Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

KTA M&M Minneapolis Moline Twin City Project

this thread has 80 replies and has been viewed 8047 times

Old 05-09-2018, 09:27:08 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,059 Times in 666 Posts
Default Re: KTA M&M Minneapolis Moline Twin City Project

This is how it installs, I may have to tap a hole or two in the hub and notch the retainer to keep it from turning, the retainer has some raised spots originally that sit in the hub splines keeping them from turning.
I am still planning on getting some original rears in the future, even welding up cutouts. But this will get us by in the meantime, and the IH wheels will still be usefull.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	102_1075 (1).jpg
Views:	88
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	310096  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Russ Hamm For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2018, 08:41:22 AM
Registered-II

Thanked 1,140 Times in 442 Posts

Throttle linkage and U governor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1259.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	310140
The Following User Says Thank You to Molinegb For This Post:
Old 06-24-2018, 02:09:13 PM
Registered

Default Re: KTA M&M project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Blaney View Post
I saw that "Waterloo" KTA sell at auction years ago, and saw it again, a few years later restored as pictured above. My KTA is a 1935, and it too had the early Prairie Gold over top of the Grey. I have a hunch that it was the dealers applying the Prairie Gold to the grey tractors as a way to brighten them up while sitting on the lot beside the newer models.
Hi: Wow was I surprised to come across a picture of our KTA on here. Did you happen to this tractor at the Cookstown show in 2009? It's our KTA Waterloo. We finished the restoration and paint on this tractor and the third owner of this tractor (friend of ours and my brother) done the initial restoration before it got sold to a guy in Stratford where it sat for 10yrs in the weeds. This gentleman and my brother had done his research and apparently the KTA Waterloo was one of the first of the Prairie Gold colour and most were shipped out to the Prairie provinces. I believe it was one of 350 made with the Waterloo? The son of the second owner in Milton remembers pulling stumps with this KTA and I have pictures of him on it again after we finished it... Which was really cool... We are proud of our KTA

---------- Post added at 02:09:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:05:08 PM ----------

Nice restoration... We are the ones that own the KTA Waterloo that you posted on your thread..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to catdozer For This Post:
Old 06-26-2018, 10:04:11 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdozer View Post
Hi: Wow was I surprised to come across a picture of our KTA on here. Did you happen to this tractor at the Cookstown show in 2009? It's our KTA Waterloo. We finished the restoration and paint on this tractor and the third owner of this tractor (friend of ours and my brother) done the initial restoration before it got sold to a guy in Stratford where it sat for 10yrs in the weeds. This gentleman and my brother had done his research and apparently the KTA Waterloo was one of the first of the Prairie Gold colour and most were shipped out to the Prairie provinces. I believe it was one of 350 made with the Waterloo? The son of the second owner in Milton remembers pulling stumps with this KTA and I have pictures of him on it again after we finished it... Which was really cool... We are proud of our KTA

---------- Post added at 02:09:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:05:08 PM ----------

Nice restoration... We are the ones that own the KTA Waterloo that you posted on your thread..
That picture came off the internet looking up kta images. Very nice tractor.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Russ Hamm For This Post:
Old 06-26-2018, 02:24:33 PM
Registered-II

Knew of KTA Waterloo that was north of Brandon Mb. Think it went south. Was another KTA on steel went to Russell On
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Molinegb For This Post:
Old 06-26-2018, 04:12:09 PM
Registered

Thats cool... we seen one a few years back at auction in Michigan as well.. you don't see them often at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to catdozer For This Post:
Old 07-09-2018, 10:33:43 AM
Subscriber

Frustration set in yesterday when the water pump started leaking for the third time, I went to pack it again and it still leaks some. I know ill have to take it apart and check the shaft but I wondered if the M&M experienced on here could give me some advice. Ive been using graphite packing that may be a little small but i'm not sure. I forgot to measure it but its at least 1/4", was considering putting in some Teflon packing this evening. Iv'e packed it so many times now that the threads are concerning me now, has good threads about 1/4" in to all the way turned in.
Im running out of time as the show is three weeks away now, should be working on threshing machines.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:43:10 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,004 Times in 311 Posts

How badly does yours leak? I have the exact same issue with my KTA. I too have been using 1/4" Graphite packing. My KTA develops a steady drip soon after start up. The drops catch on the rotating shaft and get spit out a few feet beside the tractor. Generally, a very slight turn of the packing nut stops it.

I have yet to tear into my water pump but I am guessing the shaft is worn or pitted, although it doesn't look that bad when I back the packing nut out.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:39:22 PM
Registered-II

Shafts worn or rotted out. Mike Tessman in TX has new ones.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:18:52 PM
Subscriber

A friend told me about some Teflon packing that he picked up at a local mom and pop plumbing shop, it is 5/16" square, looks like it is braided rope completely molded into a square with white Teflon.
I got some, dug out all the packing I put in, put in one ring of this with the ends cut at an angle to lap over and it still dripped a bit. Cut another ring lengthwise so it would be 5/16" x 5/32" and put that in with the other, lapped in a different spot and it quit.
Started seeping a lil bit and a tightening stopped it completely, so far so good. And the packing nut actually has some room to tighten more, just a little bit. I hope this will get me by for the show, then we may have to replace the shaft.
The Following User Says Thank You to Russ Hamm For This Post: