Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

FM light 32 vlt light plant

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 2385 times

Old 12-18-2003, 05:32:00 PM
Bill

Default FM light 32 vlt light plant

I going great guns on my lighting plant restoration.. Just ran into another snag..

I'm powering the (32 volt) generator from an electric motor while I get it sorted out. The good news is after a quick polarization it is putting out around 40.5 volts at the RPM I'm running it at & will light a 50 watt bulb at partial brightness..

Now the bad news: It only works on the HIGH switch setting & there is no output on the 6 volt wire going to the ignition coil.. Also the output appears to be the same on both the battery charging wire & LINE wire..

I have found a couple of wire diagrams on this site but between the two I found there are some big gaps in the circuitry shown & not enough information to trouble shoot the system..

It looks like someone has worked on it before as there are some soldered wires & terminals that don't look original..

The terminals seem to be marked but don't all match the on line wire diagram I found..

Any chance someone has (or can point me to) a good clear wire diagram of the generator control panel? It's a Fairbanks Morse 1-1/2 hp home lighting plant (32 volt)..

Also can anybody furnish a quick (easy to understand) overview of how the field is controlled & whether or not the resistor powers the field or grounds it, & if the line output is the same as the battery charging output on all settings..

I really want to get it working correctly but will need to understand the system before I can find the problem..

Thanks for all input ..........Bill
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2003, 09:34:13 AM
Gus Simms

Default Re: FM light 32 vlt light plant

Bill, I'll do this in 2 parts, because I'm posting a wiring diagram and it's schematic. The diagram you found on this sight was posted by me, but my scanner was giving fits when I originally scanned it. I've since put it out of it's misery with my turkey roasting light plant. I'll post the diagram first.

Old 12-21-2003, 09:51:18 AM
Gus Simms

OK, Part one posted. The three position switch on the panel selects the tap on the resistor unit which in turn limits the voltage supplied at the field, which then varies the generator output. The resistor also supplies the buzz coil. Battery and line voltage are the same as there is no other regulation on the panel. The cutout prevents current flow to the generator when it is not running. If you have no output on some of the resistor terminals, it's either burned out or there is a bad connection. The only color I've seen is DARK GREEN, which sometimes appears to be almost black.

Old 12-21-2003, 11:01:43 AM
Bill

Gus, thanks a lot.. I really appreciate those wire diagrams. It sure makes life easier for me.

I did manage to get it working correctly after posting the above & found the problem was the common wire out (or into) the rotary switch was hooked to the wrong contact. Your furnished wire diagrams show exactly what I found. It would have been much easier if I had your wire diagrams first. The good news is I now fully understand the operation of the generator & controls (well almost).

I still have one area that might not be correct & that is the buzz coil power supply. It probably won't effect my restoration as my unit has a rotary mag on it. (I think the unit was used without batteries so a mag was installed).

The problem is (I think, but I'm not sure) the output between terminal 13 & 32 (that's the buzz coil's supply circuit) is line voltage (between 20.5 volts & 43 volts) no load but only pulls down a few volts below line when I add a resisted load in that circuit.. If I increase the load across 13 & 32 enough to pull the voltage down into the 10-15 volt range the control panel resistor gets very hot & the generator really starts working. So here's my question if you can answer it (or take a good guess) --Is that buzz coil circuit supposed to supply high voltage? If not, was there a resistor added at the buzz coil? Anything you can tell me on that buzz coil circuit will be a big help.. Thanks..

Again, I appreciate what you have posted for me here... Merry Christmas..

Bill
Old 12-23-2003, 07:55:38 AM
Gus Simms

Bill, The manual says the output of buzz coil circuit is 6 volts. There are no other resistors in the circuit. If I'm correct,you should probably get about 6 volts less at terminal 32 than line voltage . The other 6 volts gets used by the buzzcoil. If the buzzcoil sounds mormal and is not screaming, then you probably have the right voltage.
Old 12-26-2003, 10:43:56 AM
Bill

Thanks Gus, I seem to be getting more voltage than 6 volts from the buzz box feed terminal (measured to ground) but without knowing the load a buzz box puts on that terminal I can't be sure..

I'm using the engine with a FM rotary mag on it at this time as that is how it has been used for years in the past. I guess I will just let it go the way it is for now & when I find the correct buzz box for it I will address the voltage issue..

Thanks again & have a good Holiday................

Bill
Old 02-19-2004, 01:28:16 PM
andrew

Do you know what model plant you have? if it uses the 1 1/2 HP special electric engine? (looks like the 1 1/2 Z engine) S/N or year built? I may have, or can let you know who may have an owners manual (FM 2575E) which covers the 1 1/2 and 3 home light plants - 1925-28 + or - a few years. My 3 hp light plant uses a model T coil mounted in a box that is mounted on the side of the hopper. In the magneto run T,s these coils got up to 17 volts from the mags.