Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Kohler Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Kohler Generators Restoring, maintaining and operating vintage Kohler generators.

Kohler Generators

30RZ262 - Needs Identity

this thread has 19 replies and has been viewed 2588 times

Old 12-22-2014, 01:40:11 PM
Registered

Default Re: 30RZ262 - Needs Identity

Excellent, looks like I can start taking a closer look and surveying what needs to be repaired.

Anyone have info/experience on the quality and reliability of these units?

I guess want to make sure worth it before putting money in.

Thanks much for the manuals Isaac, if anyone has other technical manuals that would be of use they would be appreciated.

Merry Christmas.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2014, 03:34:14 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,154 Times in 914 Posts

I would consider them some of the best choices in major manufacturer generators in that size range. Old enough to not have too much environmental junk, new enough to still have good parts support. The Decision Maker 3 was also the point where Kohler got it right after the old Decision Maker 1 variants and the hated Decision Maker 2, add to all this the Fast Response II generator end and you have a great unit.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:06:25 PM
Registered

Great, high praises thats reassuring. I will probably hold off on getting elbow deep until the Spring but use the Winter as time to read up.

Is there a better place than others for parts or is a general web search the best way to source components?

Also is the Ford Power Engine one of those that are generally covered by the Chilton manuals or a special item?

Thanks.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:07:35 PM
Subscriber

I have a similar vintage diesel powered 30ROZJ, so can't really comment on the ford engine other than what I have read, which is it is a fairly standard off the shelf engine. As to the rest I have thankfully not needed all that many parts for mine, and the parts I have bought have came from either ebay or partsfortechs.com . Mine was bought from a GL auction, and was left sitting outside with the exhuast open, so the engine had seized up, thankfully though I was able to get it freed up and it has ran mostly fine since then (4 or 5 years now). One thing I would suggest doing is chaging out all the engine parts that have rubber wear parts. I am not sure of the age of your geneator, but assume it is similar to mine (built in 1990), as I also have the older style vent cover, etc. This includes not only hoses, and belts, but also mechanical fuel pump if you have one, along with oil pressure senders, radiator cap, and probably also temperature senders. One of these items I missed changing out when I bought mine was the oil pressure pre-low alarm pressure sender, all this does is light a warning light, before you get to shut down low oil pressure which uses a different sender. Last year that sender failed in a rather dramatic way during a test run, I had previously noticed it was ooozing a bit of oil, then on a test run the oozing became a gusher, the rubber core of the sender had rotted out and and oil was shooting about 2 feet out from the side of the engine onto the battery. Other than the rubber wear items listed above, filters, etc. about the only things I have had to replace were the battery voltage meter (the needle fell off the old one at some point), and the front panel board that has all the warning lights and the switches, I was having problems with the switches not making good contact, causing shutdowns / or non-start situations.

Ike

p.s. I bought the replacement front panel board off ebay for about half the price it sells for at partsfortechs, oh I almost forgot I did have to change out the water pump a couple of years ago, it is a nearly 25 year old engine though, so I guess that is not too bad.
Old 12-25-2014, 07:16:43 PM
Registered

Sounds good so far, I will look at all that when giving it a going over hopefully up and running when the Spring weather starts to roll in. Will keep posted.
Old 12-26-2014, 02:39:15 AM
Registered-I

pm me your email and i'll try to get the manuels before the end of the weekend
Old 12-27-2014, 09:07:58 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,326 Times in 861 Posts

Ford 2.3 liter so called 'pinto' engine but really when this was made it was the Mustang/Ford ranger 4 cyl engine. Should have a turbo. The LP version of this engine IMHO has some trouble getting to 30kw unless you let the turbo spool up, I'm not sure it would ever get there on natural gas. Replace the timing belt, same hard parts as a mid-80's ford mustang/ford 2.3 liter like I said.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:03:36 PM
Registered

Would anyone have a manual on the engine or would an old Chiltons manual be sufficient?
Old 11-20-2018, 06:33:16 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Well that is a Decision Maker 3 controller (maybe 3+, but I am going to guess 3 given the color scheme and older style cooling vents on the generator end).

Here are some links to relevent or close to relevent (for the diesel powered cousins) manuals (note this web site will be going down after Jan 1, so grab them while you can)

http://smfoodservice.com/compressor/tp5700.pdf

http://smfoodservice.com/compressor/tp5750.pdf

http://smfoodservice.com/compressor/tp6353.pdf

I have the same generator can you repost these PDFs please
Old 12-30-2018, 06:54:06 AM
Subscriber

The links have changed, but they are still on the same server, you just need a /html/ between the .com and the /compressor in the link such as
http://smfoodservice.com/compressor/tp5700.pdf should now be
http://smfoodservice.com/html/compressor/tp5700.pdf
The Following User Says Thank You to Isaac-1 For This Post: