Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Kohler Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Kohler Generators Restoring, maintaining and operating vintage Kohler generators.

Kohler Generators

Kohler 20resc Natural gas

this thread has 71 replies and has been viewed 1906 times

Old 11-26-2018, 02:51:24 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Kohler 20resc Natural gas

Actually, Iím sure there is an error in my math, quite possibly more than just one!
I also only looked at the engine, not the generator end you have. The numbers are all guesses. 32% is probably overly high. I donít think it would be as bad as you think though, but only at full load. Anything less than full load I donít know. It seems the general rule of thumb is you use about 50% of full load fuel consumption when running only 25% load on the generator.

It is for certain that you need a bigger engine to get the same HP output on gaseous fuels due to the lower energy density though. Thatís the only for-sure thing I can say.

Are you going to be able to up the compression? Iíve heard of issues with valve clearances when doing that, but Iíve never tried it so I know little there.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2018, 05:56:26 PM
Registered

Smile Re: Kohler 20resc Natural gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr7 View Post
Kohler sells a carb heater option, and that is usually supplied by dealers if youíre in a cold enough area to need it. He carb heater is an option you should have.
Bill
Today, I ordered the carb heater.

" You should probably check out the spark plug gap specs. If my memory serves me, it is supposed to be .020. - Mark "

It is .030

I appreciate everyone's wisdom and knowledge. I am enjoying reading all the threads. Thank You !

Kris
Old 11-26-2018, 08:13:27 PM
Registered-I

They say memory is the first thing to go. I am concerned that the problem is not gas pressure or plug gap. What was the weather like on the day it failed? The carb heater is intended to prevent carb iceing during cold damp weather. Also ice usually is formed after starting and running briefly. So while I feel you should have one, I’m not sure it would have helped. On cue is normally included with the generator and merely requires an Ethernet (cat5) cable run to a router and setup. Once installed it would have warned you about the problem before the outage. Very handy.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:05:44 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dieckmann View Post
What was the weather like on the day it failed? On cue is normally included with the generator and merely requires an Ethernet (cat5) cable run to a router and setup. Once installed it would have warned you about the problem before the outage.
I am not sure what the temp was like the day it failed. Here in NY we have been fluctuating between 30 and 50 degrees. I tried to start it on thanksgiving when it was 30 degrees and it would not start. Then tried on Saturday (50 degrees) after I re-set the gap and it started right up. Yes, the generator is oncue ready I would have to run a wire from it to my router. It is not a small task for me though because my router is on the other side of the house and there are a lot of obstacles both inside and out to get to the generator. I spoke to tech who went over the genny and he said oncue is not worth it. It's down more than it works and I would need him to come out and reset it. - Kris
Old 11-27-2018, 10:22:14 AM
Registered-III

I have OnCue running on unit at a remote cottage. No problems over the past two years. Iím not sure why the tech thinks youíd need him to come reset anything, either. OnCue just monitors stuff, it doesnít make the generator stop working.

If you need to run a wire you could use outdoor rated cat5 cabling on the exterior of your house. Commscope makes a good gel-filled cable, but itís messy. There is also ďtoughcableĒ from ubiquity. Lots of options. You can support the cable with the sample nail-on clips youíd use for coaxial cable and you can get those at the box stores.

Bill
Old 11-27-2018, 01:12:08 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Actually, Iím sure there is an error in my math, quite possibly more than just one!
I also only looked at the engine, not the generator end you have. The numbers are all guesses. 32% is probably overly high. I donít think it would be as bad as you think though, but only at full load. Anything less than full load I donít know. It seems the general rule of thumb is you use about 50% of full load fuel consumption when running only 25% load on the generator.

It is for certain that you need a bigger engine to get the same HP output on gaseous fuels due to the lower energy density though. Thatís the only for-sure thing I can say.

Are you going to be able to up the compression? Iíve heard of issues with valve clearances when doing that, but Iíve never tried it so I know little there.

Bill
I have some ideas on what I want to do.
I flip flop between the GX240 and the GX270.
Both share a crank and head with only a 73 and 77 mm bore difference.
I can mill a head ( with the belt sander HA HA ) about .070 and get the compression I desire on the 240.
The 270 can use an aftermarket flat top piston and both will yield compression in the 9.5 to one range ( static ).
.009 after market gaskets also help by shaving about 1cc from the chamber volume.
Dynamic compression on these engines is low too but i am not willing to add a cam or significant speed parts to improve than.

There is a real slick new ignition for these that has a timing advance feature.

I am also looking at the heavier GX390 big block flywheel and version of this new CDI ignition for more rotating mass and better ignition control.

Then maybe look at a better air filter and exhaust to both quiet and improve flow.
I am really not concerned about power losses on NG I can easily make that up with some creative building.

I could look at a head off one of the larger big blocks and mill that with big valves for the 270, this might not work on the 240.
Old 11-27-2018, 01:59:28 PM
Registered-III

Milling with a belt sander eh? Iíve used my drill press (chatters a lot), but never a sander. I guess you use what you have! I still dream of a nice Bridgeport knee mill, then I could use a flycutter...

Anyway, I wouldnít think a belt sander would do well for flatness over the ďmilledĒ face. Have you considered getting a used grinding machine? I see them for really cheap frequently on eBay and other places, frequently with a magnetic chuck included! At the very least, such a machine could even out your beltsander work and get some precision for you.

Bill
Old 11-27-2018, 04:57:35 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Milling with a belt sander eh? Iíve used my drill press (chatters a lot), but never a sander. I guess you use what you have! I still dream of a nice Bridgeport knee mill, then I could use a flycutter...

Anyway, I wouldnít think a belt sander would do well for flatness over the ďmilledĒ face. Have you considered getting a used grinding machine? I see them for really cheap frequently on eBay and other places, frequently with a magnetic chuck included! At the very least, such a machine could even out your beltsander work and get some precision for you.

Bill
You would be surprised what you can do.
Draw filled one head down after welding up the combustion chamber.
As long as you take your time and make them flat there is no issue
Old 11-28-2018, 12:37:21 PM
Registered

Quote:
I have OnCue running on unit at a remote cottage. No problems over the past two years. Iím not sure why the tech thinks youíd need him to come reset anything, either. OnCue just monitors stuff, it doesnít make the generator stop working.

If you need to run a wire you could use outdoor rated cat5 cabling on the exterior of your house. Commscope makes a good gel-filled cable, but itís messy. There is also ďtoughcableĒ from ubiquity. Lots of options. You can support the cable with the sample nail-on clips youíd use for coaxial cable and you can get those at the box stores.

Bill
Bill- You have re-energized my interest now. I will look up Commscope and toughcable. I guess I need a male connector at the router and female at the generator ?

Thanks !
Kris
Old 11-28-2018, 01:41:34 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krislu View Post
Bill- You have re-energized my interest now. I will look up Commscope and toughcable. I guess I need a male connector at the router and female at the generator ?

Thanks !
Kris
Commscopeís part number for the stuff Iíve used before is 5NF4. Itís an excellent product but the gel makes it messy to work with.

There is another ďgel freeĒ outdoor cable by premier, I think (itís been a while since Iíve ordered it). It has a shield, a double jacket, and is a non-halogenated cable (fancy fire rating). Itís expensive though and youíll probably have to buy a 1000 foot RIB.

Female ends are easier to install on the gel-filled cable but you can use males too. I think the generator end can use either (it comes with a little network cable, at least mine did). Iíd bring both male and female connectors just to make sure youíre not missing something you need while youíre at the remote site.

Btw, AMP brand RJ45 male ends for solid wire, the kinds where the part of the pins that grabs the wire looks like a small trident, are VASTLY SUPERIOR to any others Iíve ever used, and Iíve used thousands of the things at work. Most ends just have two little spikes and they are no where near as reliable and the trident-like three pronged fork the amp connectors use to bite the wire. The AMP ends use the same crimp tool as the regular ends.

Donít waste youíre money on cat6 cable. There arenít any network standards that need it. Gigabit Ethernet will work just fine on regular cat5 (not even cat5e is needed, but cat5e is most common now). 10 gigabit Ethernet requires cat6A cabling. Just use cat5e and save some money, and get the easier to install connectors.

Bill