Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Kohler Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Kohler Generators Restoring, maintaining and operating vintage Kohler generators.

Kohler Generators

My First Kohler - 6R0Y61

this thread has 135 replies and has been viewed 6392 times

Old 11-26-2017, 12:56:58 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,259 Times in 1,785 Posts
Default Re: My FIRST Kohler - 6R0Y61

Quote:
Originally Posted by I like oldstuff View Post
1tech, not to thread morph, but I also have a B6000 as a daily driver. I did the camshaft plug thing and generally went through the engine for a freshen up this year. Can't get the injectors out though. Any ideas?
If the injectors are like the Yanmar injectors, you can remove them using a slide hammer on the ears of the injector. I can take pictures of my injectors and post later if you want. By the way, it would be almost impossible to remove these injectors any other way including prying.

JohnnyC
New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tech View Post
That almost looks like one of the frost plugs that rotted out of the block of my Kubota B6000. Also behind the water pump (hmmm....?) If the oil was that clean wonder if it was flushed and refilled without doing the cooling system as well. Excellent job on diagnostic step by step
Good point! From the outside, the freeze plugs look new, but who knows from the inside. I will do a few taps to see if the are paper thin.

JohnnyC
New Jersey

Quote:
May I suggest wearing the oldest fithiest clothes you own then toss them.
I was filthy last night and already washed my cloths. My hands still smelled like diesel after a shower and I wore rubber gloves as seen in the video.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyC For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2017, 01:17:13 PM
Registered

JohnnyC, thanks for the slide hammer idea, have to try that next time! The Kubota injectors are 90* not inline like the Yanmar ones, so you can get under the body and with a pry and spacer, but I like oldstuff, make sure the base to head join isn't seized up- you risk trashing the sleeve if it has never been pulled before (mine was still painted in)
Old 11-26-2017, 01:26:19 PM
Subscriber

Having worked on a lot of John Deere equipment with Yanmar engines I will say they are very dependable, well built engines. But....they will not stand over-heating at all and they are not very economical to rebuild. I witnessed several engines junked due to the owners neglect by not cleaning the radiator screen. It was always cheaper to replace the engine rather than rebuild. Parts like undersize bearings, oversize pistons are available but VERY expensive. Nice gen set though! With only 63 hours it should be like new but when you don't take care of things you end up with an expensive boat anchor!! I would pull the engine completely down and inspect everything. Make sure there are no stuck rings and inspect the cylinders. If they look OK give them a very quick hone using a ball hone preferably. Then reassemble with new rings and gaskets. Pay close attention to the head and deck and make certain there is NO warpage . If there is then you are kind up a creek without a paddle. You will never get a head gasket to seal without surfacing the deck and head. Good luck.
Old 11-26-2017, 02:34:23 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
Having worked on a lot of John Deere equipment with Yanmar engines I will say they are very dependable, well built engines. But....they will not stand over-heating at all and they are not very economical to rebuild. I witnessed several engines junked due to the owners neglect by not cleaning the radiator screen. It was always cheaper to replace the engine rather than rebuild. Parts like undersize bearings, oversize pistons are available but VERY expensive. Nice gen set though! With only 63 hours it should be like new but when you don't take care of things you end up with an expensive boat anchor!! I would pull the engine completely down and inspect everything. Make sure there are no stuck rings and inspect the cylinders. If they look OK give them a very quick hone using a ball hone preferably. Then reassemble with new rings and gaskets. Pay close attention to the head and deck and make certain there is NO warpage . If there is then you are kind up a creek without a paddle. You will never get a head gasket to seal without surfacing the deck and head. Good luck.
What he said more elequently than I wanted to about Yanmar parts.
Old 11-26-2017, 03:50:56 PM
Subscriber

freeze out plugs.? I remember every older Chrysler v-8 I ever worked on had piles of crud and sand behind the rear most freeze out plugs, Maybe from the original sand casting Seeing all of the crud already in the engine I think I would pull out every freeze out plug just to make it easier to clean out, especially if your gonna keep it or warrantee it. Just my 2 cents. Johnny I think your in for a heck of ride this time, better buckle up. Maybe hide you credit cards from yourself too.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:33:12 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tech View Post
JohnnyC, thanks for the slide hammer idea, have to try that next time! The Kubota injectors are 90* not inline like the Yanmar ones, so you can get under the body and with a pry and spacer, but I like oldstuff, make sure the base to head join isn't seized up- you risk trashing the sleeve if it has never been pulled before (mine was still painted in)
I took a picture of my 3 injectors and marked with red arrows where I used a slide hammer to remove them. If you do it right, you may be able to remove an entire bank of injectors as the same time without removing each individual line as well as the return line. If I tried to pry out each injector, it would have been nearly impossible.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	296995  
Old 11-26-2017, 06:04:16 PM
Subscriber

Well Folks, I got GOOD news and VERY BAD news.... Where do I start? Lets start with the good news....

GOOD NEWS:
This morning I completely freed up all the coolant passages using various tools and stiff wire to break up all the crap in the block. I got into every nook and cranny and dug out some nasty crap. Then I completely flushed the block using water and compress air and the coolant passages looks almost new (see first picture below).

VERY BAD NEWS:
Last night I noticed something that looked like a small pin hole in one of the cylinders. The pin hole looked so perfect as if it was drilled for a specific purpose. I did not pay much attention to it since I was doing a tear down and there was coolant and crud on everything.

After completely cleaning the block's coolant passage this morning I investigated the mysterious hole. The hole was about 1/4" deep and on the adjacent side of the cylinder wall is a freeze out plug. I needed to know if this hole was cavitation into the coolant jacket. To test for this scenario, I carefully filled the coolant passageway in the block with new antifreeze (for the green color - easier to see and trace than plain water) while watching the little hole in the cylinder wall. Sure enough, coolant flowed out into the cylinder. GAME OVER. The block is no good . Look at the second picture below and you will see part of my orange funnel where I carefully poured anti freeze into the block and you will see at the red arrow tip where the antifreeze is flowing out of and into the cylinder. Look at the third picture for a close up of the hole and the anti freeze flowing out of it. I can't believe how perfect that hole is as if it was drilled, but I can only assume that this is the result of cavitation from lack of maintenance to the cooling system.

As I already said, it is game over. At this point there is no fixing of the block and there may be other areas of the cylinder wall that are paper thin and ready to fail.

In conclusion, the root cause of the demise of this nice Kohler was cavitation of the cylinder wall due to lack of maintenance of the coolant system. As the coolant entered the cylinder through the hole, some of the coolant got into the intake manifold when the intake valve was open and eventually the coolant ended up in the other cylinders. When enough coolant got into the cylinders, it hydrolocked the motor. That is all I can say for this Kohler... For now it is a parts machine (see forth picture below).

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	297001   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	207.9 KB
ID:	297002   Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	297003   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	212.7 KB
ID:	297005  
Old 11-26-2017, 06:18:47 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,038 Times in 2,354 Posts

Ouch. Unless you can find an engine or block for cheap yeah, parts it out.
That's a huge hole judging by the flow of coolant. Did someone try to drill out a freeze plug and drill through it? As there's open access to it from the freeze plug hole, could you tap the hole then run a loctited stainless screw into it? Then clean up the bore where the screw protrudes. Or an allen set screw from the bore ID.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:20:25 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,181 Times in 1,486 Posts

Wow, so sorry. With such low hours, the undamaged parts ought to be very good for fixing up other sets in need.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vanman For This Post:
Old 11-26-2017, 06:30:32 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Ouch. Unless you can find an engine or block for cheap yeah, parts it out.
That's a huge hole judging by the flow of coolant. Did someone try to drill out a freeze plug and drill through it? As there's open access to it from the freeze plug hole, could you tap the hole then run a loctited stainless screw into it? Then clean up the bore where the screw protrudes.
MY EXACT THOUGHTS!!!!

After posting my last post, I started thinking about that hole. If my memory is correct, the freeze out plug adjacent to the hole is unpainted where as all the other freeze out plugs are painted Kohler yellow like the block color. I need to go outside and verify this which I will do in about an hour.

If the freeze plug was removed, the easiest way to remove it is to drill a hole and use a slide hammer with a threaded end. It may be possible the person that drilled the original freeze out plug went too far and drilled into the cylinder wall???? If this is the case it may have been done when the new water pump was installed (there is NO question that the water pump is new as seen in yesterday's picture and the freeze out plug looks zinc shinny new too ). The freeze out plug is directly below the water pump.

Investigation will continue!!!! This may be turning into a CSI crime scene!

JohnnyC
New Jersey