Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines A gathering place for OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". Basically, if you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines

Why won't my 15 HP Reid start/run ?

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 2080 times

Old 10-01-2007, 07:17:25 PM
Email NOT Working

Default Why won't my 15 HP Reid start/run ?

Hi,

My 15 HP Reid has been sitting for a year due to my health problems which are almost cured.My engine friends told me if I would bring my engine to the Harvest Fair in Medford Oregon that they would start it for me. The first thing that went wrong was that even though I thought that I had all the holes plugged I miised one and the mud daubers go into the fuel line. We got the bugs cleaned out of the regulator and the engine started resonably well with the backfire method we have been using. The engine ran all day and near the end of the day the tank froze and starved the engine for fuel and it finally died. That evening I took the tank and had it refilled and yesterday morning we attempted to start the engine. It was a cold morning under 50 degrees.We got the engine to almost run but it died never to start again. Having worn everyone out we finally gave up. We tried varying the heat on the hot tube and had a few revelutions in reverse but never the second combustion stroke in the right direction for it to run. The fuel burned all right in the hot tube burner. I am open to suggestions/ideas of what I might be doing wrong or something I might check to see if something is not functioning properly.
I wish at times like these I was back east in the areas that these engines are being used as out here there is none around or any place to look for help so I am open to any and all suggestions.

Thanking all in advance

Bob out west on the High Desert
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2007, 07:47:34 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Why won't my 15 HP Reid start/run ?

How's the compression? You my have to pull the transfer valve and clean it. Sometimes they will get oil and junk in them and cause a starting/running problem. If it's got oil/gunk in it, it could lower your compression, or disturb the charge coming over from the charging cyl. Hope this helps a little. Good luck.
Don
Old 10-01-2007, 09:44:46 PM
Registered-III

I would double check everything in the propane system very carefully. Mud daubers are very adept at trashing anything with small passageways in it, and some of the trash always seems to get left behind to migrate and regroup and cause trouble after an initial cleaning. Sometimes they will plug small vent holes on a regulator diaphragm body, leaving it where it will work, but not work right. If your compression feels normal and the valve action is OK, you might have a problem with a clogged passage from the cylinder to the hot tube. Another more likely possibility is a partially clogged jet in the hot tube burner that prevents the hot tube getting up to full temperature. I had a burner with a clogged or undersized jet and I sometimes had trouble starting in chilly damp weather. I got another burner that had a good orifice and it will sure enough get the tube hot and in a hurry, and I don't have any more problems with cold starting or excessive backfiring in cool wet weather now.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:45:14 PM
Registered-III

Hi Bob,
My 15HP Reid has to have the hot tube blazing hot (bright orange) to start right.One other thing you might want to try is switch to a different propane tank to make sure you did'nt get a funky tank of propane.Sounds strange but I have had that problem also..Also seen a cherry seed get stuck in a transfer valve once and cause its owner a really big headache. Let us know how you make out.

Doug
Old 10-01-2007, 11:46:39 PM
Registered-III

Id look at that transfer valve , just like they said . If it gets gummy it'll drive ya nuts .
Old 10-02-2007, 09:38:05 AM
Registered-II

I know it sounds simple, but two things to look at. 1. does it have the transfer valve cap?? if so make sure it hasn't worked its way up and is just barely holding the valve off the seat. My 20 would do this and I like to have never figured it out. Thats probably why most are long gone missing. Now I always take the valve cap off when I run it. 2. if you had tweeked the air valve in the mixer to get it to run right at speed, ect... you need to bring it back close to wide open to get it to start. If it is closed just a bit too much, it makes these things very easy to flood especially on a cold day as propane just likes to lay in the bottom of the cylinder. Good luck, Drew
Old 10-02-2007, 11:10:44 AM
Registered-II

Bob

Not sure if your mixer valve still has the slide pistons in it or not?{ air/ fuel} Maybe someone could have bumped them and shut off some of your air or fuel. Also check the main valve in your mixer to make sure it's not stuck and the spring is still good and working right.
Also did anyone have the transfer valve housing off ? If so did they get it back in right? -if not the engine will fire but will not run.
Without seeing the engine it's kind of hard to work on it

Anyway it might give you a couple things to check.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:25:03 PM
Email NOT Working

Thumbs up Re: Why won't my 15 HP Reid start/run ?

I cleaned the regulator and also checked the cover on the transfer valve.For some reason the cover was screwed down tight, and that is most likely was my trouble. I will not be able to see for sure as all my helpers to start the engine are not in the area. I will try to muster the help and see if this is the cause. I want to thank all who responded to my questions as all the responses were very helpfull

Bob out west on the high desert
Old 10-04-2007, 10:55:07 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,005 Times in 3,908 Posts
Exclamation Re: Why won't my 15 HP Reid start/run ?

Bob,
With external temp. of only 50 degrees, your vapor pressure probably was pretty low to start with, and running the burner probably chilled the tank further! next time you want to start a propane engine in cool weather, try warming the tank a little, with a drop lite. Even a few degrees can make a huge difference!
Andrew
Old 10-05-2007, 09:48:48 AM
Registered-III

I have had problems with propane tanks freezing in cool weather, and sometimes even a larger one will do it if it is getting down to the last few gallons of liquid propane. One thing that will help is to set the tank in a wash tub full of water. The water does not need to be hot, and I would be leery of getting it over about 70-80 degrees F. Even water at 40 degrees or so has a lot of heat in it, and it will keep the propane tank warm enough to work for a good while. If the tank is near empty, it will try to float, but this has caused no problems for me. It would be a good idea to secure the tank so that it could not fall over or turn upside down in the tub and allow liquid propane into the regulator. If you use this method, put the tank into the washtub with the water in it before starting the engine. This will prevent giving the pressurized tank a thermal shock when it goes in the water.