Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Cletrac Model F Tractor: The Next Project

this thread has 54 replies and has been viewed 6144 times

Old 08-11-2017, 12:53:43 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 4,998 Times in 792 Posts
Default Re: Cletrac Model F Tractor: the next project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrgWayne View Post
You do not waste any time do You ?
Nope, like to have a "project" to work on, though I should be working on axle shaft seals in the Bobcat....

After a trip to town this morning to take the boys school shoe shopping and pick up a few supplies (larger valve spring compressor, 5 gal. of kerosene, different shop vac adapter to get all the large particulate out of the tractor)... and after servicing the lawn mower for the wife, I had a couple hours to work on the tractor.

I started by pulling all the valves from the donor engine... there where 6 good valves, one ok valve, and one I tossed.

My 3rd son was happy to help today (again).

We cleaned the valves up and then went to work on the tractor. I pulled the valves from it to find 1 ok valve, 3 bent valves, 2 rusty pitted valves, and 2 that the faces had actually rusted off. They were rusted into the block, I actually popped them out, then had to pull the valve stem and guides as one! So, two valve guides were also donated by the parts tractors.

From there, I got to try out my $40 Craigslist Van Dorn valve seat grinder (that also came with a Sioux valve grinder) , it worked perfect!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bigGURN For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2017, 12:56:32 AM
Registered-III

With that done, I pulled out the NewWay carbide valve cutter, cleaned up the valves, lapped them in, cleaned everything up again, and reassembled.

I added 4 gallons of kerosene to the engine and transmission (they share oil) and started cranking to get it all circulated to clean things up. After an hour of that, I dumped some gas in the intake, and after a couple of cranks, signs of life!

Next will be draining the kero, jacking the tractor up on blocks and dropping the oil pan to clean the bottom end.... maybe next week?
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bigGURN For This Post:
Old 08-11-2017, 12:35:22 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,059 Times in 666 Posts

Like those Edison plugs and pattern wire.
The Following User Says Thank You to Russ Hamm For This Post:
Old 08-14-2017, 11:22:31 PM
Registered-III

Worked on the F this afternoon a little more. Started by draining the kerosene and then dropping the oil pan. The kero did its job, everything is super clean inside.... but that oil pan, glad I have a spare I can use!

Then I moved on to the clutch arm and thow out bearing fork. I discovered why the tractor was tore down all those years ago... the throw out bearing had separated! The two halves thread together, but the threads pulled out. Fortunately, I have a spare off the parts engine. BUT it ment pulling the engine.

With luck, I'll get a little time one evening I can work on it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bigGURN For This Post:
Old 08-15-2017, 09:23:48 PM
Registered-III

I had plans of getting the engine back into the F this afternoon and after a little more cleaning, I'd have it running.... So I first soldered the brass oil float back together, which after sitting overnight in solvent was nice and clean. It now floats and when forced down into the water, no leaks, a win!

Then.... all was well until I looked at the clutch disk and found that it was cracked.

Upon inspection of the donor, it has been cracked, previously welded, and currently is once again cracked... so I pulled the clutch out of the F apart and we'll be welding it up. I did get the back transmission cover off and clean the sludge, wasp nest, and other items out of it.

Last edited by bigGURN; 08-15-2017 at 10:53:44 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to bigGURN For This Post:
Old 08-15-2017, 09:27:55 PM
Registered-III

Cleaned the oil pan up and everything else, so once the clutch disk is welded, I'll be able to go back together...

oh and I knocked the tags off the donor and installed them on the F so a win there!

Lights out. Waiting for the boys and I to get back to her.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to bigGURN For This Post:
Old 08-16-2017, 09:12:16 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Cletrac Model F Tractor: The Next Project

Outstanding! Thanks for sharing.
The Following User Says Thank You to KeithW For This Post:
Old 08-16-2017, 07:46:44 PM
Registered-III

Work on the F today: Not nearly as exciting this evening. I made it home from work a little early, so I cleaned up the rear transmission cover and reinstalled it. I also grabbed the draw bar cross mount that goes between the track frames from the parts pallets and test fit it (bottom of picture).

From there I worked on removing a few more pieces of the added "modifications" but no time to get too in depth with the F this evening. Once the clutch plate is welded, I can really work towards getting her back together.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigGURN For This Post:
Old 08-16-2017, 10:41:17 PM
Subscriber

What is the diameter of the spline shaft? I see it is 10 spline. 1 1/8 X 10 spline was a common disc for GM. I believe they come in 10,11,and 12 inch. They would have cushion springs but might be a better option than welding.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:34:44 AM
Registered-III

It is a GM spline. The issue is the offset in the plate, it has a 3" off set in it. All the automotive plates I can locate have 0 offset and that would never work with the throw out assembly on this.
The Following User Says Thank You to bigGURN For This Post: