Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

McCormick Deering 15-30 Multi-Disc Clutch Questions

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 940 times

Old 06-03-2016, 10:16:53 AM
Subscriber

Exclamation McCormick Deering 15-30 Multi-Disc Clutch Questions

I have an early McCormick deering with the multi-disc clutch in it. I believe that it looks like someone has put in new linings, but I think the tension of the clutch springs are wrong. The tractor can be drove around, but when put under load to pull something it slips and I have tried tightening the springs down and it didn't help too much. So i am wondering where I can find the correct clutch springs at or have made? They are 2in O.D. and 5in long and have a compression tension of around 140/lbs.

Thanks Troy
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2016, 03:06:42 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,838 Times in 809 Posts
Default Re: McCormick Deering 15-30 Multi-Disc Clutch Questions

Check for out of place or "hung up" discs either on the pins or the hub. If there is a hung up disc it might be only squeezing 1 disc.
Old 06-04-2016, 09:35:44 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by halcon View Post
Check for out of place or "hung up" discs either on the pins or the hub. If there is a hung up disc it might be only squeezing 1 disc.
Halcon,

I will keep that in mind and have someone help me check that as I cannot see into the clutch housing while pushing in the clutch. The only thing I have to counter is that; this clutch pedal is one of the softest McCormick Deering clutches I have pushed in.

Troy
Old 06-05-2016, 09:50:30 PM
Registered

Troy, If you need new pins I have some NOS pins and I have a complete multi disc set up complete with good discs.

Dwayne
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rusticred For This Post:
Old 06-05-2016, 10:07:42 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,838 Times in 809 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Vetsch View Post
Halcon,

I will keep that in mind and have someone help me check that as I cannot see into the clutch housing while pushing in the clutch. The only thing I have to counter is that; this clutch pedal is one of the softest McCormick Deering clutches I have pushed in.

Troy
Troy my '28 multi disc pushes real easy and will stall the engine and it's a good engine.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:11:10 PM
Subscriber

Roger and I checked out the discs in the clutch, since I took the belt pulley off the other day. All discs were loose when clutch isn't engaged and then tightened up together when the clutch is engaged. Although when I took the belt pulley off i noticed there wasn't hardly anything left of the gasket and the first clutch disc was very oily and greasy. Since then I have cleaned it up with contact cleaner and will continue to do so until it is completely clean and dry.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Troy