Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Swapping a Friction Disk on a Heider Motor Cultivator

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 672 times

Old 07-06-2018, 12:14:44 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,774 Times in 756 Posts
Default Swapping a Friction Disk on a Heider Motor Cultivator

Due to a new computer, I lost my old video editing program so took the opportunity to upgrade. Tested it out putting together this video of the swapping the paper disk on a Heider Motor Cultivator.

It wouldn't have been so bad if we hadn't picked the hottest days of the year so far to work on it. Decided it was easiest to pull the radiator and hood and slide the engine forward. After we did it, we decided this was probably how they intended it to be done. No wonder so few lasted.

Driving footage is from our demonstration at the Geneseo IL AE&TA working farm show in September.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2018, 07:38:24 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 27,104 Times in 6,827 Posts
Default Re: Swapping a friction disk on a Heider Motor Cultivator

Paul,
How are you finding those frictions stand up under load? I am going to need one one of these days. I always make my own from masonite, but those look so nice.
Cheers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Old 07-06-2018, 02:15:30 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,774 Times in 756 Posts
Default Re: Swapping a Friction Disk on a Heider Motor Cultivator

To be honest, we haven't given one a good workout yet. We swapped one onto our Heider 12-20, but due to cooling issues and some other things we've yet to work it out. We will cultivate with this motor cultivator some so that will be a test, and when we get the 9-16 Heider D done, we plan to plow with it (that's the larger disc in the picture with 2 of them).

That said, I've seen a few of these used on other machines for belt pulleys and they have held up well, with the usual caveats. The company that makes them is the direct successor to Rockwood so they are as close to original as you can get. That actually can be an issue, because they have specs for most of the original Rockwood products, but as we found in the case of our 12-20, they actually had 3 different specs, and the one we went with turned out to be off a little. If you order one, I'd make sure I had relevant specs ready to go. They aren't cheap, but they are nice. We thought about going the Masonite route, but decided to go this route instead.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul Searl For This Post:
Old 07-06-2018, 06:22:26 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,561 Times in 2,145 Posts

We put one on the 12-20 Heider a few years ago & it's been fine but haven't worked it hard.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oilpulled For This Post:
Old 07-07-2018, 05:03:15 AM
Registered-I

I let one make from sort of masonite, but don't know what sort.
A frends son made it a school project.
3 of these rings are exactly the normal width.
But I don't know yet if it is working, I'm still working at this tractor...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Friction Heider.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	213.5 KB
ID:	313807  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to veroude For This Post: