Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Kohler Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Kohler Generators Restoring, maintaining and operating vintage Kohler generators.

Kohler Generators

Kohler 20RZ surge/hunts at startup

this thread has 20 replies and has been viewed 634 times

Old 11-06-2018, 07:30:13 PM
Email NOT Working

Default Re: Kohler 20RZ surge/hunts at startup

Never mind then, I have had trouble with Ford ignition coils but only very rarely.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2018, 10:57:34 AM
Registered-III

I checked gas pressure at the genset with my manometer today and itís about where itís always been, about 5Ē WC while running. Lower than Iíd like, but steady and within range according the the 20RZ datasheet.

The lower gain on the speed control helps to prevent the surging and hunting, but there are still occasional speed dips that I can hear (and see) while the unit is running ó itís just more stable recovering from those now.

Something else must have changed somewhere. Iím planning to check the mag pickup, but doubt thatís the problem. Iím thinking the fuel suggesstions might be right, does anyone know the procedure for setting the mixture correctly on this unit?

Bill
Old 11-07-2018, 01:39:28 PM
Registered-III

Looks like the problem might be running a bit lean. I put my manometer on the gas supply this morning and a little over 4.5Ē WC running. I know it has always been low, around 5ish. I was able to adjust the serving gas regulator up about 1Ē, so now itís a little over 5.5Ē while running. I can only adjust up to a little over 6Ē which is still pretty low.

I have to play with the unit some more to be sure, but Iím starting to think it was not happy with the low gas pressure even though itís always worked in the past. Perhaps the lower temps without the block heater running reliably pushed it over the edge. Iíll have to have the gas co swap out the meter and regulator and go up to 11Ē WC.

Hopefully I can get a new block heater on before winter sets in. Local dealer service manager is a friend of mine and recommends the 80-100 temp range.

Bill
Old 01-23-2019, 01:32:22 AM
Registered

Having a similar issue with mine how are you making out with yours? how do you adjust the on board fuel reg? Where you able to fatten the mixture?
Old 01-23-2019, 02:05:58 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,326 Times in 861 Posts

After several years, it's not unusual to need to set the gain.

As for the block heater, I always try to eliminate that silly external thermostat on Kohler, it's a weak point. You can buy that thermostat harness separate, if you really have to have it. Or use the following heater, which is what every other manufacturer uses.
https://www.amazon.com/HOTSTART-ENGI...art+1500w+120v
Old 01-23-2019, 10:52:09 AM
Registered-III

The issue seems to be related to the engine being cold. It never showed the problem when the block heater was working reliably. I think what is happening is oil is circulating well for the lifters (it has hydraulic lifters) when itís cold, so they donít self adjust. This results in the valves being slightly off until the engine warms up a bit, which usually takes maybe 4-5 minutes. Once itís up at operating temperature it runs fine.

I havenít replaced the block heater yet so I canít say for certain that fixes it, but Iím oretty comfident it will. A friend of mine who is the service manager at a Kohler dealer said the 80*F block heater will be fine and even a bit better than the 100*F one, so Iíll be using the lower temp unit to save a bit of money in the winter.

Bill
Old 01-23-2019, 10:59:48 AM
Registered-III

I wouldn't say better, so much as cheaper. "best" would be oil and temp kept as close to operational temp as possible.

IMHO, for home use, I would put the block heater on a switch. Turn it on when the temp maybe is unusually cold, or there are storms brewing and a power outage is likely. In really cold weather you might be spending $50-$150 a month just to keep the generator warm! You're always fighting a semi-loosing battle trying to heat an engine that's open to the cold air with the same coolant that is trickling through the radiator.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:22:37 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegasuspinto View Post
I wouldn't say better, so much as cheaper. "best" would be oil and temp kept as close to operational temp as possible.

IMHO, for home use, I would put the block heater on a switch. Turn it on when the temp maybe is unusually cold, or there are storms brewing and a power outage is likely. In really cold weather you might be spending $50-$150 a month just to keep the generator warm! You're always fighting a semi-loosing battle trying to heat an engine that's open to the cold air with the same coolant that is trickling through the radiator.
When your block heater is off doesn't your alarm go off?
Old 02-07-2019, 04:02:01 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydavesracing View Post
When your block heater is off doesn't your alarm go off?
Not on my set. Not on the ones at work, either, although I think on those there is an ďundertempĒ alarm. Iím not sure if the undertemp alarm will trigger if the engine isnít running though.

Bill
Old 02-07-2019, 04:41:43 PM
Registered-III

There is a low temp alarm on most Kohlers, to let you know if the block heater fails. It's always on but it's not a latching alarm or a shutdown alarm. In other words, this alarm works even when the set is off, but it won't stop the unit from starting (or trying to start at least). As soon as the temp is above the threshold, the alarm quits. The alarm on older Kohlers was just another sender, and it could be disabled by removing the wire.