Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants Antique Generators, Light Plants, Typically 24, 32 or 48 volt although some are 110 volt. DC Lamps, Motors and appliances.

Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants

Identifying Delco-Light light plant

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 3404 times

Old 09-27-2010, 11:07:50 PM
Registered-I

Question Identifying Delco-Light light plant

A new user here, first post & first project engines.. I recently bought a Delco light plant, was told it was 32 volt. That's about all I know about it. I've been searching the web, but haven't found one looking like it. Close but not same. My plant has a tapered shroud over the cylinder, not straight. It's about 2" larger at the base than at top. More confusing though is that it has a Stromberg carburetor on it. The carb opening points up, so I've no idea how it would connect to the large vertical tube. Also the gas tank is mounted high up on the shroud, not mid-way as most appear to be. Serial number is 84897, but the other data plates are gone. Can anybody help tell me what I've got? Is this someone else's modification? I know it's missing lots of parts, but I'd still like to make it run again, generator or not.. Thanks in advance! Wes
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3730_13.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	88747   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3730_14.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	88748  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2010, 08:14:34 AM
Registered-I

Default Re: Identifying Delco-Light light plant

This is a modified model 850. Someone has set it up to use as a stationary engine. Dale Burkman
The Following User Says Thank You to Dale Burkman For This Post:
Old 09-29-2010, 12:05:07 AM
Registered-I

Thanks Dale! The more I looked for pictures/info, the more I suspected that what I had was not original. Well it seems this project just got more complicated..ha Any idea where I could get hold of a manual or service info for an 850?
Old 09-29-2010, 03:24:55 PM
In Memory Of

WesPete66;

I have a manual for the Model-850, but you have only about one half of a Model-850. Fifty percent of the manual deals with the electric panel (which is part of the generator), so you don't have any electric parts to work with. With out the electric panel you won't be able to start it electrically, back to hand cranking, bad deal.

The mixer has been replaced with a float type carburetor. That's the reason the fuel tank is as high as the carb. You can see on the air tube where the original gas tank bracket was riveted on. The reason for the fuel tank being close to the fly wheel, is because, they were made to burn kerosene and it needed to be warm or hot before it burned properly. The fly wheel fan pulled air throught the cylinder and generator and blew hot air on the fuel tank. There was a "cap" that fit on top of the air tube around the cylinder. Most of those have been pitched long ago. The valves and rocker arms were oiled manually and after about three times removing the cover, it was put on a shelf or just throwen on the ground. When the generator was moved in the future the cap was long since lost. It really isn't needed to operate the generator, it just made a finished look to the unit.

Those generators used the generator as an electric starter. They need to turn about one half running speed to get them started, that's around 600 rpm. They are very hard to start with a crank.

I would suggest to you to try to find another Model-850 with the parts you need and make one out of two. The mixer is a problem, because they nearly always go with the engine, so you won't be able to find one very easy by it's self. Iv'e got two of them, but they are still on engines and I'd have to sell you the whole engine just to get the mixer.

I think you have a pig without the poke.

If you have any furthur questions, feel free to contact me. I'll try to be a bit more positive, but facts are facts, non the less.

"DELCO DON"Southern Illinois
The Following User Says Thank You to Don C. Wiley For This Post:
Old 09-29-2010, 10:44:03 PM
Registered-I

Thanks Don! Well looks like I didn't do so well on buying this engine. I'll have to work on the others first then & think on this one.. On the brighter side, I've learned a lot about Delcos already just by having this in my garage! Thanks again! Wes
Old 10-20-2010, 12:09:07 AM
Registered-I

OK, so I've been looking at this partial Delco 850 I now have & had a crazy idea.. Would it be possible to rig up a car starter to turn this thing over to get it running? Kind of like a top fueler or funny car..ha Sure would like to make it run again if I could..
Old 10-20-2010, 06:41:59 AM
Registered-II

easest way would be to mount a large v belt pully and starter generator from an old briggs or kohler engine.

Brian A.