old 12-21-2011, 08:12:10 PM
Subscriber

Photo Re: 25 superior how old?

Thanks for getting back LF. Well, it's rainy and dark right now, but I did take a picture awhile back. Yes I still have this apart. There is a small portion of babbit on the bottom, two babbit lined wedges front and back that bolt in, plus the top cover. It is a complete engine. I'll try to get you more pics tomorrow. I'll try to get some pics of the bearing pieces and cam adjustments. Yes it has a Superior cover that bolts to the head, but is broken. Let me know what pics would help out. Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	35 Superior.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	123651  
Old 12-21-2011, 08:52:19 PM
Registered

Leonard: Good to hear from you. Do you know when Superior production began and ended? This would give us some dates for reference. Did the serial numbers run consecutive? I know the super early engines were round rods. The oil reservoirs on the sideshaft drive gear was an later modification I expect and I did see what I think is a very late model Superior with a small piston and guide on the valve cages to prevent wear on the valves and valves guides. Any input would be helpful. You have seen more of these engines than most of us.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:34:40 PM
Subscriber

Hi tim, you have a very good engine. The 4 bolt main cap is unique. I would like to see a pic of the main cap. If it is bigger than the bearing main that it sits on and hangs over a little on front and back, that tells us a lot about your engine. Get a pic of the main cap and of the front cover even though it's broke, i think we can identify your engine. Is there a brass tag for it?. I assume in the pic you've got your flywheels backwards. Thanks for the pic, lf

---------- Post added at 09:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 PM ----------

Hi jeff, i don't know any more about serial numbers than anyone else. I have been trying to keep tract of serial numbers of the engines i see and i think one of these days we may have an outline or framework for dating all of our engines. Anyone that would like can send me pics and serial numbers and as i get closer, i will share this with the superior collectors community. Leonard fausset, lfausset@gmail.com. Also on the round rod, i think, think, that maybe only the 20 hp had a round rod. By 1912 the round rod was considered "old style". If anyone has seen another size with a round rod, please let us know. Pj shouvlin started superior in 1889, but may not, may not have accomplished production of engines until 1896-1898. If there exists a pre-1896 superior in anyones hands, it is a very early and rare engine and likely a round rod. Have you got that 20 to fire yet? Keep in touch jeff, leonard
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leonard Fausset For This Post:
Old 12-22-2011, 10:47:20 AM
Subscriber

Well, it stopped raining! I found a couple different #'s. The ones on the cylinder are pretty clear but I high lighted w/ chaulk for the picture. The ones on the crank are different and faint. I believe the numbers are 1498, parts engine I guess. I'll post a couple more after this post. Thanks for all your time LF.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sup main.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	123683   Click image for larger version

Name:	sup main1.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	123684   Click image for larger version

Name:	sup num.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	123686   Click image for larger version

Name:	sup num close rt.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	123687  
The Following User Says Thank You to Tim B For This Post:
Old 12-22-2011, 10:52:00 AM
Subscriber

a couple more. The picture on the right is of the end of the crank shaft. Oh yeah, LF, yes the crank is turned around. I even planned it that way when I loaded it on the trailer (1st trip). I dont know what I wasnt thinking
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sup head.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	123690   Click image for larger version

Name:	sup crank num.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	123691  
Old 12-22-2011, 02:03:21 PM
Registered

Default Re: 25 Superior how old?

Do all Superiors have the cover plate on the front? I have seen some that do not and they have a pipe plug in the end of the cylinder much like a Reid would have for a hot tube?
Old 12-22-2011, 08:26:59 PM
Registered

Leonard: Thanks for he info. No, not running yet, But It Will! Just a matter of time. Regarding round rods it seems there may be one in existance that I know of but not sure of the size. I thought it was a 15 but may have been a 20. I will send you an email with the guys name who owns it. You are probably already familiar with the engine.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Miley For This Post:
Old 12-22-2011, 09:48:13 PM
Subscriber

Hi jeff and thanks for the correction. The early superiors may have all had round rods. I'm still working on when they switched to the flat beam style rod. Lf
The Following User Says Thank You to Leonard Fausset For This Post:
Old 12-23-2011, 11:34:05 AM
In Memory OF

Hi Leonard,
I would sure be interested in any info which would bring some logic and sence to the dating of these engines. I have the other 20 HP which was on the same site as Jeff's and my Ser. # is 4 digit.

My engine does not have an oil reservor for the side shaft gear, and I have looked very carefully for signs of it ever haveing been there and found nothing.

I sure would like to figure out when mine was manufactured.
Walt
Old 12-24-2011, 11:37:12 PM
Registered

I will post some pictures of my 25 superior tomorrow night maybe it will give some idea of how old it is. If anyone can tell anything by these pictures let me know thanks. Osage
Old 12-25-2011, 06:21:50 PM
Registered

Here are a few pictures of a 25 hp Superior. If anybody can help to date it or give some info how old it might be.

The # is 19118

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to osage For This Post:
Old 12-25-2011, 08:46:39 PM
Registered

i was told one time that the engines with the flange to bolt the clutch assembly to were later, and on the early ones the crank shaft ran long and the clutch/pulley slid over it. anybody know if this is true?
Merry Christmas
thanks
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dan W. For This Post:
Old 12-25-2011, 09:05:32 PM
Registered

I know very little but will share what I have been told. Please correct me if I am wrong. The oil reservoir under the driven gear on the sideshaft is a change made on the later engines (how late I do not know). The serial number is relatively high which may also indicate a later production engine if in deed the numbers are consecutive. Walts engine has a four digit serial number and no oil reservoir. My engine has an early five digit number and has the reservoir. Leonard Fausset could probably add much more based on the photos. I am new to these engines.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Miley For This Post: